Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for used. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:09 PM
F350-6

Default Looking for used. Suggestions?

FNG here. I've been browsing the site looking for info. Not too thrilled with the spark plug issues, but it helps to know that up front. Anyway, looking for a GT 06-08 model with a hand shaker. Any threads or advice on what to look for or avoid? Any known weak spots other than the spark plug seizing?

I've read here about many CAI's requiring a tune to run properly. I've run across one with a CAI and axle back exhaust and suspected a tune, but of course, how do you tell? So if there is a tuner on the car, should there be gauges so the previous owner could monitor things? If so, what should they have been monitoring, and what are the consequences of not monitoring these items?

Any general picture threads so we can look at different color / wheel / striping options? Any other advice you can offer on what to look for?

Last edited by F350-6; 01-11-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:53 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

mods please move this to the WTF section
Old 01-11-2010, 07:56 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Just FYI, you posted in the s197 section.. 2005-2009. A moderator should probably be moving this to the correct location soon..
Old 01-11-2010, 08:18 PM
F350-6

Sorry for the confusion. My keyboard didn't want to type what I meant. I'm looking for an 2006 - 2008 model. I hit the edit button. This is the right section, correct? The whole 197 thing doesn't make sense to me if this is just a Mustang place, but all of you seem to be happy with it.

I guess the years just tend to run together after a while. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:29 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Oh hehe, no problem. Welcome aboard s197 is the model code for 2005 to 2011 (so far). We had a few threads going around recently of the different model years '05-'09.

CAI's require tunes, except for the BBK which they advertise as "no tune", but if it has a CAI, most likely there is a tune installed.

The best way for me was just to check out cars.com, autotrader, etc. and see what's out there in the surrounding market for styling and looks.

Last edited by alkemist; 01-11-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'd start with '07 and work up, mainly because the # of applicable TSB's begin to fall-off a bit beginning with the '07's. The biggest worry is the water leak TSB issue which can become a real nightmare to both get fixed and for the problems it can eventually cause. Other than that, the car is superb stock and better the more you mod it. You don't NEED a tune to solve anything but a good CUSTOM tune and CAI combo is the biggest single power adder short of going FI. It also greatly improves driveability, especially on automatics.

Best bet is to read thru the forum, especially the stickies which include the list of TSB's.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
F350-6

Originally Posted by alkemist
Oh hehe, no problem. Welcome aboard s197 is the model code for 2005 to 2011 (so far). We had a few threads going around recently of the different model years '05-'09.
Yea, some idiot put the 9 and the 0 next to each other on my keyboard.

I've tried reading some of the old threads, but there's too much info out there to understand what's what. Any cliff notes or links?

Originally Posted by Nuke
I'd start with '07 and work up, mainly because the # of applicable TSB's begin to fall-off a bit beginning with the '07's. The biggest worry is the water leak TSB issue which can become a real nightmare to both get fixed and for the problems it can eventually cause. Other than that, the car is superb stock and better the more you mod it. You don't NEED a tune to solve anything but a good CUSTOM tune and CAI combo is the biggest single power adder short of going FI. It also greatly improves driveability, especially on automatics.

Best bet is to read thru the forum, especially the stickies which include the list of TSB's.
I'm not the best at finding things on the internet. Care to share the TSB # and a description of the water leak issue? Big enough reason to avoid 06 or just something to be aware of?

I don't mind doing work myself, tunes don't scare me once I learn the proper way to do them, the pony won't be a daily driver, so I'm pretty flexible if I can learn enough going into this to know what I'm doing. I'm a little more comfortable poking around under the hood of a Powerstroke, but the wife wants to add a Pony to the stable.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:02 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by F350-6
Yea, some idiot put the 9 and the 0 next to each other on my keyboard.

I've tried reading some of the old threads, but there's too much info out there to understand what's what. Any cliff notes or links?

I'm not the best at finding things on the internet. Care to share the TSB # and a description of the water leak issue? Big enough reason to avoid 06 or just something to be aware of?

I don't mind doing work myself, tunes don't scare me once I learn the proper way to do them, the pony won't be a daily driver, so I'm pretty flexible if I can learn enough going into this to know what I'm doing. I'm a little more comfortable poking around under the hood of a Powerstroke, but the wife wants to add a Pony to the stable.
IMO, I would look at '07 and '08. First of all, '06, we're looking already at a 4 year old car, not sure if that is a concern for you, if you are planning to get a future mustang after this, when, etc. My '06 seems to do fine though, and it doesn't have the water leak issue. It's just something to keep an eye out for. To simply put it though, '05 - '09 are essentially the same, except as each model year progressed, things were tweaked or TSB's resolved, thats why you may want to look '07-'09. You can take a look at this thread for some things that were brought up.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...0-05-09-a.html

As for tunes.. you need to buy a hand held tuner, and you do not program it yourself. You can change some things here and there, but you usually either A. buy a custom tune specifically for your car or B. you get a canned tune.

It's kinda difficult to just spurt everything out, I know it's a lot of info to weed through or read, but the internet has a wealth of knowledge to help you decide and what choices are available. By all means, if you have any questions, post on here. Maybe pick something specific you want, say like color, and stem out from there and see what you come up with.. there is security package, comfort package, interior upgrade packages that I can think off the top of my head for a GT. Racing stripes, rocker stripes, mods people may have added on, mods you may want to add, etc.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:16 PM
F350-6

Thanks alkemist, seems like we're getting closer now. We can get into mods and specifics later. Right now I'm just concerned with not buying a dusted motor or some POS. Links to the water issue (whatever it is) would still be appreciated.

In response to the 05 - 09 models and the TSB's, should I be looking at any info on an OASIS report to see what has and has not been addressed?

I'll read through your link and ask questions later. As mentioned, I'll wait for the mods questions till after I find a vehicle.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:24 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

This is the PDF version of the TSB for water leak.

http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/07-14-06.pdf

Quick Reply: Looking for used. Suggestions?