Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between SuperChargers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 11:45 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

With a centri, you'll have better off idle traction than the others on the street. A PD with street tires, you'll just spin due to the instant full boost while a freaking Prius blows by you. Unless of course you run big drag radials which are not good on the street all the time, not to mention wear out fast.

I've been thinking about a Paxton a lot recently.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:13 PM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by phatphil
vrflip, just give brenspeed a call, they'll answer any questions you may have. If your in the Saint Charles area visit the Lot, it's a church sponsored gathering of hot-rods of the greater saint louis area that is quite impressive. It's held the 3rd sat. of each month from May thru Sept. or Oct. There's usually 400 to 500 hot-rods at any given event. Have you done any mods yet?

I'm not far from St. Charles. Are you from the area? No mods yet, going to order a tune from Tillman soon, and would like a set of Magnaflows.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:21 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
With a centri, you'll have better off idle traction than the others on the street. A PD with street tires, you'll just spin due to the instant full boost while a freaking Prius blows by you. Unless of course you run big drag radials which are not good on the street all the time, not to mention wear out fast.

I've been thinking about a Paxton a lot recently.

Very well put SirKnightTG. I have a Paxton and it makes tons of power but as you stated it lets me "hook up" where as my friends with TS blowers spin trying to find traction. I've driven both, in fact my girlfriend has a Roushcharger and all that instant tq & power is nice but she can't hang against my Paxton. The centri gives you "streetable" power that you can use and is basically a belt driven Turbo. Here is a great example of "non-streetable power", my friend has a GT500 with an upgraded TS blower and is putting down 645 RWTQ but the problem is he can't use it. Any time he goes into boost he just burns the tires even at 90 mph he still burns the tires. The problem is that the TS dumps the full boost all at once, there is no way to easy into the power its either all the way on or all the way off. Where as my Paxton comes in at low boost and then builds to max boost allowing my car to use all of the power. Both SC's are loads of fun but "you" have to figure out how you want the power and what is your over all goal for your SC.

Good luck
Old 01-20-2010, 01:31 PM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Wouldn't just lightening up on the gas pedal fix that problem?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:39 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

The trick to traction with a PD blower is to emulate what the centri does or what Top Fuel dragsters/funny cars do. Gradually apply power to the rear wheels and only let it transfer full power once you're a long ways down and moving fast. Whether it's by going easy on the gas pedal, slipping the clutch, or properly tuning the slip and lock up times for the torque converter.

What the Top Fuel cars do is have this weird clutch system where it's on a timer and it will slip a certain programmed amount and "slowly" lock up more and more clutches reducing the amount of slip depending on how much time has passed. So while the engine the entire time is making full power, it's being transferred gradually. This is equivalent to gradually building up power in the engine (centri/turbo) while not having any slip in the trans area.

So while it's possible to get traction with PD, it's much harder to do and a task most fail at. At least for a while.

Last edited by SirKnightTG; 01-20-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:47 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VRFlip
Wouldn't just lightening up on the gas pedal fix that problem?
feathering the throttle is one way.
getting better traction is a better way.
having too much power is a good problem to have, IMO.
that means with better traction, you got a faster car.
the SC battle TS vs Centri is a debate that will go on and on.....
Old 01-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Flyingpants
2nd Gear Member

and on and on and on....LOL
Old 01-20-2010, 02:41 PM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

Default Brenspeed Power Adder Buyer Guide

This is an old article but it will help. It is a Power Adder buyers guide. It does not include a few of our other options we have out now but does answer some of your questions. When it comes to blowers the questions at times can never end. Just give us a call and we can help answer what you do not see in the article. We not only install a big variety of blowers weekly we have raced with all of them. I would say there is not one package that is for every person, but after you determine what your goals are there is certainly a package that will meet your needs. Whether it be Paxton, Saleen, Vortech, or Edelbrock one of those would make about anybody happy.

I attached a link to our entire tech section. Scroll down to the 5th article titled Mustang Power Adder Buyers Guide.

http://www.brenspeed.com/tech.html

Old 01-20-2010, 03:05 PM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VRFlip
I'm not far from St. Charles. Are you from the area? No mods yet, going to order a tune from Tillman soon, and would like a set of Magnaflows.
Yes, I live in St. Charles, I've had my car since April of 2006. I started modding as soon as I got the car. I've always had excellent results with any purchases or installs from Brenspeed, they're one of the best vendors I've ever dealt with.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:07 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

I'm in the same area... Just wish I had the jack to go FI.... Breenspeed isn't that far from us... 6 hrs or so...