Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Brenspeed Tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:02 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

Default Considering a Brenspeed Tune

I got a custom tune made at a local shop but, being that I don't really "know" the shop and was recommended it by a friend who doesn't know much about tuning I am a bit concerned about what I got. I have a few questions for you guys about the Brenspeed 93 tunes.

Do you guys run rich? I know that my tune has led to my exhaust tips blackening badly.

Where do you guys notice power gains? I only notice then in the upper RPM band (around 3k+) and the gains are made noticeable "all of a sudden", it's not a smooth increase and if I am really driving I break loose at the time of the gains.

And finally, are you guys happy with the tunes?
Old 02-01-2010, 08:17 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Oh yeah, I'm super happy with Brenspeed. Power gains.. once I step on the gas!! Even with the slightest tap. I have an automatic but I can tell the difference right away. I'm going to have to get new tires (I have stock tires) soon just so I can get better grip on the road.. right now my tires (when I'm at a stop) will spin if the surface is wet just trying to accelerate like I used to, and it's not WOT.

Mind you, I am just using the 87 octane right now too. This is with a BBK CAI, and the only performance mod I have right now.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:22 PM
CalmLikeaBomb
2nd Gear Member

Ive had Brenspeeed tunes from day one...from when my car just an intake / tune car to the boosted beast it is today. Air fuels are spot on and Ive never had troubles at all.

I know personally first hand its hard to trust a tuner that isnt local to you, but these guys seriously know what they are doing, and I havent had a reason to let my local shop tune the car yet. Being rich isnt a bad thing, at the end of the day youd rather be rich than poor from running lean and having to repair

The 3krpm thing isnt tune related from what Ive heard, all of our cars do it. Even my girlfriends stock tune "wakes" up at 3k.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Stop considering and just do it! I have tried many tune files from different vendors and while the other tunes have their own allure to them (aggressive acceleration, hard shifts, etc.), I always find myself going back to Brenspeed for their all-around balanced tunes. They show the best balance between power and driveability; specially on an automatic daily driver.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:03 PM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

never have experienced the bren tune, i use bama, but i can say from a guy who used a local shop. local shop charged $250, bama $50, had the "rich problem" REAL bad, guy could not fix it. emailed doug, he sent me the tune, have not switched since, running 93 no rich problems anymore, and fixed the stupid header code problem. all i would say is go with the bren tune, or bama if i can bump you that way. it will be better than the local tune and you wish you would have gone that way from the beginning as it probably cost you more than the $75 i think brenspeed wants
Old 02-01-2010, 11:11 PM
68ss350
2nd Gear Member

i have the brenspeed tune and couldn't be happier with it.... I've had it for almost two years. If you're running stock tires then i would be breaking loose everywhere too, however with my stock tires and my tune they broke loose once i mashed it. The customer service offered by Brenspeed is second to none. Hope this helps oh ya BTW i don't have the richness problem either
Old 02-01-2010, 11:19 PM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

I love my brenspeed tune. They mainly focus on 3k and above and it does feel good even on low RPMs as well but it feels like a monster when your getting on the freeway.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:19 PM
joutcelt
2nd Gear Member

go with brenspeed
Old 02-02-2010, 07:53 AM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

I ended up paying $500 for an SCT LiveWire Programmer and a custom tune. He was selling the SCT programmer for $550 and since my buddy knows him I got the programmer for $500 and a free tune basically. It was a good deal, just I didn't get what I wanted. Just ordered my Brenspeed tune for 93 octane, can't wait.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:54 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

3-3.5k is where my car really wakes up too. All stock...

Quick Reply: Considering a Brenspeed Tune