Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door speaker install - complete

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:40 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Yes I did it myself and the doors are easy. A metal trim panel tool is very helpful. You don't need to bother with taking off the door release cable, there is enough room that you don't have to entirely remove the panel.

Definitely get the factory harness adapters from Crutchfield. They will save you a bunch of time and aggravation.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:28 AM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

Hi. I got my speakers but still unclear about taking the door panel off. First, the sub woofer speaker grill, does that come off with the door or does it snap off seperately from the door? Regarding the plastic insert behind the door handle, that just prys off? And the sail shaped plastic at the top just snaps off too?

I got the Crutchfield wire adapters and speakers, all set to go once I am sure I won't break anything in the process. 8-)

Joe

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
Yes I did it myself and the doors are easy. A metal trim panel tool is very helpful. You don't need to bother with taking off the door release cable, there is enough room that you don't have to entirely remove the panel.

Definitely get the factory harness adapters from Crutchfield. They will save you a bunch of time and aggravation.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:34 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Don't worry about the subs, the "cover" comes off with the panel.

The little plastic panels do snap off. The "sail panel" comes off really easy. Pry the one on the door (with the window switch) towards the front, it comes off a little easier that way. Pry the one behind the door handle from the bottom.

Once you have everything loose, just lift up the door panel and pull it away from the door. You will have enough room to work w/o removing the cable.

I have some of these panel tools, they really help with a lot of stuff on newer cars.

Last edited by WeinerDog; 02-18-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:27 PM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for your quick reply. I don't have any panel tools so I am hoping regular screwdrivers will do!

Joe

Last edited by jocatch; 02-18-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:55 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

For this, screwdrivers will probably be fine if you're careful. BTW, when I said pry the one behind the door handle from the bottom, I mean the lower one by the armrest (not at the door release handle).
Old 02-19-2010, 02:57 AM
USAF in Germany
2nd Gear Member

I bought the plastic panel removal tool from critchfield and it was a waste of money. It is very brittle; snapped the tip within minutes of starting the job. As seiner states, screwdriver will work as long as your carefull the little cover behind the door release removes easy. Just pry softly at the edge near the rear of the door. The one mistake I made, and thank goodness it wasn't disastrous, was not seeing the screw on the center of the door behind the door handle. I pulled on the panel and the plastic anchor popped from the door frame. Scared the shiZNit out of me, but the anchor just popped right back in. Gonna tackle the rear deck speakers this weekend if time allows. Will take pics of the process.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

just a tip, but if your in a pinch and have to use a screwdriver or something metal, get some painter or masking tape to wrap it with so you dont scratch the finish. I have had to do this while working on aircraft and its a good precaution.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:10 PM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

Yes, please take photos as I have seen this topic come up a few times in the past but never any photos. I plan to do the rears too after I get the doors installed. Thanks!

Joe

Originally Posted by USAF in Germany
I bought the plastic panel removal tool from critchfield and it was a waste of money. It is very brittle; snapped the tip within minutes of starting the job. As seiner states, screwdriver will work as long as your carefull the little cover behind the door release removes easy. Just pry softly at the edge near the rear of the door. The one mistake I made, and thank goodness it wasn't disastrous, was not seeing the screw on the center of the door behind the door handle. I pulled on the panel and the plastic anchor popped from the door frame. Scared the shiZNit out of me, but the anchor just popped right back in. Gonna tackle the rear deck speakers this weekend if time allows. Will take pics of the process.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:14 PM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

Great tip, thanks! The last thing I want to do is scratch or break anything!

Matter of fact, anyone know how to remove scratches from the plastic on the door? One day I got in the car and grabbed the seat belt and swung it out to far and as I was pulling it forward, put s nice scratch in the plastic door panel. Rats! I need a good way to remove that. Anyone else find themselves hitting the door panel with their seatbelt tabs?

Joe

Originally Posted by Xcelsius
just a tip, but if your in a pinch and have to use a screwdriver or something metal, get some painter or masking tape to wrap it with so you dont scratch the finish. I have had to do this while working on aircraft and its a good precaution.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:16 PM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for your help. I will have time on Sunday so I plan to install the speakers then.

Joe

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
For this, screwdrivers will probably be fine if you're careful. BTW, when I said pry the one behind the door handle from the bottom, I mean the lower one by the armrest (not at the door release handle).

Quick Reply: Door speaker install - complete