Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Review of Brenspeed tune for 2010 GT

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:51 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Default Short Review of Brenspeed tune for 2010 GT

I have been running the Brenspeed 91 Tune in my 2010 Mustang GT.

My observations:

1. The pedal is more sensitive. You feel more acceleration and response on tip in to the throttle.
2. If you go really deep into the throttle or wide open, I don't think there is much difference from stock. In fact I think it feels a little weaker than stock on full throttle. Perhaps less torque.
3. On the highway the car requires less throttle to keep a given speed. This in turn makes it more pleasant from the standpoint of noise. The exhaust drone seems to be less, I think because I don't have to open the throttle as much.
4. I notice that the car seems to have an inconsistant response to throttle. Sometimes on hard throttle in a higher gear the car jumps and sometimes it seems to just kind of slowly climb in speed.
Overall, I like the stock tune better. Not sure which would be quicker on a track, but the stock tune feels more consistance and linear to me.

Fuel economy is about the same.

Anyone else have inputs on this tune?
Old 12-31-2009, 06:02 PM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

Your the first person I have ever heard say that
Old 12-31-2009, 06:09 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

Yea thats weird
Old 12-31-2009, 06:11 PM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

I have the 93 Brenspeed tune in my 2010 GT. Two things I noticed are:

1. when you get on it and the rpms are ramping up, at around 3000 rpm there is a noticable increase in performance
2. when the engine is cold and outside temps below 40, for the first min or so the throtle is extremely sensitive, making the car buck and serge with little foot input.

I guess the response is quicker with the tune and I am hoping that Brenspeed will have a tune for my 2011 GT when it comes out next year.

Joe
Old 12-31-2009, 06:26 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Perhaps you need to contact Brenspeed and have them revise the tune. But first I'd return the car to stock (it's pretty easy to swap the intakes back and forth once you've assembled the CAI assuming you also bought a CAI) and run it pretty hard, then go back to the custom tune and repeat the runs.

I've been on the forum over 2 1/2 years and I think that maybe about 1 out of 25 people say they don't notice that much of a difference.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:16 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

I even notice a difference just with my FRPP tune.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:09 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I notice a difference. The car feels quicker on less throttle input. However on larger throttle inputs it really doesn't feel stronger. In fact it actually doesn't seem to sound as good on full throttle runs. I have no pinging, although it sort of feels like the engine is advanced too far because it sometimes feels like it is restricted in its revs. Like perhaps it is advancing too soon, but again it is not linear so it is difficult to really tell.

I didnt buy the CAI as I have read that on the 2010 it is really not worth it. In fact the dyno numbers I read on this forum put it at perhaps 3 rwhp which is not worth the extra $300 for a CAI.

I have gone back and forth between the 91 tune and stock a couple of times. Pretty straight forward in the evaluation. The stock tune is definately more linear and consistant in its response. As for matching the Brenspeed tune against the stock tune on a track, that I haven't done so I don't know which would be quicker. I also have not dyno'd so I don't have any HP/TQ numbers.

If you are in 3rd for example at 50 mph and mash the throttle, it seems to bog a bit. The term bog is probably too severe of description, but the car accelerates with a moan but not strong. If I tip into the throttle and slowly push down the car will seem to respond more linear and powerful. This is not true of the stock tune. The stock tune will provide the opposite and more expected feel. Again, I sort of wonder if it advances the spark curve too soon or something.

On hard launch, for example 2500 RPM clutch drop in 1st - The stock tune will provide a harder launch. I get a more aggressive wheel spin with the stock tune. Not a big difference but noticeable to me.

Anyway, the Brenspeed 91 tune I am running is not terrible, it is just not preferable to the stock tune on my car. I also bought an 89 tune but I have not tried that tune yet. I think I will try it.

If my wife were to drive the two, she would probably say the Benspeed 91 is faster, because it is on light throttle inputs. But not so on 3/4+ throttle inputs.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:42 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
I notice a difference. The car feels quicker on less throttle input. However on larger throttle inputs it really doesn't feel stronger. In fact it actually doesn't seem to sound as good on full throttle runs. I have no pinging, although it sort of feels like the engine is advanced too far because it sometimes feels like it is restricted in its revs. Like perhaps it is advancing too soon, but again it is not linear so it is difficult to really tell.

I didnt buy the CAI as I have read that on the 2010 it is really not worth it. In fact the dyno numbers I read on this forum put it at perhaps 3 rwhp which is not worth the extra $300 for a CAI.

I have gone back and forth between the 91 tune and stock a couple of times. Pretty straight forward in the evaluation. The stock tune is definately more linear and consistant in its response. As for matching the Brenspeed tune against the stock tune on a track, that I haven't done so I don't know which would be quicker. I also have not dyno'd so I don't have any HP/TQ numbers.

If you are in 3rd for example at 50 mph and mash the throttle, it seems to bog a bit. The term bog is probably too severe of description, but the car accelerates with a moan but not strong. If I tip into the throttle and slowly push down the car will seem to respond more linear and powerful. This is not true of the stock tune. The stock tune will provide the opposite and more expected feel. Again, I sort of wonder if it advances the spark curve too soon or something.

On hard launch, for example 2500 RPM clutch drop in 1st - The stock tune will provide a harder launch. I get a more aggressive wheel spin with the stock tune. Not a big difference but noticeable to me.

Anyway, the Brenspeed 91 tune I am running is not terrible, it is just not preferable to the stock tune on my car. I also bought an 89 tune but I have not tried that tune yet. I think I will try it.

If my wife were to drive the two, she would probably say the Benspeed 91 is faster, because it is on light throttle inputs. But not so on 3/4+ throttle inputs.
I would talk to Brenspeed as they would be the only ones who would really know what the problem could be. I've only heard good things about them thus far. I'm trying to decide if once I get a SCT tuner from AM (have about $225 of gift cards/credit to spend there) if I should go with one of Brenspeeds' tunes or not. It looks as though the SCT from AM comes with 1 custom or with 3 pre loaded tunes? So I'm not sure what that means. Sorry for the hijack.

Last edited by StreamlineStang; 12-31-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:56 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

Its 1 custom tune at 3 octane levels 87, 91 and 93, and it saves your stock tune...

Last edited by dominant1; 01-01-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:43 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Brenspeed customer service was very good in getting my tune to me. I am not down on Brenspeed, just providing my opinion of the 91 Tune on a California car (I had them leave the rear O2 sensors on).

I guess I might email them, but I don't really think there is anything wrong with the tune, but I could be wrong.

Quick Reply: Short Review of Brenspeed tune for 2010 GT