Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you guys remove the rear faux gas cap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 01:19 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Default How do you guys remove the rear faux gas cap?

Just like the thread question, how do you safely remove the fake gas cap? Is it easy/hard? Dont want to damage the paint around it. Please help.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:23 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

A little heat, some heavy fishing line and it should pop right off. You can also tape up around the perimeter to protect the paint and gently pry it up with a thin scraper. Either way, a little heat will help. Then the fun will start with having to remove all the adhesive, which is where 3M adhesive remover can make things a lot easier.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:43 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

i popped mine off with a little screwdriver. took a few minutes but it came off.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:24 AM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06
Just like the thread question, how do you safely remove the fake gas cap? Is it easy/hard? Dont want to damage the paint around it. Please help.
I watched on MotorzTV a quick clip in how to do this. Carefully tape both the top and bottom on the metal side of the car. Using plastic pry tools gently, pry off the cap. obviously heated areas make things easier. Hair dryers assist in getting things off. slow and steady. Much like getting the GT badges off the sides. The video shoed the cap just popping off the 2010 but that was a relativly new car. Yours may take longer. Patience. I used Goo Gone to take off the residue, then Waxed it later.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:10 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

I tried all of that and the tape I had on hand didn't stick to the car worth a crap and the plastic pry bars i had wouldn't do the trick. I ended up getting a finger under one side of the cap and pulling. It came off easy enough. After that lots of scraping and goo gone to get the big black chunk of adhesive off. I didn't get it all off, got tired of scrubbing and was going with a cdc blackout panel anyhow that covered it up.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

After going through the adhesive removal process on both my spoiler along with the faux gas cap, I read about these pinstripe removal tools. If used correctly, they are supposed to work wonders with getting the heavy stuff off. The final residue can easily be removed with 3M adhesive remover.

http://www.goferauto.com/3mstwh.html
Old 01-08-2010, 02:48 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

I sharpened a piece of plexiglass, and pried up two sides just a little bit, and then it was easy for me to pull it off with my fingers. I know some folks that have had a harder time in removing it than I had.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Flyingpants
2nd Gear Member

I just recently removed mine, and all that I used was a heat gun and something to gently pry it with. The faux cap came right off, however, it was due mostly to applying the heat. Save yourself the headache and use HEAT! Good Luck!
Old 01-08-2010, 03:09 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Joe, if you have any questions on how to get it off just call me bro and I'll walk you threw it.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:11 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Anyone have any pics of what's behind the cap? The holes?

Quick Reply: How do you guys remove the rear faux gas cap?