Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What causes out of round rear tires? Alignment sheet inside!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:18 AM
craven
Banned

Default What causes out of round rear tires? Alignment sheet inside!

i lowered the car with h&r super sports...

i then got front bolts and got the toe and camber good in the front, the guy said my rear looked good....its been lowered for about 1000 miles....well the rear tires feel slighly rough and out of round only on the inside 30% of the tire....what causes this?

i have provided my sheet below, please let me know if i need anything for the rear, and if so what i need, and what needs to be adjusted to get even tire wear, and straight rear end....

thanks

Old 12-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Not sure exactly what you mean by out of round. But an out of round tire comes from the factory that way. Usually can see it when spinning on a tire balancer, and generally will call for a lot of weight in one spot.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:31 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

By looking at your alignment sheet there is some thing wrong in the back. Only problem is the back is not adjustable.Front looks good.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:53 PM
dragrace4fun80
1st Gear Member

You can have them shaved if from the factory, but I'd just send it back for a replacement. Second, you can have an out-of-round tire from radial and/or belt separation in the tire (usually either manufacturer defect or overheating/hardening of the tire, such as doing a long burn-out or excessively aggressive driving on cheap-o tires). Saw a few of the latter while working at a tire shop.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:58 PM
craven
Banned

if i get lower control arms that are adjustable will that help?

also what is the thrust angle? should it not be 0 degrees? if i undo the factory lower control arms on the rear, and open the hole up on the arm or frame like you would do to fix camber on a front strut will that work? like if i was to open the hole up and slide the passenger rear forward, and then do the opposite for the driver side to try to get 0 degrees?

Last edited by craven; 12-16-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:01 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by craven
if i get lower control arms that are adjustable will that help?

also what is the thrust angle? should it not be 0 degrees? if i undo the factory lower control arms on the rear, and open the hole up on the arm or frame like you would do to fix camber on a front strut will that work? like if i was to open the hole up and slide the passenger rear forward, and then do the opposite for the driver side to try to get 0 degrees?
Don't undo or cut anything!! The thrust runs from center diff to centerline of the car, it's never going to be zero because needle bearings in your u joints wont work. You're never going to get 100% perfect measurements being alignment target are placed on rim lips and those may not be 100% totally round, even under compensation the vehicle never rolls back to the exact same spot. With all do respect your lack of knowledge as to what you're looking at vrs what you're describing is making you panic. You don't have out of round tires from what I can decifer from your description you have edge wear. That can be caused from a previous misalignment, low tire pressure or hard cornering. Relax before you end up either destroying your frame or dropping hundreds of dollars for nothing.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:56 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

I would want to find out why the rear toe is so off! Has the car ever been in accident? The thrust angle well never be 0 but there is something wrong in the back. The RR is really off, the thrust angle should be close to 0
Old 12-16-2009, 09:45 PM
craven
Banned

thanks guys i am going to jack the car up and let the tires spin in the rear, i will record it and post it to see if yall think its bent....if not the toe is too far opposite....
Old 12-17-2009, 12:15 AM
bigblue95z
2nd Gear Member

How long have you had the car? If the front was out of alignment, it can cause the the tires to have a 'lumpy' feeling to them, meaning the tread blocks aren't worn evenly even on the same chunk. This takes thousands of miles to occur. If someone had the car before you, they prob just rotated the tires to the back and didn't get the alignment fixed.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:58 AM
craven
Banned

possible but i have 275 40 17's in the back and they were there when i got the car.....and the toe is too far off....

Quick Reply: What causes out of round rear tires? Alignment sheet inside!