Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaky Hood.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 04:38 PM
mike_kinda
1st Gear Member

Default Shaky Hood.....

Hy, is there any way to stop the hood from shaking on the highway. I have the stock hood with a scoop. I tried playing with the ajusters but have had no success. Any solutions ?
Attached Thumbnails Shaky Hood.....-dsc02268.jpg  
Old 10-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

put a little bit of grease onto the rubber bumpstops

shut the hood

pop the hood and check the grease contact pattern on the hood and bumpstops.

adjust the bumpstops up until you get a 100% spread of grease. the center of the circle will have less grease and more should be towards the outer edges.

this should put positive pressure on the hood when shut and stop the fluttering. just be sure you don't have too much adjustment as you can bend your bottom layer of metal in the hood.

alternatively, you can spend $100 and install hoodpins like I did. see my sig picture
Old 10-28-2009, 04:58 PM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

+1 on hoodpins, although you can get them from latemodel for $33, which are the ones i use
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...t/Search?q=pin hood&vehicle=Mustang
Old 10-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on continuing to adjust with the bumpstops. If you try a search you'll also find a suggestion about adding a strip of foam insulating tape on top of each headlight in order to divert some air flow from getting under the hood at the outer edges.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:32 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

A few recommendations,

first, adjust those bumpstops like everyone said

second, hood pins, which most aftermarket hoods recommend

third, add the foam as previously said

fourth, if it is flexing in the center of your hood (have a friend with the same issue) try a tower strut bar. If it fits snug enough it should add a bit of reinforcing to your hood which will keep the center from flexing at high speeds. they make some that tie in to the firewall which are the most effective for adding rigidity to the front end steering but even a simple tower to tower brace should help. make sure it is slightly thicker and preferably constructed with two tubes not one.

Anyone with a tower strut bar/brace have hood flex?

I didn't even pay attention to the shaker hood, how does a strut bar work with the shaker if anyone has one?

At this point the biggest factor in that hood shake is probably the shaker which sticks out like a funnel and when air hit it, it goes in the scoop and then down, this will cause the hood to lift
Old 10-28-2009, 06:57 PM
08SilverStang
1st Gear Member

Mine shakes pretty bad too. It kind of pisses me off that Ford can't engineer any better than they did with the hood design. It just looks cheap when i'm going 80+ down the highway and my hood is shaking. And I don't want the hood pin look so i'm pretty much just stuck with it.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
fourth, if it is flexing in the center of your hood (have a friend with the same issue) try a tower strut bar.

Anyone with a tower strut bar/brace have hood flex?
Strut Tower brace won't do a thing for you in the hood flexing department. I have the FRPP one and there is zero contact with the hoodliner when everything is shut

and yes, I had hood flutter @ 60+ mph. I just used it as an excuse for the hoodpins since I wanted them anyways. should have just done the bumpstops, but I like the final outcome

Originally Posted by 08SilverStang
Mine shakes pretty bad too. It kind of pisses me off that Ford can't engineer any better than they did with the hood design. It just looks cheap when i'm going 80+ down the highway and my hood is shaking. And I don't want the hood pin look so i'm pretty much just stuck with it.
saleen makes a hidden hood pin kit.

a nice bit of Billitt bling under the hood, but it looks 100% stock from the outside.

seen it installed on a few cars and actually looks very nice

Last edited by Tylus; 10-28-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:17 PM
08SilverStang
1st Gear Member

saleen makes a hidden hood pin kit.

a nice bit of Billitt bling under the hood, but it looks 100% stock from the outside.

seen it installed on a few cars and actually looks very nice
Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into those.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I cut out a 1"thick dense foam to fill in over the headlights area (spray painted it black) it keeps the air from getting up under the hood. I also set the hood latch assembly to the lowest it will go. I have had no wobble since, very tight fit and the foam cushions the hood.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:13 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

I just had to adjust the bumpstops and it was alll good!

Quick Reply: Shaky Hood.....