Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pillar gauge install

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 03:34 PM
drs102362
2nd Gear Member

Default Pillar gauge install

I'm going to install a dual pod pillar gauge. Where do I run the wires from the bottom of the pod? In the corner between the dash and windshield , down the side of the dash, or do I need to remove the dash?
Old 12-13-2009, 03:50 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

u can do exactly what you said

once you pull the A pillar, there will be space to run the wires down the side and down to the driver side kick panel
Old 12-13-2009, 04:31 PM
drs102362
2nd Gear Member

Thanks doode- I didn't think I needed to pull the A-pillar - I have a Autometer pillar and thought that I could just install it over the OEM pillar,
Old 12-13-2009, 04:37 PM
elmo3000
2nd Gear Member

What gauges did you get? I just bought the "All in one" pillar as well! I went for the Boost and Fuel/Air meters from Auto Meter!

All installed, but not wired in yet! At this stage I really need some help! I have no idea what to do!

If you have any pointers, or a detailed "how to", that would be awesome!
Old 12-13-2009, 04:51 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...installed.html
Old 12-13-2009, 09:55 PM
elmo3000
2nd Gear Member

this helps but still doesn't fill me with confidence to do this myself! I'm just not sure about the wiring for the lighting power etc!
Old 12-13-2009, 10:42 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by drs102362
Thanks doode- I didn't think I needed to pull the A-pillar - I have a Autometer pillar and thought that I could just install it over the OEM pillar,
you need to pull the stock A pillar to drill holes and push the locking pins to attach the autometer pod to the stock a pillar

i got a triple pod, so i also drilled 3 holes to run the wire from the guages to the underside of the a pillar and down to the kickpanel

as for lighting...i forget what wire, but i just took a 12V test light and started probing random wires at the main light switch until i found a wire that was powered on when the parking lights / headlights turned on

only tricky part is getting the stupid tabs at the bottom of the A pillar to lock into place
Old 12-14-2009, 08:04 AM
zoomerman46
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by elmo3000
this helps but still doesn't fill me with confidence to do this myself! I'm just not sure about the wiring for the lighting power etc!

A simpler solution would be to get the SOS Pillar Pod.You can get either 2 or 3 pods. .SOS actually used a OEM Ford pillar same matching color. I have the two pod installed in my 05 with Autometer C2 Boost and Fule pressure.
Install is pretty straight forward. I used the headlight dimmer to power the gauge lights that way they dim with the gauge cluster. I think it's the black/white stripe wire.as for uninterrupted power for the gauges. us an add a curcuit and wire it into the SJB passengerside kck plan.
Google gauge installs 2005 Mustang or try other variations in Google and I, sure you will find plenrty of info on this topic.
Here one.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...e-install.html

Follow this link and you can't go wrong.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I powered my boost gauge from one of the wires in the connector behind the main light switch. I just stuck the gauge power wire into each hole on the back of the harness and flipped the switch until I found the one that was switched and powered the light on when it was supposed to. I then just spliced it into that wire right there. The dimmer works and everything. This was actually one of the easiest aspects of the install.

If you need 12v switched power for other things (gauges or whatever), fuse #13 in the passenger side footwell is your friend. Just go buy an add-a-circuit from autozone/pep boys/whatever. You'll find suitable ground points at the large bolts on either side of the center stack.

Last edited by Mudflap; 12-14-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:06 AM
elmo3000
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
I powered my boost gauge from one of the wires in the connector behind the main light switch. I just stuck the gauge power wire into each hole on the back of the harness and flipped the switch until I found the one that was switched and powered the light on when it was supposed to. I then just spliced it into that wire right there. The dimmer works and everything. This was actually one of the easiest aspects of the install.

If you need 12v switched power for other things (gauges or whatever), fuse #13 in the passenger side footwell is your friend. Just go buy an add-a-circuit from autozone/pep boys/whatever. You'll find suitable ground points at the large bolts on either side of the center stack.
If I use fuse 13 can I use that for both gauges I have? Will that switch on when the lights come on or when the ignition is switched?

thanks

Quick Reply: Pillar gauge install