Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waiting for 2011 GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:50 AM
GEpro33

Default Waiting for 2011 GT

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone could answer a few simple questions about buying a 2011. I've only bought 2 used cars in my life (94 V6 and 98 GT) so the whole dealership process of buying a new one seems intimidating.

I wanted to buy a new GT this spring, but read that the 2011s are getting a 90 HP bump, and figured I'd rather wait. I read somewhere that you can first order them in April/May and delivery begins in July/August...is this correct? If so, do people ordering very early have priority and get them right away in July? Like if I wait til July to order, am I going to be waiting forever? What kind of wait should I expect in general? Also, do I have to pay when I order or when it comes in? It'd be nice to be able to save for a few extra months, but definitely not worth it if I don't see the car til October or something. And lastly, do they give you an exact or approximate delivery date at some point? Or do you just have to wait for a phone call?

Really pumped about this car, will be a huge difference from the 230 HP I have now.

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

A few things to think about. If you want to Mod the 2011 will not be as responsive and most likely won't have mod's coming out for it for a long time. You also won't get any money off the 2011's... Just a few things to think about there will also most likely be a wait. People waited a long time for the 2010's and some orders even got cancelled hate to see what the 2011 line will be like. If I were you... get a 2010 GT with all the options get ford to install the whipple or roush supercharger and call it a day.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:28 PM
swat 79
2nd Gear Member

+ 2 I don't think the 5.0 is gonna be a popular mustang for some of the guys on here, because it has no potential. While for many (probably me being one of them) it has enough power and is a great deal with the warranty, but the price is certainly steep.

If you want to work on your car, customize it yourself, I would get a great deal on a 10, but otherwise, go for the 11.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:50 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I don't believe the 5.0 has no potential. Take a look at the just announced GT350. 5 psi of boost and nearly 550 hp. With high compression you don't need a lot of boost to make power. Past 550, you'll need to rebuild the engine with stronger internals but you'd have to do that with a 4.6L anyway so it doesn't matter.

Even at 412 HP, Ford still left a lot on the table with the 5.0.

High compression is good. It's good for power and cleaner burning. Plus, this new engine makes everything GM and Chrysler make currently seem weak. They need so much more displacement to make similar numbers as the 5.0 and they're even running high compression too! Ford FTW!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 AM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

I agree in that if you want to mod (which is a ton of fun, its like driving a car everytime you do something), get the 4.6. Stock get the 5.0
Old 01-19-2010, 07:56 AM
jasezero
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
I don't believe the 5.0 has no potential. Take a look at the just announced GT350. 5 psi of boost and nearly 550 hp. With high compression you don't need a lot of boost to make power. Past 550, you'll need to rebuild the engine with stronger internals but you'd have to do that with a 4.6L anyway so it doesn't matter.

Even at 412 HP, Ford still left a lot on the table with the 5.0.

High compression is good. It's good for power and cleaner burning. Plus, this new engine makes everything GM and Chrysler make currently seem weak. They need so much more displacement to make similar numbers as the 5.0 and they're even running high compression too! Ford FTW!
High compression is great, if you don't get greedy and blow the motor. Two things concerned me about the new 5.0

No direct injection...gonna make running higher boost a bit more difficult. I also didnt see whether its E85 capable...E85 runs much high octane than normal gas...again making it easier to run higher boost.

Just my 2 cents on it...im sure the aftermarket will figure out how to run more than 5 psi safely, but it will take some time. A bunch of friends asked why I ordered a 2010 with the '11s coming out, and its honestly because the aftermarket support for the 4.6 is excellent, its proven to take a lot of abuse and handle a lot of power. And I needed a car so that made my decision right there.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:57 AM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

I think the 5.0 will be a good motor in some aspects, they did skim by on some of the internal components, but all in all will be a fairly good motor after the first year bugs if they have any get worked out! With the 4.6 its a tried and trusty motor, Loves to be suppercharged and loves the loud pedal! If I was to get a 5.0 I would got with 2012 just toe be safe but, if you want something to mod now and enjoy 4.6 all the way make it yours!
Old 01-21-2010, 12:06 PM
CB617
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GEpro33
Hey guys, was wondering if anyone could answer a few simple questions about buying a 2011. I've only bought 2 used cars in my life (94 V6 and 98 GT) so the whole dealership process of buying a new one seems intimidating.

I wanted to buy a new GT this spring, but read that the 2011s are getting a 90 HP bump, and figured I'd rather wait. I read somewhere that you can first order them in April/May and delivery begins in July/August...is this correct? If so, do people ordering very early have priority and get them right away in July? Like if I wait til July to order, am I going to be waiting forever? What kind of wait should I expect in general? Also, do I have to pay when I order or when it comes in? It'd be nice to be able to save for a few extra months, but definitely not worth it if I don't see the car til October or something. And lastly, do they give you an exact or approximate delivery date at some point? Or do you just have to wait for a phone call?

Really pumped about this car, will be a huge difference from the 230 HP I have now.

Thanks!
The dealers are taking orders now. I ordered one yesterday. I was told that they will start building toward the end of March. I don't know what that means for delivery date. When you order you will just need to give them a deposit. Typically $500.00 to $1000. then you pay, or arrainge financing, when it arrives. Don't pay untill you actually see the car!! Then, yea you basically wait for a phone call or email with an update. If you are not particular about options, just tell them you want the first (whatever color) GT that comes in.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:34 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

Did you figure out the price you are going pay before you did the deposit? doesnt seem all the concrete to me. What if they jack up interest to like 8% or something.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:42 PM
CB617
1st Gear Member

That is the only thing I don't know is the interest rate. If rates go way up, that could hurt me. If the dealer just raises the rates on this car I will get bank financing, but if interest rates in general go up I will have to pay higher rates. I will have about half in cash due to sale of current car so it won't be a deal breaker for me, but I can see how it could be if I was financing the whole thing.

Quick Reply: Waiting for 2011 GT