Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter instal problem... never read of this before...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:45 AM
britinmn

Angry Shifter instal problem... never read of this before...

Hi guys!

Installed my new Hurst shifter this weekend - and seem to have come across an unusual problem - i.e. tried searching on the forums, etc. and could not find any mention of this before????

So here's the deal - everything went super smoothly on the install thanks to some of the great write-ups on here - with the exception of the front shift arm bolt, the one nearest the engine.

It was an absolute PAIN to get the darn thing out - just did not seem to be enough clearance between the floorpan of the car and the bolt head as I was undoing it. eventually got it out after much cursing and frustration!!

So I looked back over some of the shifter instal 'how-to' threads e.g. Taco Bills, etc. One thing I noticed that was different from my car is that my '09 GT has some kind of thin noise insulation material attached to the underside of the floorpan that goes over the transmission... in looking at all of the install pics I could find, none of them had this? maybe this is a later year 'improvement'??

So - after installing the Hurst trying to get that one bolt back into place was basically impossible. So, I tried removing the insulation material to see if that would help. Definitely gives me a little more clearance now but still pretty darn tight.

However, I can only get the bolt partially back in now. There is probably a good 1/4 to 1/2 an inch of the bolt showing!! At that point I am scared of the bolt breaking as it is so darn tight! Tried taking the bolt out and re-trying.... lubing the bolt, etc.... but still the same result....

So - I'm going to see if anywhere local has a replacement bolt I can pickup, as my only thought was that I have bent the bolt by removing and trying to install with that noise insulation in place.

Anybody else have any issues with this bolt when replacing the shifter? Or did I get the one GT that has the transmission mounted closer to the floorpan than anyone else, lol!!!

Any experiences/tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

P.S. Anyone looking to do the shifter instal for the first time - this is definitely a 45min/1 hr job ... unless you run into this problem, in which case it becomes a multiple hour and a p***ed off wife project! Oh well... at least I have a comfy couch to sleep on
Old 10-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

pull the bolt out and pick up your trusty hammer

"adjust" that 1" section of drivetunnel with the hammer.

or, use the hammer and convince the bolt it needs to get seated.

bolts are pretty tough things. I doubt you have bent it. That tightness is extremely normal.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

You may have cross threaded the bolt trying to get it back in. If it's tight and there's still bolt left sticking out, I'd almost put money on that being the problem. Take the bolt back out, turn it backwards by hand until you feel it 'fall' into the threads, then check to make sure it's perpendicular to the flange (as best you can), and re-install if it is. If it's not perpendicular, continue turning it backwards till you feel it 'fall' again. Check again for perpendicularity, then install if it is.

Last edited by Kotobuki; 10-19-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:54 PM
07VistaChicago
2nd Gear Member

Yep sounds like a cross thread special...

I would take it out and see if you can see any metal threads coming out. Try and reseat it like Koto says. Good luck and hope it isn't cross threaded
Old 10-19-2009, 02:56 PM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

i know my 09 was the same way. no room in there with that insulation. took almost 2 hours if i remember right. it will go in though. dont forget some lock-tight on these bolts as i just had to tighten the front support bar bolt. backed out about 2-3 full turns in the last 8 months.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

did you actually thread the bolt already?

or just trying to get it into the hole straight first?

I was under the impression you were still trying to get it aligned to go into the hole.

here is that Taco Bill thread
http://forums.themustangsource.com/s...d.php?t=450168
Old 10-19-2009, 04:19 PM
britinmn

Thanks for the tips guys....

It feels like the bolt is 'seating' - I can finger-tighten it at the start, and you can definitely feel the bolt 'seating' if you back it out and go at it again..... can't tell just how perpendicular it gets though...

My initial thoughts were that I had possibly cross-threaded it - when I pulled it out there was no sign of damage to the bolt threads, no tiny metail shavings, etc...

I have a new bolt waiting at the dealership for me to pickup on my way home - I'll pull the bolt back out again and compare it to the new one, then try installing the new one and see if I can get it to work .... if I have the same problem then I'm guessing I cross-threaded it and I'll be a 'little' upset lol!

Fingers crossed!!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

best of luck. I get to try it tomorrow. my Hurst shifter is supposed to arrive today. I'm betting I've got that same sound deadening crap on my 09
Old 10-19-2009, 06:46 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

good luck man take a pic of the underside i would like to see how they put the pad on
Old 10-19-2009, 09:25 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

When i put my mgw in i had the same problem with that insulation all i did was unbolt the cross member for the transmission and lower it just a bit to give some more clearance

Quick Reply: Shifter instal problem... never read of this before...