Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convince me if you can.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 01:26 PM
demonbydesign

Default Convince me if you can.

Hello all. I registered here to find some opinions. Opinions on what you ask? Well I'm currently looking at all 3 of the newer American muscle cars. And I'm all but sold on getting one of the Challenger models. I've tested the Mustangs and Camaro's as well. As a note, I went into this wanting a Challenger and after all my test rides and observations I still want the Challenger over Mustang or Camaro. But I'm here to see if there is anyone who would try lay out a convincing reasons why I should re-think about a Mustang. This is a major purchase for me no matter what one I choose so I look forward to any advice.

Thanks.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:38 PM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

Challengers are boats and camaros are overrated. I have a slightly modded gt and at the track I run 13.3 to 13.2 on average. Stock challengers and camaros are running 13.6 to 14.0s so mustang's are lighter and quicker and I believe they get the best fuel economy.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As much as I love Camaro's (sorry, Challenger's do nothing for me), the Stang is lighter and after going FI and a few other mods, it'll spank most other musclecars. For the cost of a GT plus the go-fast mods, you still are probably below or near the cost of a slower Camaro or Challenger. Plus, the exterior styling of the Stang is more retro than any of the others which alone is worth a ton of wood.

But we can't convince you. You need to convince yourself.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:44 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Well what is it about the Challenger that you like over the other two? Before knowing that, the two obvious things the Mustang has over the Dodge is that the Mustang interior is miles ahead of the Challenger's which looks bulky and boring. Looking past that aesthetic difference, the Mustang just seems like a much better rounded car and all the reviews I read agree that its a lot more fun to drive overall. The Challenger is said to be a good "cruising" car, it feels strong and can be great on the highway. But, as soon as you make a turn you're going to wish you were in a Mustang. The Challenger is a great looking car, but it's a real boat compared the lighter, more nimble mustang.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:59 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I think if your heart is set on the Challenger, then get it. It is a nice looking car and you don't see as many on the road like Mustangs. Now if I had to choose, the choice is obvious, I went with the Mustang.
Follow your gut or else you will kick yourself later.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

The stang can keep up with both cars just about, even with 100+HP less. Now if you mod the stang youll smoke them both. The challengers do look good to me but i enjoy turns as well as acceleration so a mustang is for me. all 3 are a good buy and i think the challenger will be the rarest
Old 11-29-2009, 02:37 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

A car purchase is something you'd want to decide for yourself and not have others convince you. If your first choice is the Challenger then get a Challenger. You'll be glad you convinced yourself.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:37 PM
GlassVapor
2nd Gear Member

I thought Challenger at 1st also, its comfortable but big, reminded me of my Town car sorta. Decided to go Mustang very happy I did, lighter, handles better and not so boaty. Had a Challenger r/t try to keep up with me in the twisty's but he had to stop to change his underoo's. Moral to the story, its your money so what ever floats your boat lol
__________________________________________________ ___________________
09 GT Prem, Glassback, Vapor, Edelbrock E-Force, Eibach Pro, Shorty Ant
426rwhp 410 rwt
Old 11-29-2009, 02:38 PM
JOHNNY
2nd Gear Member

Ones an American car the other is a Fiat What is it they say Fix It Again Tony. nuff said!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:54 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

I do like the retro look of all three american muscle cars. I havent really ever sat down in a challenger but it does look big. The inside of a camaro just sucks. I guess its all in what u want. If ur wanting to mod ur car after u buy then i think the mustang is ur best buy b/c its cheaper so more money to mod. When u mod its kind of like an extension of your own personality. If ur not into modding then i would just go with ur feeling of purchasing a challenger. They are NICE looking. Let us know what u decide

Quick Reply: Convince me if you can.