Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new tail light bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:28 PM
squawskier1080
1st Gear Member

Default new tail light bulb?

Hi all, so my back right tail light is out and I was wondering if there is something a little better looking than the stock bulb I could replace it with, like perhaps some sort of an led setup? I didn't see anything on AM or brenspeed.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:29 AM
scheetz83
2nd Gear Member

here is a video of the Meter4it sequencer kit along with the www.V-LEDs.com led bulbs. Some people might think i am a idiot for spending $160 on 6 bulbs for the taillights.... and you know... I wont argue I still am in shock. BUT Those bulbs are SOOOO brite its unreal. And the chaser lights.... will i might give some one a seizure one day

http://www.youtube.com/user/my05stan.../0/uyWoeUqN-qc

If you do go LEDs you will need the load resistor so you dont get the Bulb out warrnings. The SJB is to smart for its own good when it comes to LED bulbs. I went LED in all my lights and I have load resistors at all corners.

Any questions let me know

Last edited by scheetz83; 11-06-2009 at 01:10 AM. Reason: My bad thanks 2007CalSpec for pointing out the URL
Old 11-06-2009, 12:44 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scheetz83
here is a video of the Meter4it sequencer kit along with the www.V-LED.com led bulbs. Some people might think i am a idiot for spending $160 on 6 bulbs for the taillights.... and you know... I wont argue I still am in shock. BUT Those bulbs are SOOOO brite its unreal. And the chaser lights.... will i might give some one a seizure one day

http://www.youtube.com/user/my05stan.../0/uyWoeUqN-qc

If you do go LEDs you will need the load resistor so you dont get the Bulb out warrnings. The SJB is to smart for its own good when it comes to LED bulbs. I went LED in all my lights and I have load resistors at all corners.

Any questions let me know

I think you meant V-LEDS.com and not V-LED.com. They're different sites.

It's good to see that LED bulbs work with the Meter4it kit since I have the same kit. I plan to get these when I have the money...http://superlumination.com/images/au...ider2_r_wm.jpg

Last edited by 2007CalSpec; 11-06-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:11 AM
scheetz83
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
I think you meant V-LEDS.com and not V-LED.com. They're different sites.

It's good to see that LED bulbs work with the Meter4it kit since I have the same kit. I plan to get these when I have the money...http://superlumination.com/images/au...ider2_r_wm.jpg

My bad thanks 2007CalSpec for pointing out the URL. Fixed!

I dont know what i was thinking when i did not buy the Spiderlights that Vleds offers. I gusse i was already wondering why i was spending $150 on bulbs and could not bring myself to spend $210. Know i kick myself in the a-- when i think about it. That site you have there has some pretty good deals on bulbs. The load equalizers are a little hi thou and with the mustang they are a must My car has
25ohm resistor up on each front corner tied to the running lights. Then on the back i have the 3ohm resistors on each side plus
diodes wired between each light and the plug going to the car. Its a little tedious but i feel it was worth it.

I just noticed Vled has a new style bulb for the front corners. the running light is white to match the HID look then when you turn the blinker on it blinks amber..... I might have to ge...... NO my bulbs are fin.........maybe

ahhhh a hate buying thing there is always something newer or better coming out..

Last edited by scheetz83; 11-06-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:25 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

i bought my led bulbs from ebay, the seller was iled. Each bulb has 32 leds. Paid $20 with free shipping, they come in pairs of 2.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:27 PM
squawskier1080
1st Gear Member

wow, I definately can't afford 150+ on lights, I like the sound of 20 bucks a pair though.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:28 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

My bad thanks 2007CalSpec for pointing out the URL. Fixed!

I dont know what i was thinking when i did not buy the Spiderlights that Vleds offers. I gusse i was already wondering why i was spending $150 on bulbs and could not bring myself to spend $210. Know i kick myself in the a-- when i think about it. That site you have there has some pretty good deals on bulbs. The load equalizers are a little hi thou and with the mustang they are a must My car has
25ohm resistor up on each front corner tied to the running lights. Then on the back i have the 3ohm resistors on each side plus
diodes wired between each light and the plug going to the car. Its a little tedious but i feel it was worth it.

I just noticed Vled has a new style bulb for the front corners. the running light is white to match the HID look then when you turn the blinker on it blinks amber..... I might have to ge...... NO my bulbs are fin.........maybe

ahhhh a hate buying thing there is always something newer or better coming out..

