Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight regret to going HID, PIC inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:11 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Default Slight regret to going HID, PIC inside

well since i can afford to go gt500 front end i decided to buy some stuff to spice up my car. I picked up the stack racking upper grille and a set of 6k hid from retro.

Install and the product quality was great, not a problem going in. Once in i noticed "hotspots" where before i never saw. Also it seems like there really bright right in front of the car and fade where as with the stock bulbs i felt had more universal light output. But the part that is lit up, man its nice. The highbeams are perfect, just low beam problem.

I want to adjust them to raise them a bit to even out the hot spots but i dont wanna blind people too much with the glare. That brings me to my second problem. my car is winking at others, haha unreal. I got a new headlight (driverside) and that the side that seems to have more hotspots but better cut off where as the passenger side is the factory housing but seems to have more glare and eyelashes.

Any one else has a similar problem?

There 6000k, and the color is perfect. I wouldnt buy another color if i did it again. Nice white color and not a ricey blue at all.

This was taken about 10' away from the door
Old 01-31-2010, 08:19 AM
degeze
5th Gear Member

I have the 6k kit too but I don't have the issues that you are having. On the right headlight, you may have a alignment issue with the glare shield.

As far as blinding people, I do get flashed from time to time but I checked the angle adjustment and it is exactly what it should be. I did adjust them down a little more to help though.

After installing mine I was suprised at how much brighter they were than stock, now it's almost like all the signs glow.

Last edited by degeze; 01-31-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:28 AM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

+1 I think mine are angled a little low and have yet to be flashed... I love them compared to the stockers...
Old 01-31-2010, 08:37 AM
iDance
2nd Gear Member

You're not going to eliminate hot spots until you do it correctly with a projector retrofit.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

1. I wonder if perhaps the "eyelashes" are intentional, so as to illuminate road signs without throwing a lot of light above the horizontal left of road centerline. My understanding is that the low-beam pattern for the older European H1/H2/H4 lighting was intentionally designed with that in mind.

2. The GT fog lamps will do a good job of filling in slightly dark regions, at least the one close up.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-31-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:55 AM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by iDance
You're not going to eliminate hot spots until you do it correctly with a projector retrofit.
I kind of figured that. I would like to a true bixenon projector retrofit, i think out headlight buckets would make a really easy retro. I just dont have the time/money to buy everything.

Norm: Yeah i could see that, i did notice before i had the driver side light replaced it too had the eyelashes. My fogs did fill in the voids where my stock low beams missed. Right now there off because i bought the delete grille and planning on mounting them behind the grille. I think i may use yellow bulbs in them also.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:03 AM
iDance
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eslhockey92g
I kind of figured that. I would like to a true bixenon projector retrofit, i think out headlight buckets would make a really easy retro. I just dont have the time/money to buy everything.

Norm: Yeah i could see that, i did notice before i had the driver side light replaced it too had the eyelashes. My fogs did fill in the voids where my stock low beams missed. Right now there off because i bought the delete grille and planning on mounting them behind the grille. I think i may use yellow bulbs in them also.
I'm going to do it to my 2010 next month, so I can shed some insight on the install and cost at that point if you're interested.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:26 AM
degeze
5th Gear Member

I think i may use yellow bulbs in them also.
I too have thought about having yellow fogs.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:19 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

idance: i know the kit i want. I saw it on i think theretrofitter.com or something along that line. It was an acura/nissan fx factory biexnon projector with the plug and play kit. The kit was like 3-400, i was gonna get a used set of headlights and tear them apart and retrofit them. I know the finished product and light output would be awesome and done correctly. I figured between parts and unforseen parts id spend about 5-600 bux to refrofit them. I just dont have 5-600 to use towards headlights. I really dont NEED hids.

Good luck on your install!!

Id like to put hids in the fogs but im not gonna drop another 200 for them. I think having the stock bulbs in with the 6k would look funky. But if i used yellow it would be clear there different. Ive always liked the yellow fogs, so for now theyll be yellow. I gotta mount them first
Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Ive always liked the yellow fogs, so for now theyll be yellow. I gotta mount them first
Post pics when you get them installed.

Quick Reply: Slight regret to going HID, PIC inside