Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag incedent in my car last night!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 05:51 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

A couple months ago my airbag warning light came on in my 2009 GT. I had to take it to the dealership three times to get it fixed. Turned out they had to replace the passenger air bag assembly because there was too little resistance which would cause the air bag to deploy prematurely.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

about the post about the sticky gas pedal I dont know there are so many factors and unfortunately the guys not here anymore to tell us. I would have personally shifted to neutral, tried shutting it off, pushed ebrake something. He was talking to 911 when he crashed...
Old 11-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

I read about it, he was actually a police officer in a Lexus that he had been loned while his car was in the shop, the mat held down the pedal, Now here is the issue.. the car was a "Push Start" and would require a 3 seconds pushed down to shut off (he obviously did not know this sadly) I dont know why he didn't shift into neutral.. anyway its sad his entire family died in the crash including him..
Old 11-08-2009, 08:41 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Cant believe no one has asked yet, but....

hAVE YOU HAD THE rcm RECALL DONE?
It would be good knowledge as to if
you have had the recall reprogramming
of the RCM done or not.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:23 AM
scorpio333
2nd Gear Member

I once had a 95 Accord that blew both airbags on the highway at 70mph or so out of the blue. I thought I blew a tire. Scary stuff between the smell and the muffled hearing. The only thing we could figure out was a grapefruit sized dent behind the driver side front wheel at the bottom of the wheel well.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:03 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

wow thats crazy glad everone is okay thats the most important thing.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:06 PM
RedRider0151
2nd Gear Member

OK so here is the story. Friday, November 6th I was driving my daughter and some friends home from a birthday party at 1030 at night. I was in my daughters friends neighborhood, driving roughly 30 mph, when suddenly there is an explosion in the car and my daughter, who was in the passengers seat suddenly screams and is crying. Turns out the side impact airbag blew out of her seat literally for no reason. We end up getting back in the car and drive home. Saturday November 7th at 8am I am dropped off the car at Crossroads Ford in Cary NC, where I purchased the car. The service guy, Chris is somewhat shocked and has NEVER seen anything like it before EVER. He states taht he is going to have to get corporate Ford involved with this to figure out why the airbag deployed.

Over the next week Ford takes out the Safety Control Module and sends it to Ford Motor Company. I am contacted on November 12th by an ALMA TAYLOR from the Ford legal dept who verifies that no one was injured when the airbag deployed and then needs me to go to the dealership to sign a release form saying that they have permission to read the information on the module. I go that day and sign the form at the dealership. CHris is pretty sure they will read it and let them know what happened and I will have my car back by Thanksgiving or the week after at the latest.

I get a call from Chris just before Thanksgiving saying that they werent able to get the module read before Thanksgiving, he assumes due to the holidays so I just go ahead and keep driving my Ford Fusion loaner car. Another week goes by and I get a call from Chris and he has been told that the company wont be reading my module until after the new year. I am totally furious. I call Ford Customer Service (I had lost the number to the Alma Taylor woman so I was going through corporate customer service) and explain the whole situation to them. THey tell me that my case is with Ford Legal Dept and htey cant give me any information on it. I ask them for Alma Taylors phone number and they tell me that they cannot give it to me, that ALL they can give me is a fax machine. Unfortunately I do not have a fax machine at my house (no phone line, I just use a cell and that is all) so I have to go to the local Kinko's and pay to send a fax requesting an update on my situation to which I never receive any type of reply. I continue to call teh Ford Dealer, talking to Chris about my car, seeing if he received any updates or if he has found a phone number for Alma Taylor. 3 days before Christmas I finally surrender and decide to just wait until after the New Year to continue to fight.

So now we get to this week when I get a call from Chris, saying that Ford has determined that my Safety Module is operating normally and my car deployed the airbag CORRECTLY and that I need to return the loaner car. I am totally furious at this point. They tell me to notify my insurance company and tell them I was in an accident. I call my insurance company and tell them the whole story. They are going to send out an adjuster next week, but they insist that if there is no proof of some type of damage on the car that they will not cover ANY type of repair.

On January 13th I finally got a phone number for Alma Taylor and I start calling her numerous times daily and just get her answering machine. On January 15th I finally get a call back from her. Fords position is that my car was in an accident and they will not grant ANY type of assistance in repairing my car NOR will they investigate ANY further as to WHY MY AIRBAG deployed. They say the the system operated COMPLETELY normal. I go back and forth with her trying to explain tehre is absolutely no damage to my car. She has been told this by the Dealer on MULTIPLE OCCASIONS now and she insists the impact sensors and safety module are NORMAL

ITS COMPLETELY FREEKIN INSANE!!! I mentioned to her that if this would have happened in rush hour traffic at 70 mph that it would have killed someone and her simple reply was "Just glad that didnt happen" ITS NUTS!!!!

At this point I am "supposedly" getting the readout from the Safety Module sent to me, am being told I have to PAY to have my car fixed which will be to the tune of a couple of 1000 dollars to have the seat fixed and airbag replaced and my insurance wont cover it and neither will Ford. I have a call into a lawyer to see what I can do there, I have a call into the local TV station and have the paperwork from them to fill out and sign saying I agree to appear on Camera when they persue this, and I have a video and pictures of the car going up on the web to spread EVERYWHERE I possibly can so everyone knows how bad Ford will screw you and could give a crap about their defective safety devices in their cars. Hopfully something will catch on and they will do something. Soon as its all finished uploading I will post it all here.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:22 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Wow, thats crazy. Burn thier asses!
Old 01-15-2010, 03:39 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

That is completely absurd!!!! WTF. Pursue that, don't let them push you over!! They could of easily solved it by just doing the repairs, now it's going to get a whole lot complicated for Ford.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:40 PM
RedRider0151
2nd Gear Member

Man I wish I knew how!!! ITs next to impossible to get ANYTHING done. It all comes down to Ford not owning up to what happened. I am gonna spread it EVERYWHERE I can and hopefully get a little attention drawn to it. I mean its LITERALLY dumb luck it didnt happen on the freeway doing 70mph. On top of that, my daughter that got hit by the airpbag, just had open heart surgery in december of last year, having as hole in her heart repaired and having a conduit put in due to pulmonary stinosis, so it realistically could have given her a heart attack at age 13!!! Its TOTAL BS!!!

If ANYONE has ANY idea's as to how to make sure they fix thier problems, drop me a line!! PLEASE!!!

Quick Reply: Airbag incedent in my car last night!!