Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AM magnetic blackout panel ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:29 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Default AM magnetic blackout panel ?'s

Pics below:

I bought one of these back in Sept. A few months ago I noticed it was bubbling up like the top mat was seperating from the backing. I called AM and they were awesome about it, sent me another free of charge and all was good. It has been on the car less the 3 months and the new one is doing the same thing. I called again and they were really cool again and offered to replace it once more. I told em dont worry about it cuz the new one will probably do it too. Anyone else have this issue or have any idea what might be causing it? I only wash the car with meguires car wash and it has not seen snow/salted roads. The only thing I can think of is I live about 100 meters from the ocean, could the salt in the air affect it?

Old 01-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

very weird...and sucky

mine doesn't do that...and I live about a football field from the ocean as well. she is constantly covered in salt spray.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:36 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

I got mine from AM as well and I've had my same one for close to 3 years now and never had a problem with it. It's on my DD and this is the 3rd winter it's been through..

That really sucks. Maybe they got a bad batch. They should contact the manufacturer I would think
Old 01-18-2010, 08:24 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

I just bought and installed one very recently...too soon to see any problems...but after installing I read a few reviews of the product on AM's website that mentioned bubbling after 3 months or so. I hope I'm lucky and it won't happen but I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:24 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I've never had any problems with mine either. I keep it on when I clean my car too. Been through the east coast heat waves, and I part outside. Withstood the cold temperature out here too. It could of really been a bad batch from the manufacturer.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:52 PM
kenny17
2nd Gear Member

Mine was on for maybe 4 months and it seemed to shrink, you could see the paint at the ends after 3 months or so and when I took it off it tore around the hole for the faux gas cap so I bought the plastic one, and it looks WAY better.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:18 PM
washamur
3rd Gear Member

That's weird ...

You should seriously call them back, have them send you a new one ... SELL IT, then buy a different blackout. (GTS Tinted / SHR Honeycomb / etc.)

... just a thought ...
Old 01-18-2010, 09:45 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06BlueDemon
That's weird ...

You should seriously call them back, have them send you a new one ... SELL IT, then buy a different blackout. (GTS Tinted / SHR Honeycomb / etc.)

... just a thought ...
And then AM mysteriously sees a new magnetic blackout panel for sale by bluovalguy in the classifieds...

lol j/k
Old 01-18-2010, 10:12 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenny17
Mine was on for maybe 4 months and it seemed to shrink, you could see the paint at the ends after 3 months or so and when I took it off it tore around the hole for the faux gas cap so I bought the plastic one, and it looks WAY better.
+1

Mine had some shrinkage too (insert joke here).

The edges of the trunk lid became visible. I will never buy another magnetic panel. I'm glad I went with vinyl now.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:31 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Neither of mine shrank noticably, but the 1st one did tear when I took it off like someone mentioned earlier. I guess maybe it was a bad batch. It has not seen extreme weather changes, its been between 35-55 since the 2nd one has been on.

I still cant complain about AM, they are on the ball and offered to send a new one, and I didnt even ask them to.

Heres a strange thing though. When I took the first one off the car, I was gonna cut it up and make fridge magnets for my daughter to play with, but never got around to it. It has been stuck to the fridge in the garage, and today when I looked at it, the bubbles are all gone except for 2 small ones.

I guess I will look into a vinyl or abs one. Have to put something back there, car looks naked without one.

Quick Reply: AM magnetic blackout panel ?'s