Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock shift knob leather coming apart..

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Stock shift **** leather coming apart..

I'm sure it's not leather, but what ever it is, the edge on the pass side of the shifter **** is coming off, it's creating a rough edge that catches my hand...

anyone have this problem..?

I'll add it to my
rear view mirror pealing off
side door panel pealing off
driver seat air pump broken

39k miles..
Old 12-07-2009, 05:11 AM
Burrosito
2nd Gear Member

I also have the stock shifter (06 GT, Manual). The small plate that has the 1-5, R numbering on it is starting to feel lose. Like, if I press a little on one edge, I can feel the other end coming off the ****. We'll see how long it lasts, or if it gets worse or not. I could probably use this as an excuse to get a new **** sometime in the near future.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:47 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT
I'm sure it's not leather, but what ever it is, the edge on the pass side of the shifter **** is coming off, it's creating a rough edge that catches my hand...

anyone have this problem..?

I'll add it to my
rear view mirror pealing off
side door panel pealing off
driver seat air pump broken

39k miles..
Wow, you are having all kinds of problems! No problems here....but I only have 7K miles on my car and I treat it with TLC.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

Yea, I"m pissed, super pissed... I only only buy American, never owned a foreign car in my life, in fact my family has only owned 2, a 77 Corolla and my brothers Accord...

For the 1st time ever I would consider a foreign car after buying this stang. I love it, but I'm tired of the interior coming apart at the seems. A rear view mirror should last more than 40k miles!

I like the stock shifter ****, I'll probably buy one off ebay if I can find it. In florida, all metal ***** heat up so hot, you can't drive them.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:13 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

None of those issues and I'm at 32K. Still looks new inside my car.

I like the stock shifter ****, I'll probably buy one off ebay if I can find it. In florida, all metal ***** heat up so hot, you can't drive them.
http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_gt...2005-2008.aspx
Old 12-07-2009, 11:11 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Yea, I"m pissed, super pissed... I only only buy American, never owned a foreign car in my life, in fact my family has only owned 2, a 77 Corolla and my brothers Accord...

For the 1st time ever I would consider a foreign car after buying this stang. I love it, but I'm tired of the interior coming apart at the seems. A rear view mirror should last more than 40k miles!

Post some pictures when you get a chance so we can better understand how this could have happened. There is a lemon in every car, so you may have hit the jack-pot. I have never heard of anyone else with your issues.

Just thought of something, by you living in FL I'm sure the inside of your car must take a toll on heat, especially during the summer months. Is it kept outside mostly? I know with the sun shinning on the windshield could cause the adhesive to get soft making your mirror fall, but that could happen to any car. Try using a windshield shade to eliminate that as well as cut down on some heat inside your car.

Check out your local Craigslist for parts. I have run across some good deals here in my local area.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:53 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Sorry to hear that you're having so many problems. I haven't had any yet in the four years I've had mine. I just gave away my shift **** last month. It was sitting on my desk forever, and I couldn't find anyone to give it to for such a long time. One of the guys in our mustang club had a base version, and I ended up giving it to him for free.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:14 PM
hoodwanka

I'm no expert but I think your mirror was probably glued to your windshield. I think glue's life is probably measure in years not miles. We've had that happen to several of our vehicles. Is your car out in the sun frequently, I would guess that the sun probably breaks down the glue over time.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Fort LiquordaleGT
2nd Gear Member

yea, my car is in the sun a lot, I live in fort lauderdale, however all the other cars are subjected to the same sun, so why my mustang melts in the sun unlike other brands is beyond me. i'm going to write up a nice letter to ford with some pics, I don't expect anything but while I'm unemployed it will give me something to do.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:28 AM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

What are you talking about? I put a billet aluminum shifter **** on my 07 GT manual and it's great. I live in Florida too and I've never had any problems with it getting "hot".

Quick Reply: Stock shift knob leather coming apart..