Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Average speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 07:49 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by FastDEW
Funny - I think the MPG bar graph is non-sense myself. I keep it on DTE so I know how many more miles I can keep my foot on the floor
Same here!!
Old 12-13-2009, 08:04 PM
sponkey21
1st Gear Member

I like the idea, but it is a stupid implementation. Instead of a retarded bar graph they should do what all the other car companies out there do and give you a real time number. BMWs, Lexuses, Toyotas and more all give you the real time MPG number instead. Way more useful.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sponkey21
I like the idea, but it is a stupid implementation. Instead of a retarded bar graph they should do what all the other car companies out there do and give you a real time number. BMWs, Lexuses, Toyotas and more all give you the real time MPG number instead. Way more useful.
umm it gives you that too. The bar graph is just an extra setting to pick. Personally I leave the screen blank. Im busy looking at the road anyway. My favorite of the settings is the timer though. Its a nice little addition.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Crazy Stallion
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xcelsius
umm it gives you that too. The bar graph is just an extra setting to pick. Personally I leave the screen blank. Im busy looking at the road anyway. My favorite of the settings is the timer though. Its a nice little addition.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it gives the "real-time" MPG number - the calculation seems to average the vehicle over a longer period of time...one that is not instantaneous. The bar graph is instantaneous visually, but does not give an actual number.

Last edited by Crazy Stallion; 12-13-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:45 PM
sponkey21
1st Gear Member

Yeah, there is only an average, not a real time/moment to moment/continuously calculated number to give you instantaneous mileage. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Ford has this same bar graph deal on all their cars. The Flex at least has the same thing. I would be happy if I was wrong though.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:11 AM
sterling_gray

These MPG bar graph things are only a good guess, you are lucky if the direction is right ....
These things show data that is more precise then the error tolerance of the sensor used to get the data.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:59 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
pay more attention to what rpms you are running than the MPG graph. You dont want to lug the engine with to low of RPMS and yet you dont want to run at 3 grand all the time....2100-2400 is pretty much ideal for me with 4.10s....the engine purrs and is instantly ready to run if you want to get up and go. The graph pretty much drops to 1 or 0 with any touch of the pedal on mine which makes it worthless IMO
Here we go off topic a bit

How low is to low on the rpm's? I have heard 1000 or less would be "lugging" the motor and a bad place to be, but if you shift at Ford's recommended shift speeds, then you stay between 900-2000 rpm's?
Old 12-14-2009, 01:02 PM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

Lugging is a factor that can be measured using your "assometer".

You can feel the lugging by the seat of your pants, for my car ('10 GT, 5-speed, 3.73), my 'feel' is keep it between 1800-2500 when crusing.

A quick flick down one notch and a punch leaves most mere mortals in my rearview mirror.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The MPG reading is an average and not a spontaneous value. On top of that, most of the values are not very accurate. Based on forum feedback, I'd guess that maybe 1 out of 10 on-boards are consistently within .2-.3 MPG of hand calculated values using the gas pump # of gallons vs. the on-board "gallons used" value. You COULD push the reset while cruising but then you end up with a bogus and meaningless value. Reset it at the pump when you fill-up and leave it alone until the subsequent fill-up.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:29 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Yep Nuke is right, I have a new Garmin and it has a Eco setting and you put in the price of the fuel, the average that you got from not hitting the reset when you fill up and does a pretty good job of telling you at next fill up where you are at, .... it keeps track of the route you take daily, the old Carbon foot print, LOL puttin down a big one of those, how much time spent driving, what it cost for the week give the actual read average I think, hey if i get 23 avg a week, for a power car, good for me, better than my 07 CTS with v6 aauto.

Quick Reply: Average speed