Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home Link

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:41 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Default Home Link

anyone have the link to the Home Link install thread. i cant find it in the Stickies and its not showing up in the search results.

thanks

going to be my next mod.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:48 AM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

Any Ford, Mercury, or Lincoln vehicle with the homelink unit in the visor will work, you can pick one up cheap at a junk yard or I've even seen them on ebay, only 2 wires used on the unit I installed out of the town car, the unit had a green with red stripe wire which I connected to the white with blue stripe wire for power, then it was black to black for the ground, tricky part was cutting the hole in the console, I removed the face plate from the homelink unit then traced the outline on the console as close to the edge as I could so there would be enough room for the unit inside, after I traced the outline I drilled a 1/2" hole in the center of the outline , then I used my dremil with a round sanding drum attachment to sand up to the line that I traced, I sanded alittle at a time and tried the face plate in the hole until it fit snug, then I attached the face plate back to the unit and installed it in the console, I used a piece of foam to wedge in between the unit and the plastic bar in the console that you'll see so that when you push on the buttons the unit doesn't move. be careful when making your hole in the console, if you make a mistake a new console with the intruder sensors retails for $490.87, it took me about a 1 1/2 hours to do taking my time but it turned out great and looks like a factory install.
Bill

I already know this thread is usless without pics, but when I did mine 2 years ago I didn't take any, just a picture of the finished job.
Attached Thumbnails Home Link-003-copy-2-.jpg  
Old 12-08-2009, 11:52 AM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

Why can't we replace the mirror with something like?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140284363941
Old 12-08-2009, 11:58 AM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

that's a great price, the one from Ford retails at $464.29, my homelink install was free, I removed the unit from a visor that we replaced under warranty out of a town car here at the dealer that I work at, only thing wrong with the visor is that it was ripped, you can find visors on ebay for around $25.00, also your local junk yard.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:13 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by partsbill
Any Ford, Mercury, or Lincoln vehicle with the homelink unit in the visor will work, you can pick one up cheap at a junk yard or I've even seen them on ebay, only 2 wires used on the unit I installed out of the town car, the unit had a green with red stripe wire which I connected to the white with blue stripe wire for power, then it was black to black for the ground, tricky part was cutting the hole in the console, I removed the face plate from the homelink unit then traced the outline on the console as close to the edge as I could so there would be enough room for the unit inside, after I traced the outline I drilled a 1/2" hole in the center of the outline , then I used my dremil with a round sanding drum attachment to sand up to the line that I traced, I sanded alittle at a time and tried the face plate in the hole until it fit snug, then I attached the face plate back to the unit and installed it in the console, I used a piece of foam to wedge in between the unit and the plastic bar in the console that you'll see so that when you push on the buttons the unit doesn't move. be careful when making your hole in the console, if you make a mistake a new console with the intruder sensors retails for $490.87, it took me about a 1 1/2 hours to do taking my time but it turned out great and looks like a factory install.
Bill

I already know this thread is usless without pics, but when I did mine 2 years ago I didn't take any, just a picture of the finished job.

how does the programming work?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:26 PM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

1. Verify the hand-held transmitter is operative.
2. Prepare for programming the universal transmitter. Erase all 3 channels by holding down the 2 outside buttons until the red indicator begins to flash (20-30 seconds). Release both buttons.
3. Select 1 of the 3 universal transmitter channels to be programmed by pressing the desired button.
4. Hold the end of the hand-held transmitter 25-51 mm (1-2 inches) from the front surface of the universal transmitter so that the red indicator can still be seen.
5. NOTE: For Canadian vehicles only: during programming, the hand-held transmitter may automatically stop transmitting after 2 seconds, which may not be long enough to program the universal transmitter. If programming this type of hand-held transmitter, continue to hold the button on the universal transmitter while re-pressing the hand-held transmitter button every 2 seconds.
Use both hands to press the hand-held transmitter button and the desired button on the universal transmitter. Do not release either button.
6. Hold down both buttons until the red indicator on the universal transmitter flashes, first slowly and then rapidly. Release both buttons when the rapid flashing begins. The universal transmitter has successfully learned the new frequency signal and can be used in place of the hand-held transmitter(s).
7. NOTE: A code-protected or rolling-code garage door opener may require further programming. For additional information, refer to Training a Garage Door Opener Equipped With Rolling Codes in this section.
To operate, press the appropriate button on the universal transmitter. The red indicator is on while the signal is being transmitted.
8. To program additional hand-held transmitters repeat steps 3-6.

Training a Garage Door Opener Equipped With Rolling Codes

1. Program the hand-held transmitter to the universal transmitter.
2. Train the garage door opener receiver to recognize the universal transmitter.
1. Remove the cover panel from the garage door opener receiver.
2. Locate the training button on the garage door opener receiver. Location and color of the button may vary by manufacturer. Refer to the garage door opener instruction manual or Owner's Literature.
3. Press the training button on the garage door opener receiver for 1-2 seconds.
4. Press the programmed universal transmitter button for as long as the universal transmitter red indicator flashes (1-2 seconds). Release the button and re-press the button to confirm that the universal transmitter is trained to the receiver.
5. The garage door opener should recognize the universal transmitter.

Erasing Channels

1. NOTE: Individual channels cannot be erased, but can be reprogrammed using the procedures for programming. For additional information, refer to Universal Transmitter Programming in this section.
To erase all 3 programmed channels, hold down the 2 outside buttons until the red indicator begins to flash (20-30 seconds). Release both buttons.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:46 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

i just grabbed one off ebay. it says its from a Jag, but it looks like a Ford sun visor. i am assuming it will still work. a homelink unit is a homelink unit and the only difference is the visor, i hope. it still should have 2 wires, one feed and one ground.