Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple shopping?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Default Whipple shopping?

I am still 'considering' purchaing a GT500, but am also exploring just keeping my '06 GT and supercharging it.

What I need to know is a few reliable and reasonable places where I can start pricing the superchargers. I have NO intentions of dragging or racing my GT ever (outside of occasional fun filled acceleration) but since I would only do this once, I want to do it 'right'. If I go this route, I'd likely get the Wipple Generation 2 550hp kit that is intercooled. I have NO interest in prochargers. If I'm going this route, its either a supercharger or I wont be doing it. At this point, I picked Whipple for numerous reasons. I really think it has the performance that I'd like to have on tap, but its looks are as much the reason as anything. I just really prefer the way it looks over the other brand choices.

I need to check locally to see who might be able to install it, but I'm thinking it might well be done by my dad and me. But I'll definately look into the cost of having someone else do it locally as well when the time comes.

Could someone point me in a few 'right' directions as far as sellers go?

Thanks much

Andretti

Last edited by Andretti; 01-20-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:00 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

you and your dad should definitely install
it. check forum sponsers for deals.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

All sellers have pretty much the same "advertised" price due to Whipple's strict advertising policies. However, if you ask many sellers for their "best" price, you will get a significant discount. When I bought mine, I contacted Jared at Lethal Performance and asked him what his best price on a whipple HO kit would be for a mustangforums.com member. I can't advertise the price he gave me here, but I can say that it was less than advertised. Lethalperformance has a SOLID reputation and they will help you even after the check clears (more than I can say for some other sellers). Also, the whipple is not a terribly difficult install if you are at all mechanically inclined. I did mine in one weekend.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:24 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Hey Bryan,

The Whipple is definitely a great choice for a Supercharger, and as Diabolical said, call Jared at Lethal to see what he can do for you.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:40 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

PM Jared from Lethalperformance
his SN is boostaddict
see what he can do for you.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:37 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
All sellers have pretty much the same "advertised" price due to Whipple's strict advertising policies. However, if you ask many sellers for their "best" price, you will get a significant discount. When I bought mine, I contacted Jared at Lethal Performance and asked him what his best price on a whipple HO kit would be for a mustangforums.com member. I can't advertise the price he gave me here, but I can say that it was less than advertised. Lethalperformance has a SOLID reputation and they will help you even after the check clears (more than I can say for some other sellers). Also, the whipple is not a terribly difficult install if you are at all mechanically inclined. I did mine in one weekend.

+1 on lethal..

+1000 on the self install bro..pretty straight forward..if you get hung up create a thread and get the answers you need.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Andretti, your car already looks great... so just spend the money you would lose by selling your car and get the Whipple. These superchargers are very straight forward to install, so I would really encourage to install it with your dad. My son kind of helped me, as I had him stop by and help me set the supercharger in place
Old 01-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doogie65
Andretti, your car already looks great... so just spend the money you would lose by selling your car and get the Whipple. These superchargers are very straight forward to install, so I would really encourage to install it with your dad. My son kind of helped me, as I had him stop by and help me set the supercharger in place
Yeah, dad's a retired mechanic so I pretty much have access to all his tools, lift and knowledge, so going the 'install it on my own' makes alot of sense since my GT's out of its warrenty anyway. If I had a son instead of two daughters, I'd be sure to have their butts out there helping since I'd expect them to be begging to eventually drive it. As it is, the girls are too young and since their mom is scared to drive it (fear of damaging it somehow and then having to deal with me), I highly doubt to hear that request from them anytime soon either.

Did most/all of you go for the stage 2 (if it was even available at the time) or did you do a different one? If so, would any of you mind explaining why? I do want to purchase the stage 2, but I do NOT want to set myself up for a likely detonation of my engine down the road either. I do intend to 'use' the supercharger, but in no way intend to race it or really put it (or the engine) under stress outside of typical 'fun', but would love to hear any thoughts on the subject if or when I go this route.

Tough to give up the idea of buying my own shelby GT500 though....definately struggling over it but finding the right 'deal' on one could make it a reality.

Andretti
Old 01-21-2010, 07:15 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

By stage 2 do you mean generation 2? If so all of the 2.3 liter Whipples now sold are gen 2.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
By stage 2 do you mean generation 2? If so all of the 2.3 liter Whipples now sold are gen 2.
Ahh, didnt know that. Add that to the list of things I learn today....

Thx much.

Andretti

Quick Reply: Whipple shopping?