Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side view mirror install

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Dontana69

Unhappy Side view mirror install

Bought aftermarket sideview mirrors with turn signals. Getting the mirrors on was easy. How the heck do I run the wires thru the harness into the car? It seems as tho there is a block at the wall. Any Ideas???Wiil post pics when project completes.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:10 PM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

I went through this last year....I bought side mirrors with LED signals in them too. You have to run the wire through the weatherproof boot into the main body of the car. The passenger side is easy. The driver side is a lot harder.

Do the Passenger side first, it's the easiest and you can learn what's what. The waterproof boot attaches to the frame of the vehicle by friction. This is a normal way to seal around an access point. The passenger side is easy to get back on but the driver side is a real pain. Just be aware of this and be patient.

I will assume, obviously, you have the inside door panel off etc. If not, you will have to do this as well as remove the inside door sill and side kick panel. You will also have to remove the Power Junction box on the passenger side. You need to run the wire from the mirror through the boot into the car's interior and then follow the manufacturer's wiring diagram.

As far as the driver's side, that's a little harder. There is a large structural post there where the access point is. I used two "Fish" wires and used my fingers to find them then taped the wire to the one end outside the car, then "Gently" pulled the wire through into the interior of the vehicle. Again, follow the manufacturer's instructions on wiring. Replace the boot on the outside of the vehicle to retain water tightness. This could be a pain but make sure you get it done.

Before you replace all your panels etc, test your wiring and your signals.

You might need to get creative with some of the tools you need. I looked everywhere for a plastic type of knitting needle which was strong enough to be pushed yet flexible enough to bend around a slight corner. If you can find such a tool, that might help you here, if not, I used a 24” piece of 18 ga copper wire and taped the wire I was using for the mirrors to the end of it. The Copper wire is stiff enough yet will bend if need be.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Tempted

I've done similar mods with lights and power windows before. I generally use thin copper wire to pull the wires through. On a power window install I used a coat hanger to thread twine through the boot, and then tied the wire harness to the twine and pulled it through.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:57 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

Just cut the wires and make them "wireless"
Old 01-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Tempted

Or be a ricer and just tape the harness to the inside of the door. Be sure and use black tape to "hide" the wires too....
Old 01-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Dontana69

Thank you all for your responses! Most likely as you all were reading and responding I chose to get back out there and do it! Resqman..your right patients is a virtue! All panels you mentioned did come off. Not the power box tho. The only tool I used was a dental pick! And that was used at the body, where the harness connects. I found enough room to push into the connector with my finger, using the pick to thread it thru, worked remarkably well and right away! I then said a prayer and threaded it thru the body side connector, reached up inside and over the wall and grabe the wire with two fingers, remember..i said a PRAYER! it worked! This was done on the passenger side first, cause that was the one that had broke. And getting the boot back on the body side..well, I`ll have to come back to that. Driver side went easier for me than the passenger side. Dont know why , it just did. Now the problem i faced next took me into the next morning, cause you can only take soo much before you have to walk away! lol! The lights were not lighting. come to find out that the connecters that were supplied did not pierce the supplied wires for a decent contact. That was fixed and the lights work fantastic! Even when I mash the brakes! Which i didnt notice till last night! Screw it! its unusual and it fits me! lol! THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!!!a How many noticed this was my first post? Well, now seceond hehe, Good cherry popper huh!?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Dontana69

Hers a picture of my little
'beast" if you havnt gone to my album yet...
Old 01-14-2010, 04:59 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Well, you have the right color...
Old 01-14-2010, 07:02 PM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dontana69
..... That was fixed and the lights work fantastic! Even when I mash the brakes! Which i didnt notice till last night! Screw it! its unusual and it fits me! lol! THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!!!a How many noticed this was my first post? Well, now seceond hehe, Good cherry popper huh!?
OK..I had that problem too when I pushed the brakes. Noticed it when I was behind someone and saw that my lights were on in my mirrors. You have the wires attached to the wrong wires. If you still have this problem, you need to attach them to the FRONT signal lamp wires, not the back ones. These wires are in the front wiring bundle.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Dontana69

Resq, will the wires be the same color? well I guess i can get under the front and look...Thank you.

Quick Reply: Side view mirror install