Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emmisions inspection FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:58 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
Can I have an "emissions tune" loaded, keep my aftermarket CAI on, and pass a sniff test? I really don't want to have to put the stock air box back on every year.

Yes. The sniff test cares only about the cats.

If all you have is the OBD-II test, you can get an emissions tune for just about everything. Excluding an O/R mid-pipe of course. People have passed with everything else though.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:30 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

What makes a tune an "emissions" tune?

I thought if you have an off road H with your O2 sensors still on, they will trip a CEL.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:20 AM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

In New York, they put your car on the rollers. Can I get an emissions friendly tune if they roll em? Thanks for all the help!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:30 AM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

no emissions for me either!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

Heres a easy way around it. In Illinois emissions is based on population. I couldn't believe it either till some of the people on this site said they live here and dont have to do emission testing. So with a little research you might be able to. Go to your emissions website and see if there is any county's or town small enough that are exempt. If there is and not too far away drive there,go to local post office and buy a P.O. box. Then register your plates to the P.O.box. Go back to emission website change address of plates to P.O.box and you are now exempt from emissions. Its hillarious, Good luck, theres always a loop hole.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:07 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mpaint99
Heres a easy way around it. In Illinois emissions is based on population. I couldn't believe it either till some of the people on this site said they live here and dont have to do emission testing. So with a little research you might be able to. Go to your emissions website and see if there is any county's or town small enough that are exempt. If there is and not too far away drive there,go to local post office and buy a P.O. box. Then register your plates to the P.O.box. Go back to emission website change address of plates to P.O.box and you are now exempt from emissions. Its hillarious, Good luck, theres always a loop hole.

Some states have filled in that loop hole. Texas is one of them. Luckily here, only certain counties have emissions.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:10 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by doode
What makes a tune an "emissions" tune?

I thought if you have an off road H with your O2 sensors still on, they will trip a CEL.

An emissions tune is where all sensors are turned on and everything is working properly to not set a CEL. An O/R pipe will kill any chance of having an emissions tune since the O2's will throw a code pretty quickly. You need cats for an emissions tune to do any good.

So those who need to do emissions and have O/R will need to swap.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:12 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hardcore302
In New York, they put your car on the rollers. Can I get an emissions friendly tune if they roll em? Thanks for all the help!

As long as you have cats you should be fine (assuming everything else is in order too!).
Old 10-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Brenspeed helped me out as well. However, I'm still not sure I would pass a sniff test because we worked around it. Fortunately we don't have those yet....when you have to pass the sniff test it's a whole new ballgame.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:50 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mpaint99

Can't register a car to a po box in PA. States catch onto the loop holes eventually.

Quick Reply: Emmisions inspection FAIL