Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about a new remote

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default Question about a new remote

I havent had a remote since i bought my car used and my parents were gonna get me one for christmas. I recall reading about using fusion keys and some that were like switch blade type but i dont know much about them. Since i have no remotes now i will have to have a new one programmed by ford but can they program a fusion remote for my car or will i have to buy 2x oem ones from ford. Also where is a good place to buy a non OEM remote?
Old 12-02-2009, 03:24 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

1. go to eBay2. in your owners manual, there is the programming procedure. it's extremely easy. basically just turn the key on/off a set # of times, then click 1 button on the remote...wash/repeat for each remote up to I think 6 total remotes

3. enjoy not paying the Dealership a bunch of money for something that you can do in your driveway in under 1 minute
the only caveot for anything regarding programming is the PATS keys

You must have 2 already programmed PATS keys to program a 3rd or more PATS key.

to program a remote (clicker, fob...whatever you call it), you only need 1 PATS key and about 1 minute of your time

as for the Fusion key, I am running one right now. I took mine to a Locksmith to get the key blade cut. Lowes/Walmart/Home Depot refused to cut the key citing me some bull**** about PATS.

Once the key was cut, I followed the PATS key programming procedure in the Owners manual.

Once the key was programmed, I programmed the remote part.

The Fusion key works perfectly...but apparently only on 2007+ cars. The guys with 05/06's have a different Lock system apparently
if you don't have a owners manual, visit the link below and click on Owners Guides in the left column. It will lead you to every manual you'll need for your car

http://www.motorcraftservice.com
Old 12-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on this being in the Owners Manual. I guarantee that it won't burst in spontaneous combustion when exposed to light and the human eye.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

I know you can program them yourself if you have two but i have none right now. What im asking is if i buy a fusion key do i need to buy two remotes from ford them program the fusion key or can i just take the fusion key to ford.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

how many keys do you currently own?

leave the FOB out of the picture completely.

Do you have 1, or 2 keys that are programmed to the car right now?

If you only have 1 key, buy 1 PATS key off of eBay for about $10 shipped. take that to your local Ford Dealership and have them program it. It will run roughly for 1/2 an hour of labor. I paid $40 last time for my 03 GT.

Once you have 2 keys, then purchase a Fusion key, cut, and then program yourself. You can take that Fusion key to the Dealership, but most of them will give you Flak about it, and I'd bet money that most will not do it
Old 12-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

besides, having 3 or more keys is good insurance to avoid having this predicament again
Old 12-02-2009, 04:07 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

I thought it was a lot more for a key to get programmed. Is it better to order one off ebay, get it copied and then bring it in for programming?
Old 12-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

I have 2 keys but zero remotes. So if i buy the fusion key/remote in one will i be able to program the remote to work?
Old 12-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
I have 2 keys but zero remotes. So if i buy the fusion key/remote in one will i be able to program the remote to work?
hoping to get some conformation on this asap. Will i be able to use the fusion remote/key combo by just programming the key with the two keys i have?
I dont need a new key just the remote but if i can get both in one like the fusion has id much prefer that

edit: just reread the earlier post which answered my questions, not sure how i missed that before...
Old 12-04-2009, 10:52 PM
wolfie
1st Gear Member

You will need at least 1 remote that is already programed.

Quick Reply: Question about a new remote