Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C&L Intake and BamaChips Tuning Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:32 AM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Default C&L Intake and BamaChips Tuning Review

Just received the C&L intake and SCT tuner with 91Performance/Torque/Race tunes.
****I will take some pics tomorrow and update this thread.***

Install was way too easy. The C&L intake is a well made piece and that MAF is huge. Install took about 30 minutes total for the intake and about 10 - 15 minutes to load the tune.

I loaded the 91Torque tune first, we only have 91oct out here and I have been running it since I got the car. First impressions is you can definitely hear the intake start to such air in then the Roush exhaust drowns it out.
I'm not a fan of loud intakes as I rather hear the noise coming out the back.

Now the tune really made the car better to drive, there was a slight hesitation when taking off when stock, that is now gone. And throttle response is nice and quick.
Even with the traction control on it is easy to chirp the tires without trying.
Turn the traction control off and it is alot easier to burn the tires off, you don't have to rev it as high.
I didn't even get on it hard as I did get some deto on a second gear pull.

I then loaded the 91Race tune. I knew there would be a good chance of deto with this tune but kept an ear on it.
THIS is the tune I will be using daily. Throttle response is even better. It doesn't jump out there unless you are heavy on the throttle at stops. But the power is just there. Again I hit some deto in a second gear pull and shut it down.

I got an email to Doug of BamaChips to work out the deto issue. So far his customer service has been great.
After reading all that was going on I figured I would shot him some emails along with some to other tuners and see what their response was when inquiring about an intake and tuner package. He definitely was the most helpful and honest of the bunch.

I'm going to look into the data-logging of the SCT just to get really familiar with it. Can't have something this cool and not know everything about it.

I will be getting on the dyno but not til I get the deto issue taken care of. Hopefully this week I will have some numbers.
I haven't really commented on gains, as I haven't really got on it like I want. It is definitely a different and better car to drive over stock.

Well worth it IMO.

I'll keep this updated with the deto fixes, pics and dynos.

Sorry for the long read.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:54 AM
afoust50
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the update... Would love to see a dyno asap, hopefully mine will be here soon!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:56 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

good review....can't wait to see the actual numbers.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:53 AM
ColoGreyStang10
1st Gear Member

Sorry for the stupid question, but what is deto?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:17 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

Great read! Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ColoGreyStang10
Sorry for the stupid question, but what is deto?
detonation
Old 10-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Hoofprint
2nd Gear Member

I dont know much about detonation but could it be caused if you were given a 93 octane tune and are running 91 octane?
Old 10-21-2009, 04:56 PM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BL00DSH0T

I got an email to Doug of BamaChips to work out the deto issue.

I will be getting on the dyno but not til I get the deto issue taken care of. Hopefully this week I will have some numbers.
I haven't really commented on gains, as I haven't really got on it like I want. It is definitely a different and better car to drive over stock.

Well worth it IMO.

I'll keep this updated with the deto fixes, pics and dynos.

Sorry for the long read.
And the deto issue was......?
Old 10-21-2009, 05:59 PM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

I'm looking at buying that same kit from Bamachips. Please let us know what happens with the detonation issue. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:09 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

Here are the pics.

Today I loaded the 91Performance tune. It is not as snappy as the others but still a good improvement over stock. I can use this tune to do a little sprinted driving. If I go WOT I get slight detonation in the upper rpms of second gear but it is not consistent. Had a couple of pulls and no detonation, then did one later on and I heard it.

Originally Posted by Hoofprint
I dont know much about detonation but could it be caused if you were given a 93 octane tune and are running 91 octane?
Yeah it could, but the tune is listed as 91Performance/91Torque/91Race...so only Doug would know for sure.

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
And the deto issue was......?
The part you quoted meant I shot an email to Doug asking about the CAI and tuner. I just sent the email about the detonation yesterday and a follow up one today letting him know it is in all tunes.

I just got the SCT LiveLink installed on my laptop so hopefully I can get some datalogs if Doug needs them.

Originally Posted by VRFlip
I'm looking at buying that same kit from Bamachips. Please let us know what happens with the detonation issue. Thanks.
I will definitely let everyone know.

I was planing on getting on the dyno tomorrow but on the last WOT pull I got a little detonation so I'll wait and get the tunes fixed first.
My dyno guy is a SCT dealer and Mustang tuner so I want to at least give Bama a shot on the dyno before he wants to see what he can do.

So depending on his price my plan is to see how much power he can give me over the Bama tune. Hopefully it will give some a good reference of how good the tunes are and if dyno tuning is worth the price.

Quick Reply: C&L Intake and BamaChips Tuning Review