Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:58 PM
GT08FastPony

Geez . . . I guess I'll never know how I managed to avoid having a low tire pressure disaster happen at some point during the first 45 years of my driving career. Or how my Dad has done so for over 70 years.

LOL!! I feel exactly the same way...How did we ever make it without the Gov telling us how to be safe. Hell, we ate lead paint and played with mercury when we were kids!
Old 12-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

But you all do agree that we need government intervention to have fast food chains label their coffee cups so we know for sure that hot coffee can burn us...?

Of course it wasn't against the law for a woman to be painting her finger nails while driving and then running into and killing another woman on a motorcycle that was simply sitting at a red light (her attorney actually tried to use that as a defense)...

Here we go ranting again.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:25 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

I wasn't used to this TPMS silly crap. I got in my car the other day and saw the warning light. Not being familiar with the icon, I was like "what the ef is that thing?" I popped the hood, checked my fluids, listened for odd sounds and so on. Out of pure luck, I noticed the front passenger side tire was a little low.

I still hate TMPS.
Originally Posted by Nuke
But you all do agree that we need government intervention to have fast food chains label their coffee cups so we know for sure that hot coffee can burn us...?

Of course it wasn't against the law for a woman to be painting her finger nails while driving and then running into and killing another woman on a motorcycle that was simply sitting at a red light (her attorney actually tried to use that as a defense)...

Here we go ranting again.
School buses still don't have seat belts. Also, motorcyclists don't have to wear helmets in Texas. But by god, the company that manufactured TPMS sensors lobbied the hell out of congress and here we are, paying for more **** than we want.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Common sense tells me to stop looking at this thread which has a bottom line associated with our perceived lack of common sense.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:53 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Common sense tells me to stop looking at this thread which has a bottom line associated with our perceived lack of common sense.
Tires need air in them? Since when? How could air hold up a car, let alone 35 psi?

This is BS. Go back to crazy land.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

And we could never tell just by LOOKING at our gas gauge that we were getting low on fuel... NOW we need beeps and messages to tell us that the needle pointing towards "E" means we'd better stop. I think the next thing will be a little boxing glove that extends from the dash to hit us in the face so we're awake to hear the beeps and to read the message that tells us the needle is on "E" since we weren't aware that we've driven almsot 380 miles since last filling up... ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!
Old 12-21-2009, 05:31 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

And we could never tell just by LOOKING at our gas gauge that we were getting low on fuel... NOW we need beeps and messages to tell us that the needle pointing towards "E" means we'd better stop. I think the next thing will be a little boxing glove that extends from the dash to hit us in the face so we're awake to hear the beeps and to read the message that tells us the needle is on "E" since we weren't aware that we've driven almsot 380 miles since last filling up... ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!
Nuke, think of TPMS as the gas gauge for your tires... not everyone is as "in-tune" with their cars as many members of this forum are.

Think about it, we're on a Mustang forum... means we like cars and most of us take care of them. Not everyone shares the same hobby and their car is strictly for transportation uses. For those people who are "too busy" living their life to notice things like low tire pressure, this is a great thing.

Norm, I sort of see where you're coming from but bottom line is that for the masses this is a good thing... it's a safety feature that MANY benefit from. Why on earth wouldn't the GOVT implement it?

Nuke and Norm... sounds like a weird version of the Dukes of Hazzard. :-)
Old 12-21-2009, 07:31 PM
drs102362
2nd Gear Member

I'm with you Norm, I've been driving since '77 and have never once said "man I wish I had tire pressure sensors". It's just one more reason to have to pay out the nose to a garage when you get your car inspected. And Johnboy you're correct, when the Mustang light goes on, unless it's very noticeable you have no idea which tire is low.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

lol you guys are funny. May you all have better luck than I've had in the past with getting nails and junk in your tires then. I've had slow/medium speed leaks in various tires on various cars no less than 10x in the past 15 years. And I'm dilligent as hell when it comes to maintenance. You can't see em all. Glad to have the TPMS as it would have saved me more than one 2am tire change on a dark highway in the past..
Old 12-22-2009, 03:51 AM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

It annoyed the hell out of me not having them. The only bands I will ever use again are the 2 for I think $20 from American Muscle. Basically, a giant hose clamp. They are top notch. As for the sensors, I went with New Take Off. Got 4 for $90 and I was set. $110 total fix basically without the labor to put them on the wheels (do it at the same time as new tires).

Quick Reply: TPMS Necessary?