Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I had my first oil change yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:08 PM
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

Default So I had my first oil change yesterday....

Went to the dealer for my first oil change. It was at 3k miles like they suggested and it was free.

The change itself went fine and I spent most of the time chatting with the parts dept. They kept asking me what I thought of the 2011.. I guess that is what life is going to be like for us 2010 owners., "The '10 4.6 is great.. but the '11 5.0..."

Anyway, when I got into the car I noticed he had me stickered for my next change at 6k.

I went back into the shop and asked the service writer why he did that when the manual states 7k miles between changes. He said that is just what they set it up as but he could set it to 5k mile intervals. I told him I just wanted to make sure that the oil they put into the car can go 7k and not 3k. He said it was the correct weight for the car. I was about to tell him that did't answer my question when another service writer tells me, "We use the hybrid synthetic oil so it can go 5k miles but 7k is just pushing i. Ford just wants to sell more parts."

So he was claiming that going 7k miles is bad for the car. Is this true? I am leaning heavily toward going by what the manual states but these were blue oval guys. So I am a little confused.

Thoughts?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:16 PM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Who you gonna believe, the engineers that set the 7k guidelines, or some local that changes oil for a living? Not to mention, you won't get them all for free, so of course they'd love to see you back every 3k.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

7k is with Synthetic Blend isn't it? Full synthetic can go even longer.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:00 PM
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

Are they rquired to put synthetic blend in the car? I guess I ama little concerned that they choose to put traditional oil in the car and not the blend if given the choice.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirDrums
Are they rquired to put synthetic blend in the car? I guess I ama little concerned that they choose to put traditional oil in the car and not the blend if given the choice.
My dealership said they'd go with synthetic blend unless otherwise specified. I paid more for full synthetic. Check your receipt or call them up. Conventional oil is fine, but don't go 7k miles on it.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:03 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

I also have the 2010 but mine is a V6, the owners manual says every 7500 miles. I think that this is way too long personally, althought I agree that obviously Ford engineers know better than your average grease monkey. I called the dealership service department to ask when the first oil change should be done the service writer said at5,000 miles. That number sounds acceptable to me, as I would rather spend the money for more frequent oil changes versus paying for a new engine for waiting 7500 miles in between.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:52 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirDrums
I guess that is what life is going to be like for us 2010 owners., "The '10 4.6 is great.. but the '11 5.0..."
Prolly just until the 5.0 becomes old news.

I'm sticking with the Motorcraft semi-syn since I've read so much good about it. 5K intervals. Oil threads are always fun.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:12 PM
sicride
2nd Gear Member

Hybrid synthetic is just a fancy way of saying semi-synthetic. Unless a vehicle comes with full synthetic from the factory, like the 2011 5.0 will, a performance engine usually recommends semi-synthetic oil but does not require it. 7k or 7.5k mile intervals are normal recommendations from the factory now due to closer tolerances and less friction built into the engines. The oil composition does not necessarily determine the life of the oil. Most manufacturers still state 3 months OR any given mileage. For most people 3 months comes first. This time based recommendation is based on regular condensation in oil and water does not lubricate well.

I work for a well known automotive service company and we no longer can write a due mileage or a due date. We have to write oil change stickers as mileage service was performed and that date. When customers ask me what mileage they need to have it changed next I do two things, tell them what their manufacturer recommends and that I personally change my oil every 3,000 miles despite the fact that my owners manual says I can go 7,500 miles.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Zoom_H
1st Gear Member

personally i do 5000 interval just so it's easier to remember when to change oil. 5000, 10000, 15000, 20000, etc...
Old 01-26-2010, 10:37 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

while u can change ur oil to the requirements of the manufacturer (7500) i wouldnt suggest it. I change mine every three months or 4000 with synthetic. Like previously stated it doesnt hurt to change ur oil before the 7500 b/c really ur just adding life to ur engine. i think everyone has a difference of opinion on this so i guess it really just comes down to how many miles u drive and the type of driver u are.

Quick Reply: So I had my first oil change yesterday....