Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 10:35 PM
stangfreak2
2nd Gear Member

I AM going to be upgrading the wheels and tires, probably to 285/40/18 rear with 255/45/18 fronts. I think I am going to go with the pro kit. What else will i need to make the suspension work well/properly with no rubbing? camber bolts/plates, panhard bar, steering stops, etc.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:46 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Im running K springs with tokico dampers. Its really really worth doing both at the same time as about everyone here will say the same. I didnt get a panhard and i lucked out and didnt really need it as the axle didnt shift enought to be noticable.

I got it aligned and they said it was dead on no need for adjustment.

Im very very happy with the handleing although i do want the back to be about 1/2" lower, parking next to a stock height mustang it looks night and day different
Old 12-19-2009, 10:56 PM
stangfreak2
2nd Gear Member

are the k springs in fact the same as the pro kit? so are you thinking about going with the sportlines? So should i go with springs and dampers first, and get a panhard and camber bolts after if necessary?
Old 12-19-2009, 11:29 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

I think the stock height looks plenty good, leave the ricer look out of it.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:04 AM
stangfreak2
2nd Gear Member

I think the car looks to be sitting up a little too high after putting on larger wheels. I think the sportlines would be TOO low, but the pro kit looks better than stock.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mdg
So, if I go with the Steeda Ultralights or Eibach Pro-kit, do I need an alignment and adjustable pan hard rod?
Alignment - yes. Camber will go a little further negative (which may or may not be an issue, and a little more negative camber might even be preferable if you're more of a corner-carver than a drag-racer). Toe will shift, and this is what eats up tires.

Adjustable PHB - wait and see. There's no hurry, and if you do need to have the adjustment this can be swapped in and adjusted at any time without affecting anything else. And be sure to check the 'before' and 'after' after you've driven the car enough to settle the suspension. I don't think that everybody checks it that way.

Norm
Old 12-20-2009, 08:56 AM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdbrown75
Based on that information the Steeda Ultralights are EXACTLY what you are looking for.

Tim
Actually, based on the information on Steeda's web site, the Steeda Sport springs fit your requirements exactly. The ultralights have an additional 1/4 inch of drop front and rear. I initially "thought" I wanted the Ultralights, too, but after talking to Sam Strano I opted for the Steeda Sports instead. Their spring rate is less than the ultralights. The Sports give a better ride (for my but) than the Pro-kits, and the look and handling are much better than the stock springs, IMO.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:59 AM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Alignment - yes. Camber will go a little further negative (which may or may not be an issue, and a little more negative camber might even be preferable if you're more of a corner-carver than a drag-racer). Toe will shift, and this is what eats up tires.

Adjustable PHB - wait and see. There's no hurry, and if you do need to have the adjustment this can be swapped in and adjusted at any time without affecting anything else. And be sure to check the 'before' and 'after' after you've driven the car enough to settle the suspension. I don't think that everybody checks it that way.

Norm
Agree 100%. My experience has been the same.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:11 AM
GT08FastPony

Pro kit and I didnt need a panhard as the axle didnt shift enough to be noticable.
Front camber will be on the neg so it will need an alignment.

I'm running staggard 20's (285x30x20) (255x35x20) with 1.25 drop front 1.5 drop rear and looks good.

The ride feels like my Harley so I'm right at home with it. LOL
Old 12-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

So what are the big differences between the steeda ultra and sport springs? Which one offers the best ride quality while lowering the car?

Quick Reply: best lowering springs