Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start for Manual Transmission???

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Detecting neutral isn't the problem so much as reliably doing so over time. Mechanical things like limit switches can either stick or fall out of adjustment, leaving you with either a loss of interlock or a no-start condition.

If you make it such that neutral plus P-brake is the only way it can be remotely started, you'll lose the hill-holding power that engine compression in gear (1st or R) gives you. Not a great idea if you live in hilly terrain.

Knowing that the P-brake cables on these cars have had issues with icing/freezing in the winter, just using the P-brake at all is not without its own faults.

When you get annoyed with any required shutdown procedure to the point of bypassing interlocks and such, it's time to remove it completely.

Beats me how folks have let themselves get so coddled that they'll avoid making just one extra trip out to the car in the cold.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-02-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:49 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Detecting neutral isn't the problem so much as reliably doing so over time. Mechanical things like limit switches can either stick or fall out of adjustment, leaving you with either a loss of interlock or a no-start condition.

If you make it such that neutral plus P-brake is the only way it can be remotely started, you'll lose the hill-holding power that engine compression in gear (1st or R) gives you. Not a great idea if you live in hilly terrain.

Knowing that the P-brake cables on these cars have had issues with icing/freezing in the winter, just using the P-brake at all is not without its own faults.

When you get annoyed with any required shutdown procedure to the point of bypassing interlocks and such, it's time to remove it completely.

Beats me how folks have let themselves get so coddled that they'll avoid making just one extra trip out to the car in the cold.

Norm
It's like cold out...and stuff.

Eh..I do wish to keep this car for it's lifetime, however long that might be, since it's got a decent passive alarm already I think maybe I'll just pass on it for now. If I was going to do an alarm anyhow I still would as the better ones like with the Clifford G5 I it's not much extra work for the benefit.

The prospect of tearing into my car again for another electronics project complete with heat-shrink tubing and portable soldering iron doesn't thrill me too much if I decide after a few winters it might be too risky, or it's bothersome.

This is Delaware we're talking about though, hill wise. While I'm not in the habit of putting it into neutral and pulling up the emergency brake unless I'm idling somewhere, there are 0 hills. I've not had any issues with the e-brake at all in cold/freezing weather to date when it's been used either.

Ah well, time to find something else I actually want. Aside from a 2012 boss 302.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

BAD IDEA.

You should have been here for the thread where
the guy had a remote start in a manual, took it to get
his oil changed/etc. at the dealership, and
the car ended up in the lake across the street from the dealership.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:14 PM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

I think the reason they don't do neutral sensing for remote start is because they don't want people parking the car with it not in gear. I prefer to have 2 systems keeping my car in place not one.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:23 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
BAD IDEA.

You should have been here for the thread where
the guy had a remote start in a manual, took it to get
his oil changed/etc. at the dealership, and
the car ended up in the lake across the street from the dealership.
that thread is linked a few posts up
Old 12-02-2010, 07:10 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I just turn on my heated seats
Old 12-02-2010, 07:43 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I just turn on the car, and while it is warming up, I bust out the windshield scraper and scrape the ice off the windows...Wait a minute! We don't get ice on our cars where we are at! LOL

Seriously though, remote start is a bad idea on a manual car. I thought about it too a month or two ago, I just find it easier to go out, start the car to warm up, and do other stuff while the car warms up.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:34 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Suprised this thread isn't locked yet Great job using the search feature, bad idea on the remote start.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:22 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

How many people here actually HAVE a remote start with M/T ? I read a lot of posts saying its horrible and dangerous, but who actually runs it ?

I do, It is pretty fail safe unless someone crawls into the car with a window down and puts it in gear when the engine is off ( read below ).

I have a compustar and in order for it to remote start i must :

Come to a complete stop.
Put car in neutral.
Pull up hand brake.
Remove key and get out of car.
***car is still running at this point ***
Close door.
Alarm arms, shuts off engine automatically.

If the alarm is tripped, if a door / trunk/ hood is opened, the alarm will not remote start.

I walk back to my car, hit remote start, it starts.

Because you leave with the car still running in neutral, the only way things can go south is if someone through an open window, stuck it in gear without tripping the alarm.

I like remote start...lets the oil get circulating for a few minutes before I get in so I can just get in and go.

Last edited by doode; 12-03-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:33 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
Thread resurrection time!

I´m planning on the Clifford Matrix 20.7x for my 5 speed ´08 GT-CS.

This doesn´t give the detail of if it can clone this properly without using some sort of bypass module.

I´m wondering if someone else might know that has done a remote start install on a newer mustang with the chip in the key.
Immobilizer bypass...box that memorizes your keycode.

Any half decent alarm installer will know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by doode; 12-03-2010 at 12:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Remote Start for Manual Transmission???