Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine mods that don't void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Shane Olguin

Default Engine mods that don't void warranty?

I spent a pretty penny for the 100000 mile warranty extension (financed it) so I'm curious what can I do for the engine to get some more HP out of it without voiding my warranty? Surely there has to be something that can be done!

Wise men, share your knowledge!
Old 11-16-2009, 08:11 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shane Olguin
I spent a pretty penny for the 100000 mile warranty extension (financed it) so I'm curious what can I do for the engine to get some more HP out of it without voiding my warranty? Surely there has to be something that can be done!

Wise men, share your knowledge!
Noting you are from California:

Of particular interest seems to be what can be modified and NOT F*up the crappy California Auto Emissions system which is in place for vehicles sold to our fine (?) state. Other states have these standards too, so there should be some common knowledge out there.

So in short, we California folks want to modify something and still pass our smog tests.

Now I know there are boatloads of people who:
  • live in California
  • have modified their Mustangs
  • and passed their smog tests
What can/can't be done?
Old 11-16-2009, 08:21 PM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

My dealership told me I can do anything to the motor I want, but if something does go wrong than they will have to determine how and where the problem came from. 99% i feel a dealership is going to blame the aftermarket part.

Check out Ford racing parts.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:50 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10GTPony
Noting you are from California:

Of particular interest seems to be what can be modified and NOT F*up the crappy California Auto Emissions system which is in place for vehicles sold to our fine (?) state. Other states have these standards too, so there should be some common knowledge out there.

So in short, we California folks want to modify something and still pass our smog tests.

Now I know there are boatloads of people who:
  • live in California
  • have modified their Mustangs
  • and passed their smog tests
What can/can't be done?
In California - You can add any hi po part that has a C.A.R.B. EO Sticker for your year, engine and make/model car.

You can also run a tune provided it does not turn off any emission device, such as rear cats, etc.

As for warranty, I think you can do exaust, headers, tune, CAI, under drive pulleys, etc. I doubt you could go with a supercharger or turbo and claim to still have an intact warrant should the engine grenade for some reason.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:24 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
In California - You can add any hi po part that has a C.A.R.B. EO Sticker for your year, engine and make/model car.
FastDEW (et al.) -- How 'bout gear swap?

I can imagine a 4.10 would put out more emissions per mile than a lower gear ratio.

The FRPP catalog even has an asterisk by their ring/pinion sets saying not legal for sale on pollution controlled vehicles.

The factory is able to ship different gear ratios to California (i.e., the 3.31, the 3.55, the 3.73) because the car is calibrated/tuned at the factory for our State for the particular gear installed.

What would be needed to install, say, a 4.10 and still have it pass Smog emissions? (Or is FRPP just being on the safe side, and the amount of emission difference between the ratios is minimal. I'm clueless here.)
Old 11-16-2009, 11:20 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10GTPony
FastDEW (et al.) -- How 'bout gear swap?

I can imagine a 4.10 would put out more emissions per mile than a lower gear ratio.

The FRPP catalog even has an asterisk by their ring/pinion sets saying not legal for sale on pollution controlled vehicles.

The factory is able to ship different gear ratios to California (i.e., the 3.31, the 3.55, the 3.73) because the car is calibrated/tuned at the factory for our State for the particular gear installed.

What would be needed to install, say, a 4.10 and still have it pass Smog emissions? (Or is FRPP just being on the safe side, and the amount of emission difference between the ratios is minimal. I'm clueless here.)
I think FRPP is just trying to cover their butts on that one. Yes, it would make the car produce more emissions on the dyno during the test, but I think it would not be nearly enough to make the car fail.

The CARB fined Saleen a couple of years back because they installed underdrive pulleys and tossed in a K&N DROP IN filter and installed a cat back exaust system and didn't recertify the car from the factory Ford cert. Saleen fought it and then finally settled.

But for us joe the consumers, we can fly a little more "under the radar" but not much.

Last edited by FastDEW; 11-16-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: edit - recalled more exactly what Saleen changed that they were fined for.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:46 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
I think FRPP is just trying to cover their butts on that one. Yes, it would make the car produce more emissions on the dyno during the test, but I think it would not be nearly enough to make the car fail.

Cool... thx for the info.

I'll have to talk to a local performance shop & see what they say -- and if they would 'guarantee' it passing the Smog Test if I pay to upgrade gears.

{rant}

Some things about living in California are nice, like the weather.

But other things just tank: vehicle licensing fees, smog tests, high real estate prices, and oh ya -- the state is virtually broke.

{/rant}
Old 11-16-2009, 11:55 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I changed my gears on my F250 from 3.73 to 4.30 to pull my 5th wheel. It passed smog.

Vritually broke? I thought we were actually broke
Old 11-17-2009, 12:37 AM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

Curious...

What did you pay for the 100K warranty? (if you don't mind disclosing)
Old 11-17-2009, 03:28 AM
codykthekilla

I know that you can get the 400 hp supercharger from ford racing and have the dealership install it and you get a 36000mi/3 year warranty with that product. They don't offer warranty for the 500 hp supercharger.

Quick Reply: Engine mods that don't void warranty?