Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for used. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 06:08 PM
F350-6

Thanks for the link. The water leak doesn't seem too bad. At least it's not dripping on electrical gadgets making more problems. Any other known weak links to watch for?

About how long does the clutch last in these things? I know it varies by driving habits and styles, but got any ballparks?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Actually, the water leak can be fatal to the car. It's in the area of the SJB which basically is the central nervous system of the car. The water leak eventually corrodes connections and the board causing the car to act possessed (as described by a few forum members that have experienced this unfortunate... "glitch") and then you have no choice but to replace the SJB. NOT pretty.

What's been almost as ugly, if not worse, are some attempts at repair by a few dealerships. A kindergartener with Playdough could have done better...
Old 01-12-2010, 07:52 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by F350-6
About how long does the clutch last in these things? I know it varies by driving habits and styles, but got any ballparks?
As for the clutch, I drive automatic, sorry

Originally Posted by Nuke
What's been almost as ugly, if not worse, are some attempts at repair by a few dealerships. A kindergartener with Playdough could have done better...
That's pretty sad.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:50 PM
F350-6

Originally Posted by Nuke
Actually, the water leak can be fatal to the car. It's in the area of the SJB which basically is the central nervous system of the car. The water leak eventually corrodes connections and the board causing the car to act possessed (as described by a few forum members that have experienced this unfortunate... "glitch") and then you have no choice but to replace the SJB. NOT pretty.

This is what I was afraid of, but the TSB didn't really mention this. So where exactly is the SJB? Can you see it with an inspection mirror and flashlight? Feel it? See it some way? What are the common circuits to show the first signs of issues? Any soft codes tripped?

What are the odds that this issue wouldn't have been discovered by now? I guess a garage kept vehicle may not have noticed it?

I'd really prefer to keep the vehicle far away from the stealership if possible. Just need some guidance to keep me pointed in the right direction.