Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Rear 1/4 Windows...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 09:01 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Default Replacing Rear 1/4 Windows...

So I'm thinking about doing something cosmetic to the Mustang as it looks pretty much stock save for the Saleen lowering springs (not in this picture)... however I don't want to do the hood right now as that seems to be the cliche thing around here. So I've been toying around with completely replacing the rear windows with a metal plate and having the whole area (roof, side and quarter panels) resprayed so the color blends in well...

This is the best mockup I can do myself, and I think it looks pretty good... I'm going to start shopping quote next week to see what it will cost. How do you all think it looks?
Attached Thumbnails Replacing Rear 1/4 Windows...-img_7189_2.jpg  
Old 10-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Dont like it at all. Doesn't flow well. A whole lot of metal with no lines.

If you want something flush why not just go with SHR, they look nice!
Old 10-24-2009, 10:05 PM
kenny17
2nd Gear Member

I've seen a silver mustang around here that did that, or at least something along the lines of this and it looked really interesting. I didnt get a really good look at it though to decide if i liked it.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:54 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

i wouldnt recommend it, you could try scoops to go with you side scoops, or you could go with a roush ducktail, i love my spoiler, makes a bitchen shadow well what about interior?
Old 10-25-2009, 04:58 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

There was a company/body shop doing a '69/'70 conversion, turning a s197 into a fastback, where this was done with classic body parts, I personally am a fan of this idea and don't see anything wrong with it. I haven't found the post or website about it recently so I don't know what the status is of it, but would be cool to see.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:17 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't

even if you do a louver delete, there is still some sort of body line to break up that big area right there

you idea leaves alot of empty expanse...and would look funny to me
Old 10-25-2009, 07:01 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

I agree it does look rather 'blank' there which is why I'd probably get some sort of graphic painted in the middle... I was thinking maybe an exact replica of the GT/CS emblem on the front quarter panel.

As for the inside, I'd just modify the CDC window blackouts to work. My plan is to have the area covered in sheet metal and then on the inside I'd put some sound deadening material and then the blackout cover over that. Not sure how it would work, something I have to get into more to really understand.

I regards to louvers or scoops, I much prefer the clean look instead of all the plastic 'stick-ons'. I wish my car didn't have the side or hood scoops... other things I plan to remedy in the future. :-)

Thanks for the feedback guys...
Old 10-25-2009, 07:14 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

That silver mustang ... mine. Cervini's quarter deletes

Old 10-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Another option are the ones from Shelby, but with the rivets, not sure it would let you achieve the desired "clean look". But at least they attach with 3M tape, so it would not be permanent if you end up noth liking the look.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:46 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doogie65
Another option are the ones from Shelby, but with the rivets, not sure it would let you achieve the desired "clean look". But at least they attach with 3M tape, so it would not be permanent if you end up noth liking the look.

I used to have the Shelby window covers in silver but since my color scheme changed I ditched them for the black ones.

There was a picture of a stang with the 1/4 windows sealed up exactly like the OP wants to do. Wish I could remember where I saw it.

Quick Reply: Replacing Rear 1/4 Windows...