Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-glare HID headlight bulb coating?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 11:08 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Default DIY Anti-glare HID headlight bulb coating?

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had heard of or owns a DIY headlight bulb coating kit that you can purchase for nominal cost? I want to avoid having to ship my bulbs back and have them coated for me. The thought of going through that process just bugs me.

The bulb coating on my HID fogs is worn pretty bad, and the headlights' coating is just barely holding up. When I get my car back from the shop this week (God willing), I'm supremely confident that the fellows at the body shop will have scraped more of the coating off in their inadequate handling of expensive HID bulbs. Any insights? Thanks.

Last edited by East87; 11-16-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:28 PM
CammedMysticCobra
1st Gear Member

I think now would be a good time to smoke out the lights.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:03 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

Were did you get your hids from?
Old 11-16-2009, 05:33 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

I got my HID's from RetroSolutions. Turns out the mother effing body shop I took my car to was damn incompetent and scraped ALL the coating off my fog lights. I've raised the issue with them of course, but I'm not sure how they could rectify it. I'm thinking if I could find a DIY bulb coating kit, they could just reimburse me for that.

The absolute very last thing I want to have done is to rip the entire kit out of my car and have to ship out to RetroSolutions again to have them coat it. I'd then be talking about an additional week to 10 days of waiting. What the hell am I going to do with a car that has broken forward lights that can't be driven in the daytime since I get home after dark.

Not sure if I can swing them paying me a brand new $200+ for new HIDs that I then have to take time to install myself. At least with the bulb coating, I can pop the bulbs out and do the damn work myself the way it should be done and not all screwed up thanks to poor handling of sensitive automotive parts. FML.

/frustration
/no Mustang and no quality repair work make Andrew go crazy
Old 11-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by East87
I got my HID's from RetroSolutions. Turns out the mother effing body shop I took my car to was damn incompetent and scraped ALL the coating off my fog lights. I've raised the issue with them of course, but I'm not sure how they could rectify it. I'm thinking if I could find a DIY bulb coating kit, they could just reimburse me for that.

The absolute very last thing I want to have done is to rip the entire kit out of my car and have to ship out to RetroSolutions again to have them coat it. I'd then be talking about an additional week to 10 days of waiting. What the hell am I going to do with a car that has broken forward lights that can't be driven in the daytime since I get home after dark.

Not sure if I can swing them paying me a brand new $200+ for new HIDs that I then have to take time to install myself. At least with the bulb coating, I can pop the bulbs out and do the damn work myself the way it should be done and not all screwed up thanks to poor handling of sensitive automotive parts. FML.

/frustration

/no Mustang and no quality repair work make Andrew go crazy

Can't you just send the bulbs back for re-coat and get the shop to pay for THEIR screw up?
Old 11-16-2009, 09:44 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

Don't they have a life time warranty? I would use that...
Old 11-17-2009, 10:07 PM
DetGT

Not to hijack the thread or anything.. but I'm trying to order the retro solutions 8000k 55w headlights but I don't see the option for anti glare coating. I heard it was offered for 30 bucks but where do you click to add it?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:42 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

It's under Miscellaneous and $20 for both bulbs.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rford426
Don't they have a life time warranty? I would use that...
It would be hard to make a warranty claim if somebody actually scraped it off.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Retrosolutions
Former Sponsor

I want to clear up the sort of incorrect definition of the coating, now repalced by our capping procedure, as an anti-glare function. It does not prevent glare, it instead blocks direct light emission through the top of the bulbs where OEM bulb covers do not exist (ie some 06 and all 07+ Mustangs).

The previous coating process has been replaced with a capping process that has the same benfits in function, with a lower cost, faster application, and increased durability.

East87- ask them to cover the cost of replacement for you due to their neglect.... not sure why they would need to take the bulbs out at all. If you need an invocie from us to submit to them just let us know.

Quick Reply: Anti-glare HID headlight bulb coating?