Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking in new 2010 GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:14 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

I only have about 150 miles on my 2010 GT and I ain't gonna baby it. I am going to drive this car the way it should be driven.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:29 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Ah yes, today's mantra . . .

I don't have the time to be patient.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Dreamer1
2nd Gear Member

Cool

I only have about 150 miles on my 2010 GT and I ain't gonna baby it. I am going to drive this car the way it should be driven.
All right Macmovieman, I don't want to here you whining when you get your first ticket.. Or worse yet, get in a wreck..

For me I think I'm going to take the middle road and just break her in easy.. Idea is to try and be smart about it.. Think I've done enough reading to get the general idea.. For me I will be more worried about loosing control or doing something stupid, with a power band that is way above what I'm used to..

Take her slow and easy. Might even head out to the California speedway that's right down the way. See what they have to offer in driving schools... Also going to be heading out to see what mod shops we have in the area. I know of two of them I've heard about already..

Good luck with breaking in your new ride.. Still waiting on mine.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:06 PM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

My car had less than 20 miles or so on her sitting on the lot. I varied my rpm's home from the dealer (about 75 miles), never went past 5,000 rpm's, tried not to idle much on the way. After about 300 miles of doing this I started hitting redline once in a while so it knows what it feels like, but still never stayed too long at a steady high rpm. Changed the oil to Mobil 1 at 850 miles. From there, I drive her pretty hard, but not abusive. I'll now change the oil and filter every 3500-5000 miles or so.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:21 PM
MTAS
2nd Gear Member

Drive it like you stole it. I brought my 05GT home on a Friday night, and the drive home from the dealership put about 60 miles on it being a mix of city and interstate. The next morning I got in, drove for 15-20min to warm it up, then took the thing to redline (even hit the rev limiter a few times) more in 4hrs than I did my previous Mustang in 4 years. If it's gonna break, break it under warranty. Don't baby it.

Last edited by MTAS; 11-24-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:14 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dreamer1
All right Macmovieman, I don't want to here you whining when you get your first ticket.. Or worse yet, get in a wreck..

For me I think I'm going to take the middle road and just break her in easy.. Idea is to try and be smart about it.. Think I've done enough reading to get the general idea.. For me I will be more worried about loosing control or doing something stupid, with a power band that is way above what I'm used to..

Take her slow and easy. Might even head out to the California speedway that's right down the way. See what they have to offer in driving schools... Also going to be heading out to see what mod shops we have in the area. I know of two of them I've heard about already..

Good luck with breaking in your new ride.. Still waiting on mine.
You have two of the best schools within 6 hours. Ron Fellows in Pahrump Nevada and Bondurant in Phoenix Arizona. Both offer 2-3 day basic courses for around $2-3000 using, I believe, corvettes. Would be your best first mod and should get you used to a big power band in a hurry.
Did the Pahrump school years ago when it was run by Bragg-Smith and can highly recommend a course like this.
May also be one at Willow Springs,north of LA. Not sure though.

Cheers.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Dreamer1
2nd Gear Member

Cool

You have two of the best schools within 6 hours. Ron Fellows in Pahrump Nevada and Bondurant in Phoenix Arizona. Both offer 2-3 day basic courses for around $2-3000 using, I believe, corvettes. Would be your best first mod and should get you used to a big power band in a hurry.
Did the Pahrump school years ago when it was run by Bragg-Smith and can highly recommend a course like this.
May also be one at Willow Springs,north of LA. Not sure though.

Cheers.

Very cool.. Thanks for the information
Old 11-25-2009, 10:26 AM
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MTAS
Drive it like you stole it. I brought my 05GT home on a Friday night, and the drive home from the dealership put about 60 miles on it being a mix of city and interstate. The next morning I got in, drove for 15-20min to warm it up, then took the thing to redline (even hit the rev limiter a few times) more in 4hrs than I did my previous Mustang in 4 years. If it's gonna break, break it under warranty. Don't baby it.

If you blow the motor, I don't think that will be covered under warranty..
Old 11-25-2009, 05:57 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

This power is not new to me and to be honest is is fast but it needs to be faster and that is where the modding start. This is very controllable and easy to handle at the limit. As for breaking in the car, there seem to be two very different camps. Take it easy and drive it like you stole it. I am in the latter group and no whinning here, if it breaks it breaks. If they cover it great if they don't then I fix it. I do not have time to worry about that stuff. This car was purchased so we can have some fun and it is a great bang for the buck. The same power in a BMW with similar equipment will run you another $15k. Once you chip the car and add downpipes you are pretty much done, here you are just getting started.

Everyone has to decide on their own how they want to handle break in and mods. Now where can I find discussions on super chargres?
Old 05-13-2010, 03:48 PM
MacGyverGTP
2nd Gear Member

Default The first 5 minutes of my new engine...

Was spent on a Dyno. 440rwhp & I've been driving it hard.
If it breaks, I want it to break now while I can still take it back to the builder.
Changing oil when I hit 500miles.
I would imagine a lot of engines spend the first few minutes of their life on dyno's getting the **** beat out of em.
...even from the manufacturers.

I know Ferrari does it... it was on the Discovery channel! haha

Quick Reply: Breaking in new 2010 GT