Where exactly did you connect the diodes between the bulbs and the connector? What kind of diodes did you use? Thanks!

I have Switchback LED turn signal bulbs that are like 6000K HIDs in running light mode and alternate white to amber when signaling. The V-led ones don't alternate but stay amber when signaling. I got mine here...
http://www.autolumination.com/switchback.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS-Uh4huNj8

By the way, Ebay has some Spiderlites for a pretty good price. $49.99/pr, so about $150 for six bulbs. That's where I'll be buying them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-Arm...#ht_8571wt_798

Last edited by 2007CalSpec; 11-06-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:09 PM
scheetz83
2nd Gear Member

I did not know there were different types of switchbacks. IDk what i would like better. I do want a set thou! Just got my new set of Retro HID tonight!!! Just got to wait for the bad weather to pass know so i can install them

It looks like Vleds has to types but are only showing type 2 on there site Copied Directly from Vleds site

"When the parking lights are on the color will be white, when the turn signal is applied the white will shut off and the amber color will blink only. When the turn signals have been shut off the white color will come back on. These are different from our Type 1 dual color bulbs.

Type 1 alternates white and amber when the turn signal is applied
Type 2 only the amber flashes when the turn signal is applied."
Old 11-06-2009, 09:45 PM
scheetz83
2nd Gear Member

I would post the PDF of the drawing that Vled sent me but the file is over the forum limit. PM me with your email and i can send it to you. If you go in to the trunk and remove the rear panel to show the Light wiring there is a Plug on both sides of the car In that plug there are there wires that you need to clip and install 1amp diode on each wire

And again i have a Sequential kit so this may of may not be necessary for anyone thats not.

With out the diodes installed my car blinker would blink once then only the center light would come on but it would not blink. This was difficult to diagnose for me because i went in there with a test light and all the wiring was working but as soon as the Car would send power to a blinker LED the SJB saw it was a Burnt out bulb and Kills power to the wire. It was only after I got with the Customer support with Vleds that I was able to get everything figured out.

That is why i dont mind spending the extra money on these LEDs i feel they are superior to the Ebay LEDs and if you have a problem with installing them they can help you out. The ebay guy might not have a clue what is wrong. just my .02

Got the File Converted! Came out small but you just need a test light to check for the LOW side of the light(running light) and the diodes go on those wires

Attached Thumbnails new tail light bulb?-scan0001-001.jpg  

Last edited by scheetz83; 11-06-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:19 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

I did not know there were different types of switchbacks. IDk what i would like better. I do want a set thou! Just got my new set of Retro HID tonight!!! Just got to wait for the bad weather to pass know so i can install them

It looks like Vleds has to types but are only showing type 2 on there site Copied Directly from Vleds site

"When the parking lights are on the color will be white, when the turn signal is applied the white will shut off and the amber color will blink only. When the turn signals have been shut off the white color will come back on. These are different from our Type 1 dual color bulbs.

Type 1 alternates white and amber when the turn signal is applied
Type 2 only the amber flashes when the turn signal is applied."
I emailed V-Leds awhile back about the Type 1 and they said it was discontinued even though they still mention it on their site. I like the alternating pattern of the Type 1. When I found out Autolumination.com has alternating bulbs I had to get them.

I would post the PDF of the drawing that Vled sent me but the file is over the forum limit. PM me with your email and i can send it to you. If you go in to the trunk and remove the rear panel to show the Light wiring there is a Plug on both sides of the car In that plug there are there wires that you need to clip and install 1amp diode on each wire

And again i have a Sequential kit so this may of may not be necessary for anyone thats not.

With out the diodes installed my car blinker would blink once then only the center light would come on but it would not blink. This was difficult to diagnose for me because i went in there with a test light and all the wiring was working but as soon as the Car would send power to a blinker LED the SJB saw it was a Burnt out bulb and Kills power to the wire. It was only after I got with the Customer support with Vleds that I was able to get everything figured out.

That is why i dont mind spending the extra money on these LEDs i feel they are superior to the Ebay LEDs and if you have a problem with installing them they can help you out. The ebay guy might not have a clue what is wrong. just my .02

Got the File Converted! Came out small but you just need a test light to check for the LOW side of the light(running light) and the diodes go on those wires

Thanks for the drawing and your help! I now know what's needed to make my Meter4it work with some LED bulbs.

Quick Reply: new tail light bulb?