Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get rid of hood shake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:50 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Default How to get rid of hood shake?

This has been annoying me for a while. Every time I break around 110+ my hood starts to violently shake. The last straw came when this Maserati was trying to play with me on the interstate. We had fun but I had to back down when my hood shake got waay too violent. It doesn't help that I have the non functional hood scoop on it but I plan on removing that anyways.

I remember someone doing a mod that removed the hood shake completely. I think it was an inset in the hood that allowed air passing through the radiator to pass up through the hood after it went through the radiator. Kinda like a reverse hood scoop.

Anyone remember this or have any other advice to combat hood shake at high speeds?

BTW this isn't just for the street. The main reason I need the mod is because I take my stang out to the track and I get some bad hood shake there.

Last edited by gmoran1469; 01-18-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:56 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Hood pins are the only sure way to stop it. Some people have had success adjusting the rubber stops on the hood, but that didn't work for me.

If you don't like to poke holes into your hood, then you can get the WMS stealth pins. I have them and the hood shake went away completely, plus, they are totally invisible from the outside, although they are a bit expensive.

http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/hoodpins.html
Old 01-18-2010, 09:08 AM
mdg
4th Gear Member

how often do you go 110+? if not often, don't worry about it.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:53 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Hood pins
Old 01-18-2010, 10:02 AM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Adjusting the hood stops didn't work for me either. I had to go with hood pins.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:16 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Well my drive to work involves a stretch of interstate with large tree coverage in the middle and no way to cross over the median and that's about 1/2 my drive so I cruise around 90 to go to work and get shake sometimes if the wind is bad. I also take it to the track so I am constantly breaching 130.

I was looking at the stealth hood pins and they are super sexy. That doesn't stop the issue of pressure building up inside the engine bay though. It merely hides it.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 AM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

the problem at least with my car was the rubber thingy mid way up that is on the fender was not bearing on the bottom of the hood, I took out the bolts that holds the top of the fender down to the car, there are 3 of them IIRC. then i placed some washers under this, this brought up the edge of the fender to match the hood and caused the rubber thingy to bear on the bottom of the hood, it reduced hood shake on my car by about 90% I do have to close the hood pretty firmly now but its ok.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:40 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

My hood doesn't have that problem. The hood lines up with the fenders perfectly and I am getting solid contact. I guess that's why the shake isn't so bad till around 110 whereas I hear people having bad shake at 90-100. I have been scouring the forums and can't remember where I saw that damn thread...

It was a guy who removed his factory hood scoop and put in this "reverse" hood scoop. The scoop went into the hood instead of above it and apparently relieved the pressure from the engine bay and solved the guys hood shaking.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Hood pins for sure but I had the same issue (as well as many others here... very common).

Adjust the bump-stop about 1/4 turn up at a time and make a run each time. I found that I only needed to adjust the drivers side about 1/2 turn.

Another comment I read was to put some weather stripping (with tape) on the top of the headlight housing to help resuce the amount of air trying to get under and lift the hood.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

I also read a comment about removing the seal at the rear of the hood helps with allowing air out more freely, which should in theory reduce the amount pressure being generated under the hood.

Quick Reply: How to get rid of hood shake?