Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To those who use Flash tuners: ever bricked your ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:53 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

I have came pretty close i think i blew the fuse. My plastic around my pins on the tuner is all cracked though i just have to be really careful but glad it was just a fuse
Old 12-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rford426
I have came pretty close i think i blew the fuse. My plastic around my pins on the tuner is all cracked though i just have to be really careful but glad it was just a fuse
Yeah my plug is half missing the plastic shield, but it works.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:23 PM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

i reflash my car almost every weekend.i have a nitrous tune and an n/a tune so when i go to the track(almost every friday)i download my nitrous tune and before i leave i put back my n/a tune.no problems so far in 1 year except i have blown a fuse a couple of times.the only thing i found out is i cannot reload a tune back to back or itll blow the fuse.i have to wait at least 10 minutes between downloads.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:39 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

So far ...

Bricked (by an FRPP tuner) -- yet "re-flashable" by Ford: 1
Bricked (by an SCT XCal2) -- yet "re-flashable" by Ford: 1
Erroneous error: 1
Failed to load: 2
Blown fuse: 2

Incorrect vehicle firmware uploaded: priceless

As more input flows in, I'll update this post periodically with results.

Last edited by 7up; 12-23-2009 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Updating replies & details
Old 12-23-2009, 08:16 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

When I first had my SCT XCal2 tune the Ford dealer upgraded my computer during the normal service and that changed the strategy code. When I loaded my tune back in it bricked the computer and the car would not start or return to stock. I had to have the car towed back to Ford and have the computer reflashed then get all new tunes for the new code.

Earl
Old 12-23-2009, 08:32 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
When I first had my SCT XCal2 tune the Ford dealer upgraded my computer during the normal service and that changed the strategy code. When I loaded my tune back in it bricked the computer and the car would not start or return to stock. I had to have the car towed back to Ford and have the computer reflashed then get all new tunes for the new code.
Interesting.

And I say that because when I first plugged my SCT tuner (an SF3) into my vehicle, it didn't recognize the ECU. Turned out the strategy code wasn't in SCTs tune. They sent me a mini update to resolve it. And the update was minor in that the revised strategy code was the same, except with an added revision letter at the end (i.e., FPBF2a -- or something close to that, I forget off the top of my head.)

But in the meantime, I was not allowed entry into the ECU to do anything.

How long ago did this happen?

Maybe SCT has since modified their tuners to better recgonize unsupported strategies, and consequently not let the tuner go forth with its intended processes.

Dunno though, pure conjecture on my part.

Last edited by 7up; 12-23-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

Switched my tunes at a gas station once and it failed to load... car wouldn't start or anything and I was getting ready for a 1,000 mile trip. I just kept trying over and over and finally got one to load. After that no problems. Also while putting in a new tune I blew a fuse but this was before I knew anything about the blown fuse problem. Jumped on MF and found the answer.... now I always keep a little box of 10amp fuses in my glove box...
Old 12-23-2009, 10:38 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Johnboy7701
Switched my tunes at a gas station once and it failed to load... car wouldn't start or anything and I was getting ready for a 1,000 mile trip. I just kept trying over and over and finally got one to load. After that no problems. Also while putting in a new tune I blew a fuse but this was before I knew anything about the blown fuse problem. Jumped on MF and found the answer.... now I always keep a little box of 10amp fuses in my glove box...

I was not aware of this blown fuse issue. And apparently I didn't search far/hard enough on MF to find out about it, too.

So this is good to know. If it happened to me without prior knowledge that other's had experienced this, I'd have [******] in my pants!

Last edited by 7up; 12-24-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

True, also its located in the fuse panel on the passenger footwell... so quick note to someone who decides to install a fuse away from home... just carry some spares just in case. I think its happened to quite a few people on here...
Old 12-24-2009, 08:50 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

This was in 06, SCT may have built in a fail safe since then I would hope so. I use the racers package now so Ford doesn't touch it any more.

Earl

Quick Reply: To those who use Flash tuners: ever bricked your ECU?