Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaker hood scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:21 PM
aks801

Default Shaker hood scoop?

Apologies up front if this has been asked many times over: didn't find my answer using Search.

My interest has been piqued in getting a Mustang. That 2011 GT is gonna be sweet. Anyway, I love the look of the shaker hood scoop, going back to the '69 and '70 models. I don't think this is an OEM option, so who makes a shaker scoop that could be used on the current models? Would it require a whole new hood, or is it a matter of taking a sawzall to the stock hood?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Nutty2003
2nd Gear Member

Classic design concepts.... and I just masked the whole front end... used a grinder on the straight cuts and jig saw on the corners its a great kit... simple install after you get some courage
Old 02-10-2010, 07:49 PM
aks801

Thanks Nutty. Glad you like it.

I just read an online article on the kit and installation, by Mustang Monthly. Looks exactly what I was wanting. Not cheap, but not exorbitant. Plus it is functional, which I definitely wanted.

This car could be a TON of fun!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Casey4s
2nd Gear Member

I used a jig saw on the whole thing because it makes a cleaner cut.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Nutty2003
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Casey4s
I used a jig saw on the whole thing because it makes a cleaner cut.
I would debate that with you anytime... grinder with a good wheel cuts our hood like butter and is a smooth cut where as the vibration of the jig saw can create some awkward edges.... of course this is all pretty irrelevant considering they give a nice trim ring that covers your cut regardless....

I say eBay is your friend... I found mine there new about $275 cheaper than my favorite websites

And they are conversation pieces... everyone asks about it hood up or down... cruising or parked
Old 02-11-2010, 06:59 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Here, everything you need in that thread.
Use the stickys guys...
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...c-and-vid.html
Old 02-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Casey4s
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nutty2003
I would debate that with you anytime... grinder with a good wheel cuts our hood like butter and is a smooth cut where as the vibration of the jig saw can create some awkward edges.... of course this is all pretty irrelevant considering they give a nice trim ring that covers your cut regardless....

I say eBay is your friend... I found mine there new about $275 cheaper than my favorite websites

And they are conversation pieces... everyone asks about it hood up or down... cruising or parked
I got mine on eBay too in 2007, it was $450 or so I think. You just have to be patient and look for a good deal.

I do a good bit of sheet metal work mostly with Aluminum and I have always found it easier and cleaner to use a jig saw (when you can't use a band saw). But what is most important is to use whatever kind of tool that works best for YOU.

When I cut the hole in my hood I varied from the printed instructions a bit, for one thing I cut through the template, hood, and blanket all at the same time instead of the printed method. I got no rough edges and perfect corners.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:13 AM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

I've never done a hood scoop, but when using a jig saw put some bees wax on the blade to help with cooling and catching of some material. You could also have someone with an air nozzle blow away the material that is being thrown everwhere while you are cutting.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Nutty2003
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Casey4s
I got mine on eBay too in 2007, it was $450 or so I think. You just have to be patient and look for a good deal.

I do a good bit of sheet metal work mostly with Aluminum and I have always found it easier and cleaner to use a jig saw (when you can't use a band saw). But what is most important is to use whatever kind of tool that works best for YOU.

When I cut the hole in my hood I varied from the printed instructions a bit, for one thing I cut through the template, hood, and blanket all at the same time instead of the printed method. I got no rough edges and perfect corners.
You and I both said to hell with the disassemble I just kept a jug of water close to see if I started burning up the blanket... no problem though and everyone knows those Damn "christmas tree" pins never hold the same after you've taken them out once
Old 02-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Casey4s
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dstang10
I've never done a hood scoop, but when using a jig saw put some bees wax on the blade to help with cooling and catching of some material. You could also have someone with an air nozzle blow away the material that is being thrown everwhere while you are cutting.
The Aluminum hood cut so quick it didn't have a chance to get very hot in my case. There was very little aluminum sawdust, most of which fell through to the moving blanket I had over the motor, then what ever I had left I blew off with an air nozzle like you did.

Quick Reply: Shaker hood scoop?