Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out with the Shaker, 2KW RMS and two 12s (work log w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:13 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thedrod
If trunk space is a concern, look into fiberglass enclosures that conform to the trunk.

Here is mine. 1 cubic foot of airspace.
http://www.agafitei.com/mustang/sub1.jpg

That looks pretty nice, but is that a vert or maybe the last gen stang? theres no upward slope near the seats, at least not that I can see.

Also whats the cost? I know I spent $58 total on my box, the custom boxes I see in the stangs are like 250+ that I have seen.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:27 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
That looks pretty nice, but is that a vert or maybe the last gen stang? theres no upward slope near the seats, at least not that I can see.

Also whats the cost? I know I spent $58 total on my box, the custom boxes I see in the stangs are like 250+ that I have seen.
It is my '06 GT Coupe.

And yes, it was closer to $200 bucks. But that box you are building will probably slam with that L7 or L5 you have there.

If I could do it again, I would do a hybrid of what you are doing and my current box. I would do a Fiberglass back that conformed to the side of the trunk with a flat mdf front.

The reason you don't see the "slope" is because I have a board right there with my amps mounted to it.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 AM
scheetz83
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by thedrod
It is my '06 GT Coupe.

And yes, it was closer to $200 bucks. But that box you are building will probably slam with that L7 or L5 you have there.

If I could do it again, I would do a hybrid of what you are doing and my current box. I would do a Fiberglass back that conformed to the side of the trunk with a flat mdf front.

The reason you don't see the "slope" is because I have a board right there with my amps mounted to it.

thedrod, Do you have a pic of your amp rack? Just looking for ideas. I plan on making a my sub box eventually.... when i have the space to work on it. I also will use MDF and fiberglass in the construction. My first box i built I used fiber glass to form some cup holder in to it. It was for my 88 Chevy pickup std cab. I installed bucket seats and then built the box to go between them. With coup holders in the front.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:14 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scheetz83
thedrod, Do you have a pic of your amp rack? Just looking for ideas. I plan on making a my sub box eventually.... when i have the space to work on it. I also will use MDF and fiberglass in the construction. My first box i built I used fiber glass to form some cup holder in to it. It was for my 88 Chevy pickup std cab. I installed bucket seats and then built the box to go between them. With coup holders in the front.
I do not have a picture of it, but I used this post here and copied the dimensions from his.

Scroll to the last picture with the drawing.

Mine did not have the amps showing....I just used the board and mounted them straight to the board behind the seat so they are invisible when you look in the trunk and when you look in the car.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/6023097-post10.html

Here is a pic when I was making mine.

http://www.agafitei.com/mustang/amp_rack_primer.jpg
Old 11-03-2009, 03:41 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

that looks pretty cool, but I wouldn't seal our trunks off any more from the cabin then they aleady are, you got a box in a box. In that kinda setup, you should add some backs to you 6X8s in your rear lid there, the pressure from the subs is probably making them useless.

I do like the look of it though, I do want to do the inlay on my setup I'm doing.. but I am getting really lazy and do not know if I am going to get into it at this stage.

Last edited by JDWalton; 11-03-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:14 PM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Kid is only four??

What are feeding him? He looks bigger than most 6 year olds.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I was always the tallest kid in my class...... unitl about 4th grade when I stopped growing..... I was like 5' 6" in 4th grade, I'm 5' 8" now, its one of lifes cruel jokes. hopefully he gets a little taller, me and wife both have taller people on both sides of family.

As for the project, got both boxs finished, got the cover for the spare tire trimed, neither box overlaps spare at all, there perfect. Got the pannel cut to mount the amp, but realized how big my amp and cap are, so i am going to have to come up with something creative for them. Might mount the cap somwhere it cant be seen, just to have the amp look clean and install not look cramped. Bought some carpet but its not enough to do the whole thing, so I'm gonna use it on the boxs, and saved the carpet and the section that covers the spare, so I will use that to cover the amp rack, and instead of hinging the pannel, the carpet will be my hinge ;-) Kinda tired and hard to explain, but tommorow I will have some pics up and you will be able to see, it shouldnt look too bad.

Last edited by JDWalton; 11-03-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:26 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Well today went pretty good. Sure, work gets in the way of the whole hobby thing but I made decent progress today. Hopefully tommorow I am wirring the amp. Heare are the photos from today. I need to do some clean up, some vaccuming and paint behinde a few seams to make it look really clean, but I like it.

From the back:
It takes a close eye at this angle to notice, though I maintained the angle and appearence of the trunk line, the upslope there is actualy a false floor, so I will be able to keep the wirring all under it and clean, youll see what I mean.

And from the sides:

Also, to thedrod, the subs are L7s and I'm feeding them with 2,000 watts RMS, yeah, they should pound.

From the passenger compartment:

and this is what I meant about the false floor:

--me--> <--me--
Old 11-04-2009, 10:04 PM
whitegt500

hey i was just wondering, what head unit are you using, or still using the stock unit?
Old 11-04-2009, 11:08 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

This reminds me, I still need to build my box for my 12" I bought last x-mas. It's been sitting in the cardboard box, along with the amp and my other speakers for almost a year. lol! I did install my new head unit (6 in dash dvd) a few months ago.

Quick Reply: Out with the Shaker, 2KW RMS and two 12s (work log w/pics)