Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any one get ear pressure from their cars?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:07 AM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Default Any one get ear pressure from their cars?????

Please i hope i hope im not the only one.

Ever since i started playing with my exhaust, after more than 2-3 hour drive my ears would kind of bother me later in the day. Most of the exhaust i had did have some slight drone like boomtubes, JBA, MAC chambered. But i just shruged it off and enjoyed my car. Now my set up is o/r x and m-80s w/ LM (home made MM) and its near everyday i have slight ear presure that stays.

Now my ears always kind of bother me from the exhaust note. I thought before there i may have something wrong with me and it wasnt car related. Ive had all kinds of test even a cat scan and nothing so im pretty sure its from my car.

The thing that stinks is i think its the v-8. My last car i had a blazer with a 4.3 and i made an exhaust for that droned like a ****. To a point you had to almost yell to talk to each other, the 33" superswampers didnt help ither. but i drove it to flordia a few times and nevered had a problem. I almost feel like the frequencey/tone of the v-8 with free flowing exhaust just affects my ears because in my buddies hemi truck with gibson exhaust i feel the pressure too while driving.

When i had the stock exhaust it never bothered me and when i had the corsa i never noticed it but i hated the exhaust note from them.

What worries me is i joined the navy as an air rescue swimmer. I will be in the water ALOT and diving. My brother is in the same program and say people who have ear problems can get droped from the program from going to medical alot. as much as i love my car id be pissed if its a contributing factor to getting med droped from my program.

Sorry for the story, just weird. Ive never had this problem before. Any one else out there have this or herd of it before
Old 02-03-2010, 09:42 AM
CalmLikeaBomb
2nd Gear Member

I have almost the same exhaust setup as you , but just with an OR / H. My sense of hearing isnt all that great to begin with, but sometimes the loudness bugs me, but often times Im happy it sounds so agressive. It seems to bark everytime I get on the gas, and to me, thats worth it lol

Either way, maybe crack your windows a bit? One night when I was next to a straight piped EVO, our exhaust resonated at the same tone, and it really put pressure on my ear drums. It wasnt wide open throttle loud, just the resonation was perfect and our drones were enough to vibrate our cars. Maybe thats what you are hearing.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:10 AM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CalmLikeaBomb
I have almost the same exhaust setup as you , but just with an OR / H. My sense of hearing isnt all that great to begin with, but sometimes the loudness bugs me, but often times Im happy it sounds so agressive. It seems to bark everytime I get on the gas, and to me, thats worth it lol

Either way, maybe crack your windows a bit? One night when I was next to a straight piped EVO, our exhaust resonated at the same tone, and it really put pressure on my ear drums. It wasnt wide open throttle loud, just the resonation was perfect and our drones were enough to vibrate our cars. Maybe thats what you are hearing.
Yea my hearing is very good. When i was getting med cleared for the navy they said my hearing was great. The loudness doesnt bother me at all. I love how my car sounds its constant speed driving where it gets me but ive never been bothered my constant speed drone before untill my mustang. Ive been thinking of o/r h also.

The window cracked does help, but isnt a fix. Ive tried the seats up, down, left one up/right one down and vice versra. My m-80s are very close and almost dead next to eachother. I know that can cause some droning. It frustrating cuz i have a nice car finally, ill have it in Florida in a few months and finally got it sounding nice and now i get ear pressure.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Maybe it has to do with climate and sinus pressure..

I get sinus issues all the time and its not related to my car. Has to do with the weather. The additional frequency from your car could be aggrevating it..
Old 02-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Centurion96
2nd Gear Member

Ear damage from high decibel levels or resonant frequencies is cumulative. You may not notice it at first as it's a slow process. I worked around jet engines for six years and wore ear plugs and sound suppressors (we called them Mickey Mouse ears) and still suffered some hearing loss starting at 3000 hertz and going up through all of the audible harmonic frequencies. We had to have our ears checked every 2 years and the damage didn't show up during testing until after 4 years.

I wear shooters ears every time I mow the lawn now because without them the exhaust drone of the mower will cause me to experience a tingling/buzzing sensation which will last for an hour or two after I finish.

You have a choice to make, quiet your exhaust some or pick another MOS. It's a small price to pay to live your dream.

BB
Semper Fi
Old 02-03-2010, 11:47 AM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Not trying to be an ***, but if you really believe your exhaust may be causing you problems that could possibly force you to reclass from a job you like, then you need to change it. If not, then maybe they should reclass you to a MOS that does not require much common sense cuz I think you might be lacking. Again, not trying to be mean, but exhaust sound aint worth that.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:11 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

The only ear pressure I get in my car is from my wife
Old 02-03-2010, 12:15 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluovalguy
Not trying to be an ***, but if you really believe your exhaust may be causing you problems that could possibly force you to reclass from a job you like, then you need to change it. If not, then maybe they should reclass you to a MOS that does not require much common sense cuz I think you might be lacking. Again, not trying to be mean, but exhaust sound aint worth that.
I agree 100% I have a chance that doesnt come around often and not to many people. I leave for basic in 2 months and ill be in pensacola for a good bit. Ill wait and see how things pan out with it once im down there. If it becomes and issue the exhaust is gone hell, by than i may want to get back in a truck again Im not gonna risk my future to a loud exhaust.

Just curious to see and any one else as this issue
Old 02-03-2010, 12:24 PM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eslhockey92g
...had all kinds of test even a cat scan and nothing so im pretty sure its from my car.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! What, no MRI? Cheap-*** insurance companies!!!

No seriously dude, I'm sure it has nothing to do with your car. Wait 2 months, I'm sure it will be cleared up by the time you leave for basic.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:30 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
The only ear pressure I get in my car is from my wife
How true.

Quick Reply: Any one get ear pressure from their cars?????