Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Shakers invite theft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 02:27 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Default Super Shakers invite theft?

I was planning to get a Super Shaker in the next couple of months but the thought of it being tempting to thieves has crossed my mind several times so now I'm debating whether to get it or go with a Whipple or Techco which lies hidden under the hood. What do ya'll think? Am I being too paranoid?
Old 11-15-2009, 02:36 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

They wouldn't know it's actually a SC but rather a scoop like mine...
If you're in a questionable neighborhood, you're not paranoid.
Check with your Insurance and see if they'd honor that deal. Make sure it's in writing if you do.

They'll steal your wheel before the SC.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

I dont know how it would be tempting. You cant tell the difference from the outside between it or a CDC Shaker, and you certainly can't remove the scoop from outside of the hood. Also, Techco is gone, your gonna have a hard time getting one of their SCs.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:59 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
They wouldn't know it's actually a SC but rather a scoop like mine...
If you're in a questionable neighborhood, you're not paranoid.
Check with your Insurance and see if they'd honor that deal. Make sure it's in writing if you do.

They'll steal your wheel before the SC.
I know the wheels would probably be stolen first before the S/C but I'm thinking it'll make the whole car more tempting to steal and get parted out for the blower.

Originally Posted by Red_Devil
I dont know how it would be tempting. You cant tell the difference from the outside between it or a CDC Shaker, and you certainly can't remove the scoop from outside of the hood. Also, Techco is gone, your gonna have a hard time getting one of their SCs.
The words Super Shaker on the side of the scoop is a tell all to someone who knows Mustangs. They'll know it's blown. Is Techco really gone? The Techco is still being sold by Brenspeed.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:03 PM
CammedMysticCobra
1st Gear Member

They will steal your whole car before they go for your SC
Old 11-15-2009, 04:18 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CammedMysticCobra
They will steal your whole car before they go for your SC
Exactly. And most likely for the most expensive add on part which is the S/C.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:25 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
I know the wheels would probably be stolen first before the S/C but I'm thinking it'll make the whole car more tempting to steal and get parted out for the blower.
I know, stupid comment on my part.
It's obvious they'll get the whole car but come to think of it now, the S197 is not well known for being stolen a lot.

Wheels are easier, it can be done on a parking lot in 10 minutes or less, depending on how many guys are involved.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Red_Devil
Official Sponsor For Whiteline USA

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec

The words Super Shaker on the side of the scoop is a tell all to someone who knows Mustangs. They'll know it's blown. Is Techco really gone? The Techco is still being sold by Brenspeed.
The badge on the side is just a stick on badge, take if off if you want; but honestly I think your looking too much into this. I don't think a supercharger is gonna be a deciding factor in the theft of your vehicle. Most cars are stolen and stripped for OE parts. If your that worried about it you should install a viper alarm system or something.

Techco is gone. If Brenspeed is selling their blower still it would only be ones left in stock, cause they are definitely not made anymore. It's probably just that they haven't been removed from the site yet.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

they go for things that don't take an hour to uninstall...most skilled wheel thieves can take off a set of rims and have them on blocks in under 5 minutes, unless you have custom wheel locks
Old 11-15-2009, 05:13 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red_Devil
The badge on the side is just a stick on badge, take if off if you want; but honestly I think your looking too much into this. I don't think a supercharger is gonna be a deciding factor in the theft of your vehicle. Most cars are stolen and stripped for OE parts. If your that worried about it you should install a viper alarm system or something.

Techco is gone. If Brenspeed is selling their blower still it would only be ones left in stock, cause they are definitely not made anymore. It's probably just that they haven't been removed from the site yet.
Good idea about the badge. I think I'll do that when I get the Super Shaker. Never really liked the name Super Shaker anyway. I'll put on a custom badge instead.

That sucks about Techco. Gonna be really tough to sell the left over stock. It's a great s/c with a killer whine. Probably the loudest twin screw whine out there.

Quick Reply: Super Shakers invite theft?