Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 03:36 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Default Time for new tires?

Decent tread but the rubber looks terrible. Is it time to toss these out and get new ones regardless ? All 4 look about the same wear and tear. These are stock tires, which I want to get rid of if my pocketbook allows it. IF they need to be replaced immediately, then I will find a way.

This specific shot is from passenger rear.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

If your gonna buy new rubber why not save some more cash and get new rims with rubber... unless you want to stick with the stock rims...
Old 01-30-2010, 05:32 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I was looking to get some new rims. Some "sport editions" on tirerack caught my eye but they seem to be a house brand. Not sure if I should just dump these now or wait a few months. One part of my issue is I don't want to store the old rims/tires since I will be moving in late spring but if the tire change needs to be done soon, then I'll just have to.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:43 PM
BadSteed
1st Gear Member

Them tires will run for awhile. If you get a new set and run them hard they will look the same way. Save your money buy new rims and tires. Your car will look so much better! If you buy rims, Jump to the bigger sizes, Really changes the look and you will have better brake options down the road.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:58 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

They don't look great but not something I'd replace immediately. And can someone explain how you save money when buying tires AND rims? Do they come as some kind of package deal?
Old 01-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

Sometimes they do have package deals... but if your going to spend the money on tires for your stock rims why not spend the money on tires to some new rims...
Old 01-30-2010, 07:14 PM
imfamousjim
1st Gear Member

those are fine... thats what spirited driving looks like (Was the bodyshop autocrossing your car?).
Wait till you can buy wheels and tires together. (Then keep your stocks for racing). So many places have awesome deals on package deals for these cars that it doesn't end up costing you much more than just tires. also, I'd say go with 18's... great for availability, price, and fit.

Last edited by imfamousjim; 01-30-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:42 PM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

They look good to me.. but do the penny test. If they pass that then you're good to go.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:09 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by imfamousjim
those are fine... thats what spirited driving looks like (Was the bodyshop autocrossing your car?).
Wait till you can buy wheels and tires together. (Then keep your stocks for racing). So many places have awesome deals on package deals for these cars that it doesn't end up costing you much more than just tires. also, I'd say go with 18's... great for availability, price, and fit.
OMG, I wouldn't be surprised that they took my car for a good run. I found a CD in my car and some coins in the cup holder....

I was thinking of going with 18" rims, there seems to be a much larger selection.

I was looking at tirerack.com, and discount tires. What are some other good sites to find good combination packages?

Looking for all season tires since this is my DD and winters are rather mild here, so no need for additional winter tires. Plus I can't really afford to spend more on them.
Seen these recommended for another GT that is located in MD also.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Pole+Position

Last edited by alkemist; 01-30-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:22 PM
imfamousjim
1st Gear Member

a CD? anything nice? hopefully that rattling speaker didn't come from them rocking out the shop with your shaker.

I'd check out mustang specific places. americanmuscle has some good stuff. I ended up getting a killer deal on my 20's from wheelreplica.com but their website isn't great so you may do well calling them. Also, if you have any good local wheel places it's always good to support them!

Quick Reply: Time for new tires?