Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best CAI & Tuner Combo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

This would be a good opportunity now that you have a baseline pull, to see what a tune only would add to the 2010, and then install the c&l and tune. I am curious to see how much improvement is for the tune only, and then the CAI. Ford says our CAI is very efficient, just wondering if we are wasting $ on an intake, when its just the tune that gets us most of the increased HP?
Old 10-17-2009, 09:29 AM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

JLT is making a larger intake especially for the 2010. Not sure if it's out yet but the gains were better than using one of the systems that was available for use on the 2005-2009.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by
...just wondering if we are wasting $ on an intake, when its just the tune that gets us most of the increased HP?
That WOULD be very interesting. Since about 80% of the power add of a CAI & tune combo on an '05-'09 is the tune, then my gut tells me that an aftermarket CAI on a '10 might pick up a minor pony or 2 over the '10's OE intake and that a custom tunes' benefit on a '10 would be sliced in half compared to that on an '05-'09 since the '10's stock tune is probably about midway between the gains of a custom tune and that of an '05-'09 stock tune.

The only difference in crank ratings between the '10 and the '05-'09 is from the '10's updated stock CAI & tune. If we do the math regarding the 15 CRANK HP difference (equivalent to about 13-14 RWHP) between the '10 vs the '05-'09, AND assume the CAI & tune combo on the average '05-'09 gains about 20 RWHP, then Lv XLR8N's statement is valid; the custom tune is the '10's power adder and the aftermarket CAI isn't worth the extra $$ for the average Joe.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:47 AM
afoust50
1st Gear Member

I will have the C&L CAI and Bama tunes this Tuesday and will give a review with pics and a dyno later in the week.

I picked the C&L because IMO it looked the best out of the other CAI's. I picked Bama after sending a few emails to them and a few other companies that write their own tunes....they had the best responses
That would be awesome if you could.. one reason I liked the C&L is because you're totally right it is the best looking out of all of them, but wanted to see a little info performance wise, if you could post your dyno sheet that would be perfect... Thanks!
Old 10-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

There is only a finite amount of air a stock engine can intake, all the CAI's out there can supply more then that amount. The tuning is what uses that air to is potential.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:40 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Are you puking the manufacturer's claims?
When will you kids ever learn?

I did quote their claims only to show that there is a difference between the CAI and tune combo for the 05 - 09's that you are posting about on here.
Nothing wrong with showing manufacturer gains especially when they are showing lower gains then someone is posting.

I have almost always dyno'd each and every part of my cars and know a good thing about manufacturers claims, which is why I like to see for myself.

Originally Posted by Lv XLR8N
This would be a good opportunity now that you have a baseline pull, to see what a tune only would add to the 2010, and then install the c&l and tune. I am curious to see how much improvement is for the tune only, and then the CAI. Ford says our CAI is very efficient, just wondering if we are wasting $ on an intake, when its just the tune that gets us most of the increased HP?
I won't dyno just a tune itself. There have been a few mags that have dyno'd just a tune and there is very little gains to be had. So far it is the CAI that are showing most of the gains, per manufacturer and shops that have dyno'd the 2010 for a mag. This is why I looked into the drive-ability improvements from tuning then the power it makes.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:51 PM
branman1
2nd Gear Member

looking forward to see your review on your intake/tuner combo
Old 10-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Same here, especially since I believe that you have it backwards in post #16. I'll eat my hat if the stand-alone CAI provides more gain than the stand-alone tune.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:21 PM
afoust50
1st Gear Member

Think I made the final decision.. Bama offers a SCT tuner and C&L intake combo package, 3 tunes, it claims the CAI flows 46% more than the stock one... $669 is what the cost is on the website..
Old 10-19-2009, 08:40 PM
fast64ranchero
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lv XLR8N
To answer your question, Bone stock my 2010 made no more power, I've had my car on the dyno 5 or 6 times now, trying tunes, the car feels MUCH faster, but on the dyno and at the track, it's not, if your thinking of just doing a tune, save your money, my next step is ported heads, cams, and LT headers,

Quick Reply: Best CAI & Tuner Combo?