Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT500 vs saleen vs 11' GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 10:22 AM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

GT 500!!!!! to me the saleen is ugly, the styling looks so early to mid 90's the graphics and just everything that is saleen, it looks worse on this generation of mustang, because the factory did such a great job with styling it already, anything added detracts from the look.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:42 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I just heard my car cry a little . . .

To each his own. Coming from an M3 I like having something that still corners pretty sharply. I haven't driven a GT500, but a few magazine reviews suggest it isn't as agile as a stock GT (though considerably more powerful).

With my tools and time I'd rather have engine mods to deal with than suspension, but that's just me. Perhaps others enjoy doing the suspension more.

A pulley upgrade, fuel system, and tune, and I should be gunning for GT500's in the straights and leaving them hard in the corners. Yes, their internals are good for higher power. But for how and where I drive anything above 500hp is never going to be used to the extent that it could be. And this is coming from a 25 year old.

He should drive all three and then make his decision. And drive them like he'll want to drive them. If he likes straights, judge them in a straight line, and if he likes corners, judge them there.

I love the look of both Saleens and GT500's. Honestly, hate having Saleen written on my car, which is why it's no longer on my windshield. But I do respect all the parts and work they've put into my car.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:36 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Siggyfrued, Thank you, in this S 197 section, that was exactly my point. If your talking about a driver's car, and usable street HP, it's all about the Mustang GT. You can easily fit out the entire suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, and at the same time drop 210 lbs(72 lbs of that being rotating mass) off the car with various items, so your getting lighter and more agile plus gaining power 310rwhp (360 HP) with bolt ons staying N/A with 3:73 gear ratio.

All for under the cost of a GT500. A 3275lb fit out 06' ($17,000.00 stock, used) GT for example, keeping it N/A @310rwhp plus having 72lbs less rotating mass then a stock 06 GT, faster gears, Alum. DR, light wheels is real fast from 0-85 let's say, and the cornering being splendid. That's a driver's car for a total of about $28,000.00 Erik
Old 02-14-2010, 09:08 AM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

Eolson, obvioualy you didn't read the whole thread. By the time these 2011s come out the GT500s will have had 4 years of mod time. How many stock 3920lb 540HP ones do you still think there are out there....especially considering that not all of them even came out of the factory to those specifications. Within a month of having my car it pushed more than that to the rear tire... So thanks for trying to throw in your .02, but make sure you catch up on all the reading before hand. The 2011 Mustang GT with it's aluminum pistons can't hold enough HP to outrun my GT500 in a drag...and it might have HAD a better suspension out of the box, but since I'd had plenty of time to address that situation as well I don't think it'll be a problem either. Not to mention that I still have how much time lefttil the '11s release? And that it's not like there's going to be a plethera of aftermarket parts waiting on the 5.0 as soon as it hits the showroom. Combine that with the fact that the 2011 is going to have a premium charged to it since it'll be the first year out...and you can pick up a used GT500 still under warranty, probably under 10K miles for probably less than $35K (less than sticker on the 5.0)......hmmm....what really makes the most sense. That's ok though. Tell him to get a used GT now though.

Last edited by distantsoldier; 02-14-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:16 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Well just for reference sake, I picked up my Saleen for $25k even with 4800 miles and 2 years left on the powertrain. That would leave me ~8-10k to 'mod' and be caught up with a GT500 power wise. It could be done for 2k. It could be done with a new forged shortblock for an additional 4-5k.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:07 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Get a vette haha. Used C6s can be had for low 30s and will outrun a gt500 and outhandle a gt. Plus the stability control actually works. If he plans on needing 4 seats, get a mustang, but if its just him and his wife, the c6 will get better fuel economy, handle better, and accelerate faster than the mustangs. Flame suit is on.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:33 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
Get a vette haha. Used C6s can be had for low 30s and will outrun a gt500 and outhandle a gt. Plus the stability control actually works. If he plans on needing 4 seats, get a mustang, but if its just him and his wife, the c6 will get better fuel economy, handle better, and accelerate faster than the mustangs. Flame suit is on.
I actually think thats a great idea. The C6's are fantastic cars all around. If you need 4 seats for 4 adults, forget a mustang hehe. At least in my car they're impractical for all but my midget hookers.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:57 PM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Well just for reference sake, I picked up my Saleen for $25k even with 4800 miles and 2 years left on the powertrain. That would leave me ~8-10k to 'mod' and be caught up with a GT500 power wise. It could be done for 2k. It could be done with a new forged shortblock for an additional 4-5k.
That's an awesome price for a Saleen...and like my first post said, I love the look of the saleens...but it would cost you like 4-5K for the short block, then you have to look at a new clutch, fuel injectors, new tranny, driveshaft, upgraded brakes, fuel lines, fuel pumps, programer, tune, dyno time...

You got a great deal on a 4 year old car that was already supercharged though...imagine if it wasn't and you had to add up all that cost and then supercharge it too. That's what I went through. To get a regular GT to the level of a GT500 would cost as much or more than a GT500 and would never reach the potential. Like the old saying goes...there's no replacement for displacement.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:10 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Distantsoldier, actually since this thread is in the Mustang GT section, I guess mentioning used GT's, and how much of a faster better handling street car you can get for the money and intelligent modding is relevant. Who cares how much power you have, you'll always have a really heavy car.

The all new Shelby GT350......... 3950lbs Oink Oink Oink .. Erik
Old 02-14-2010, 11:56 PM
sadface
2nd Gear Member

the gt500 tranny and motor are very strong and will let u mod it but really other then making up for short commings how usefull is anymore then 500 hp on the street

the saleens will eat a shelbby alive in the corners but u can take the money you dont spend adding power to the saleen and add it to the suspension of the shelbby really its a cluster f*ck which ever way you go its personal pref i say just get a ls1

Quick Reply: GT500 vs saleen vs 11' GT