Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinion leak and transmission leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:41 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Default Pinion leak and transmission leak

Ok, so I was looking under my car on Saturday and noticed a fat droplet of oil hanging from the differential. I investigated the area and the casting is soaked in oil toward the front of the housing where the driveshaft intersects the diff. Wow. I couldn't be more disappointed in the endurance of Ford products. A pinion seal failure? Already? At 35,000?

Then I noticed today, while fighting with the very poorly made Pypes mid-pipes I bought, that the transmission housing has a very light oil line on it down to the lowest part of the housing. Wow.

Are these failures normal? Is this what I can expect from Mustang ownership? I'm beyond pissed. I've had Hondas in the past that I've beat the hell out of endlessly and never had failures like this. I made an appointment with the dealership and will be dropping the car off tomorrow. Hopefully they'll take care of it and not randomly place the blame on me or some such nonsense. I have the CPO warranty and I'm still within the factory bumper to bumper warranty as well.

The car is nearly stock, I flashed the car back to stock. I stay on top of maintenance and the car has made all of 6 passes down a drag strip.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:52 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

You are over reacting. Cars are not perfect, these types of problems happen to all car manufacturers. When cars are mass produced, there will always be a margin of error. Asian cars and German cars have problems at low mileage as well, people are ignorant. If anything happens to a ford they blame it on car being a ford. If something happens to a honda or toyota then nobody says anything, other than well cars are not perfect. Toyota is not doing so well with all its recall's recently anyways. I have never had any issue with any of my Fords.

Ball joints breaking on a Honda!
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/lower...int/index.html

I have seen many many pictures of broken ball joints on them

Last edited by volcomchester18; 02-07-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:55 PM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

^^^+1
Old 02-07-2010, 08:10 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by volcomchester18
You are over reacting. Cars are not perfect, these types of problems happen to all car manufacturers. When cars are mass produced, there will always be a margin of error. Asian cars and German cars have problems at low mileage as well, people are ignorant. If anything happens to a ford they blame it on car being a ford. If something happens to a honda or toyota then nobody says anything, other than well cars are not perfect. Toyota is not doing so well with all its recall's recently anyways. I have never had any issue with any of my Fords.

Ball joints breaking on a Honda!
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/lower...int/index.html

I have seen many many pictures of broken ball joints on them
I've owned 8 or 9 Hondas at this point. Never had a ball joint break, never even heard of that happening it's so uncommon. I just don't understand when I can take a stock Civic Si down a drag strip for 25+ passes back to back within an hour and a half (did it in my 05) without a single issue and my Mustang is already crying for mercy.

I don't think I'm overreacting. The trans and rear diff are very important critical parts of the car. If it were a dash rattle, or an alternator, perhaps I'd agree.

Anyway, anyone else going through pinion seals? A search on google showed people going through them annually on 8.8 inch rear end Fords. Pretty fail...
Old 02-07-2010, 08:19 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by replica
I've owned 8 or 9 Hondas at this point. Never had a ball joint break, never even heard of that happening it's so uncommon. I just don't understand when I can take a stock Civic Si down a drag strip for 25+ passes back to back within an hour and a half (did it in my 05) without a single issue and my Mustang is already crying for mercy.

I don't think I'm overreacting. The trans and rear diff are very important critical parts of the car. If it were a dash rattle, or an alternator, perhaps I'd agree.

Anyway, anyone else going through pinion seals? A search on google showed people going through them annually on 8.8 inch rear end Fords. Pretty fail...
I have beat the **** out of two mustangs I have owned never had any issue. Civic SI has no torque, what is going to break??? A small leak on the pinion or transmission is not a big issue, its just the seal. BTW, just because your Honda's didn't break down doesn't mean they never break down. I have talked to people that have owned Acura RSX with transmission blowing at very low mileage (under 10k). Cars are not perfect, even airplanes with the most advance engineering can have a mechanical failures.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:21 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

I have beat the **** out of two mustangs I have owned never had any issue. Civic SI has no torque, what is going to break??? A small leak on the pinion or transmission is not a big issue, its just the seal. BTW, just because your Honda's didn't break down doesn't mean they never break down. I have talked to people that have owned Acura RSX with transmission blowing at very low mileage (under 10k).
Great. Honda sucks.

Back to the issue at hand, is a pinion seal failing this early to be expected? The transmission leak?
Old 02-07-2010, 08:28 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by replica
Great. Honda sucks.

Back to the issue at hand, is a pinion seal failing this early to be expected? The transmission leak?
I wasn't saying that Honda suck just making a point.

No its not expected, I have never seen both a transmission and pinion seal leak that early. A small number of people on here may have had the pinion leak early, I am not sure. I dont think there is a TSB for it.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:41 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

I wasn't saying that Honda suck just making a point.

No its not expected, I have never seen both a transmission and pinion seal leak that early. A small number of people on here may have had the pinion leak early, I am not sure. I dont think there is a TSB for it.
Great, thanks for the info. I'll skim the TSB's just to make sure.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:51 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

Dropped it off at the dealership. Poor Mustang.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:33 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

The rear pinion seal leaking is a common problem from what i've read.

I have the same issue but I only have 22,000 miles! I won't take my car to Ford which makes it worse so I will replace it myself on my dime and time.

I also was plagued with the bad top mounts on the front struts and the solid rear makes more noise then one could imagine.

In the end the car is a sports car and is the best priced sports car in my opinion. While you don't expect to have these problems, that is what you have a warranty for.

Anyways it's not big deal so that's the good news.

-Jeff

Quick Reply: Pinion leak and transmission leak