Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank you FordEngineer!!!! SYNC and NAV Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 02:11 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Default Thank you FordEngineer!!!! SYNC and NAV Thread

I am starting this thread so that we can all discuss the wonderful SYNC and NAV system in our Mustangs. I want to make sure to give a huge THANK YOU to FordEngineer for the work he has done on this system AND for being kind enough to come on here and help us all learn more about it.

This is my 9th Ford in a row and the first with SYNC and NAV. The system is really a joy and has so many features that I sometimes am surprised when I find a new function to play with.

So, post up your thanks, admiration, likes, dislikes and let's all learn how to get the most out of SYNC and NAV. Further, let's provide our feedback to FordEgnineer so he can continue to improve on what already is a great system.

Post away.......
Old 02-04-2010, 03:27 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
So, post up your thanks, admiration, likes, dislikes and let's all learn how to get the most out of SYNC and NAV. Further, let's provide our feedback to FordEgnineer so he can continue to improve on what already is a great system.

How about just likes, dislikes, feedback, and Q&A?
Old 02-04-2010, 03:30 PM
BlackDeath3

Originally Posted by FordEngineer

How about just likes, dislikes, feedback, and Q&A?
Oh, come on, don't be bashful now!
Old 02-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

As a person who's job is closely tied to information from engineers, I have a great respect for them. People like FordEngineer, who seem to enjoy their jobs are the best to work with. Kudos to you FordEngineer.

I do have a question for him though. I have seen some people talk about aftermarket dash kits and infer that SYNC capabilities can be retained after removal of the stock radio head unit. I dont see this as being likely, but I would like to hear it from the proverbial horses mouth.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:00 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xcelsius
I have seen some people talk about aftermarket dash kits and infer that SYNC capabilities can be retained after removal of the stock radio head unit. I dont see this as being likely, but I would like to hear it from the proverbial horses mouth.
Well, I will say that it's not likely, but know that SYNC doesn't live on the radio head. It's a module (black box) that lives above the glovebox on the 2010 Mustang. That said, the SYNC module just has the processor, code, USB ports and such in it, and interfaces with the SYNC controls in the vehicle through special wiring harnesses. It also still interacts with the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM), and the Audio Control Module (ACM), which DOES live in the radio head.

So, I guess my real question is: are they saying SYNC [theoretically] can be retained because the real guts of SYNC live on a different module, or are they saying they [actually] swapped radio heads (and ACMs), and still got SYNC to work? You know which way I'm leaning.

So there you have it. May not be directly from the horse's mouth, but it's certainly not
Old 02-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

And knowing is half the battle, thanks!
Old 02-04-2010, 05:45 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I have a question regarding iPod connectivity. I will put my iPod into a particular Genre using the SYNC controls. Then I will ask it to shuffle. The system will show it is shuffling from a total of say 1325 songs (actual number is unimportant). It is all going swimmingly - UNTIL - I shut off the car, run into the store or get gas or whatever, then when I turn the car back on, it is now shuffling only the 16 songs which are on the last album it was playing. It somehow forgets about the entire Genre and only uses the songs from the album that was playing when I shut the car off. This means that I have to go back through the steps of telling it to look at the entire Genre again.

Why does this happen and is there a way to correct it?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

I have a question regarding a new commercial ford put out... It was a fusion commercial... It talked about a command like, Play similar tracks, and it creates a playlist of similar music for you. I was wondering if this is available on the 2010 Mustang with Nav and sync?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:34 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

I bought my Mustang off the lot. I had no intention of getting Nav, I was more interested in performance options (actually I was looking for one with a glass roof). After a test drive and a pile of incentives, I purchaced this car with SYNC and NAV.

I must say, I am really glad I did. I have 6K on the car and the electronics package really is a joy.

Best features:
-Hands free bluetooth
-On Board Hard Drive (Jukebox)
-USB connectivity for MP3 players and HD (Creative Zen & WD Passport)
-Backup Camera (At first a novelty, but rapidly turned into a necessity, makes parking extreamly easy!).
-Sirius Info for traffic and weather intergrated with Nav. (love the gas price feature)
-Easy to use NAV

Could Improve (nitpicking):
-USB port locations (one in the glovebox and one near the "sync" badge on the console would be nice).
-A more noticeable clock, like an option to replace the sound graph/climate info with a larger clock display. (a lot of first time passengers ask where the clock is).
-An opening for usb/line in cable between the cupholder and the rear console bin so the MP3 player is handy when plugged in.

All in all, the SYNC/NAV system is a real enhancement to owning a Mustang and I would reccommend to anyone buying one to concider it.

Good job FordEngineer! Job 1 well done.

Last edited by GTjoe49; 02-05-2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 02-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

@GTjoe49
I used a 3" USB extension cable in my center console to plug my USB flash drive into and it freed up a ton of space and greatly reduced the likelyhood of breaking the USB port or flash drive from tossing something else in there. Ford, IMO, should throw one of these in with every new Mustang. It also would be nice if there were a USB port/cable hanging out in the glove box where it would be a lot more convenient to store a USB thumb drive long term. I can't be the only one that bought a large, fast thumb drive just for use in the car, can I?

Last edited by Napoleon85; 02-05-2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: fixed error

Quick Reply: Thank you FordEngineer!!!! SYNC and NAV Thread