Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is NAV so rare??

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:03 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Default Why is NAV so rare??

So I'm debating between a 2006-2007 Cadillac CTS-V and a 08-09 Ford Mustang GT.

Caddy Pluses: 6 Speed, 400hp vette motor, Navigation
Caddy Minuses: A bit heavier, probably doesn't handle as well as the mustang, look more old-guy than a stang lol.

One of my conditions on finding and buying a Stang would be that it has leather, and a factory navigation system. I suppose I would take an aftermarket unit, but I dislike the screen that slide out, as they look a bit tacky IMO.

I am not finding ANY 2008-2009 stangs on craigslist that have nav. Are they rally that rare, or is there just something about people that buy them with Nav that they tend to hang onto them longer?

Also wouldn't mind HID lights but I wont press it lol.

I'd be buying next February most likely, and have a budget between $18,000 and $27,000 depending on the car. Ideally, I'd like to find a stang around the
20k range so I'd have a bit left over for mods.

Am I expecting too much?

Last edited by siggyfreud; 11-09-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:29 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Why not just buy one and add a nav unit.?
The Caddy doesnt seem bad, but doesnt look nearly as fun as a stang.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:22 AM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

The nav unit seems rare because truly I believe most people see it as a waste of money. To get the nav unit from factory is a $2000 option. Where as you can get an aftermarket unit for half that. I spent a little extra and got the Kenwood DNX8120, and it believe it is far superior to the factory unit. You can find it online for around $1000 give or take a little. Still way under the factory nav price even with install. It is a Double Din design, where the screen is twice as tall, no nlide-out/flip-up screens. Installed correctly it looks very close to factory! It also has additional inputs/outputs incase you want additional screens (kids) or multi-disk holders, connects to ipod, and has XM.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:20 AM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Thats not even a contest...if i'd had the money, i'd buy a CTS-V in a heartbeat. Those things are sexy as hell and faster than ****. Not to mention, twice the price of a GT. Thats like saying, "im torn between a lexus and a bently"
Old 11-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by distantsoldier
The nav unit seems rare because truly I believe most people see it as a waste of money. To get the nav unit from factory is a $2000 option.
Yup.

Never mind that some of the most memorable rides happen when you don't take the shortest/straightest way from point A to point B. Especially when this happens by accident.

Norm
Old 11-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

^ +1.

We just have a cheap TomTom that we keep updated regularly and bounce it between the Dodge truck and my Stang.... for $125.00 it gets us where we're going and we didn't pay 2 grand for it or even 1 grand.

It also has a Darth Vadar voice. Very fun....

But if you can't live w/out an installed NAV - +1 to the guys recommending the after market Pioneer. Those look amazing installed.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:15 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mac10chap
Thats not even a contest...if i'd had the money, i'd buy a CTS-V in a heartbeat. Those things are sexy as hell and faster than ****. Not to mention, twice the price of a GT. Thats like saying, "im torn between a lexus and a bently"
You'd be suprised at what they can be had for. 07's with remaining factory and ~30k miles can be grabbed at 22-27k from the right locations. If thats the way you really feel about them you should look into it .

I didn't realize the Mustang could accomodate a Nav setup that was flat to begin with. I just assumed it would have to be the typical flip-out stuff. Do they intregrate any features of the car into the factory unit? I guess I am used to a 335i where almost all the functions of the car are also controlled from the main screen console.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:32 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I guess I am the outsider on this.

1. I think the factory NAV is super nice. At least in the 2010 model. Don't know in the others. I have used the Pioneer and didn't care for it much. I really like SYNC as well.

2. Choosing between the Mustang and the CTS-V is an interesting mix. Both very different cars. The Mustang is a pure muscle car. Loud, somewhat obnoxious. The CTS-V on the other hand is a sports sedan that is, while a little rough around the edges, still much more refined.

Having driven both - If I were choosing between those two, it would be easy. CTS-V hands down. The Mustang is not up to the CTS-V on many levels. But for me, I want the Mustang because it is an American classic. You either want one or you don't, it is just that kind of car.

My only reservation on the CTS-V would be that it is a GM product. I have never had good luck with GM. I even had to lemon law one. Plus during my recent rental of the CTS with the DOHC V8 on a recent trip, I found the car to be very uncomfortable for my frame. Amazing, but it seems to have less driver room than the Mustang does.

I hope this help you in some way. It is just one man's opinion.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Boondoggie
1st Gear Member

A big problem with getting things like NAV is that cars age very well these days... electronics don't.

A 5-8yo car is still very relevant and has plenty of life left in it... a GPS or in car computer from 5-8 years ago can look like a dated, clunky, last-generation blight stuck in the dash.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:28 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boondoggie
A big problem with getting things like NAV is that cars age very well these days... electronics don't.

A 5-8yo car is still very relevant and has plenty of life left in it... a GPS or in car computer from 5-8 years ago can look like a dated, clunky, last-generation blight stuck in the dash.
While I agree that it is true, I think it's less relevant on a car thats 1-3 years old like the ones I am looking at. Eventually all our navs will be dated and perhaps clunky. I just favored the factory ones because I thought they looked nice, and I liked the screen setups.

Quick Reply: Why is NAV so rare??