Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curse you automatic!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Shredfan
1st Gear Member

Default Curse you automatic!

For various reasons, I had to get my '10 with an automatic transmission which, while okay at the time, has started to bug me a bit. Out of 3 local places I called, 2 said that they don't do "high-performance mods" (/headache) and the third quoted me almost 7 grand. To top it off TCI said their ratchet shifter won't fit the new ones, but they "should" have something ready in 4-5 months.

/rant off
Old 10-29-2009, 03:07 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Who ever said you can't do high perf mods w/ an auto are a bunch of dumbasses. There's guys pushing 400+ rwhp for years w/ an auto and bang on it hard. You just gotta have a tuner who knows what they're doing.

A tune will REALLY make your auto come alive. Believe me. A brenspeed or bamachips tune will totally rock your world. Brenspeed has awesome supercharger packages that are totally safe w/ an auto and make gobs of power that will make vettes envy (well maybe not the z06 or zr1, lol).

It is true the TCI shifter does not work with the '10 since the console is different. It's too bad b/c I have one and it's very nice. But, if TCI says they're working on a 2010+ one that's great. It'll be worth the wait.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:12 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

LOL! My auto is putting down 456rwhp with room to go! Get a hold of Bamachips, Doug can hook you up.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Shredfan
1st Gear Member

Gotta love the quality you get (sometimes, not all the time) at these places. I called a dyno/install shop in Memphis and the guy laughed when I told him what they said. Probably going to be getting a delivery from the Whipple folks soon, so we'll see how it goes then

The guys at TCI are less than 2 hours from me, so they can bet that when something for the '10 hits, I'll be giving them a call.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:13 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

What is the basic power handling for the 5spd auto in our 10 GT's isent the tranny a carry over from 05-09 in the 10's? Just curious whats the power handling of this tranny for a daily driver and being safe?
Old 10-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

From what I've read 450whp is about the limit. After that the auto tends to break. Especially 3rd gear downshifts, very hard on it.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:50 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Who ever said you can't do high perf mods w/ an auto are a bunch of dumbasses. There's guys pushing 400+ rwhp for years w/ an auto and bang on it hard. You just gotta have a tuner who knows what they're doing.

A tune will REALLY make your auto come alive. Believe me. A brenspeed or bamachips tune will totally rock your world. Brenspeed has awesome supercharger packages that are totally safe w/ an auto and make gobs of power that will make vettes envy (well maybe not the z06 or zr1, lol).

It is true the TCI shifter does not work with the '10 since the console is different. It's too bad b/c I have one and it's very nice. But, if TCI says they're working on a 2010+ one that's great. It'll be worth the wait.
I have a tune from DeMolet. I'm running on the 93 octane tune and love it. Do you know how much different the Brenspeed or Bama tunes are? If they're better I'd like to get a tune from them. If I did go with them, how do they go about getting the tune to you, and how much do they charge for it?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:26 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I don't know how different they are from DeMolet (who I've never heard of) but both tunes are great. Although I find my shift pressures are too high on my bama tunes, but that can be changed.

The tunes are around $75 I think. The bama tune may be $50 but I'd have to go check to make sure. When you order a tune from them, they send you the file in email. You then use your SCT software (or diablosport which Brenspeed does not support) to load the file on your tuner.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:20 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

dude, the automatic kicks ***. With just an intake and a tune I ran my best time of 13.2@103.

(-:

As it sits right now, it get's up and goes with only a handfull of mods!

I feel you about the stock auto being a lazy *** bum though lol..
Old 10-30-2009, 12:42 AM
Shredfan
1st Gear Member

Bit of a change, but anybody know for sure if the Shelby quarter window covers will fit the '10? I'm hoping they will, but I've not measured the two against each other.

Quick Reply: Curse you automatic!