Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear view mirror dimmer

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 07:52 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by incorrigible
I believe those are sensors for the active security system.
That would be correct sir.

Not sure how you would turn off the dimming feature. I have no issues with mine. What is the issue you are having??
Old 02-14-2010, 09:16 PM
unfinished91

Originally Posted by Lax07
don't think there is a way other than buying a new mirror... the new mirrors on the 2011 may have the option to turn that off since it will also have homelink...
Have you seen info that states the 2011 will come with Homelink? The first 2011 release from Ford stated the 2011 would have a universal garage door opener, lighted sun visor, and sun visor storage. This release has since been edited and those 3 items were removed. the 2011 I saw at the Houston Auto Show had the Homelink in the sun visor. I questioned Ford reps and they said the 2011 would not have the Homelink. The 2011 on display did not represent the production version.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:44 PM
JaggedEdge
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wilkinda
That would be correct sir.

Not sure how you would turn off the dimming feature. I have no issues with mine. What is the issue you are having??
With the dark tint on the rear window you can't see a thing out back
JE
Old 02-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JaggedEdge
With the dark tint on the rear window you can't see a thing out back
JE
Sounds like you should invest in some street legal tint :P

Just messing with you, but seriously that does sound dangerous.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:06 PM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by unfinished91
Have you seen info that states the 2011 will come with Homelink? The first 2011 release from Ford stated the 2011 would have a universal garage door opener, lighted sun visor, and sun visor storage. This release has since been edited and those 3 items were removed. the 2011 I saw at the Houston Auto Show had the Homelink in the sun visor. I questioned Ford reps and they said the 2011 would not have the Homelink. The 2011 on display did not represent the production version.
The 2011 5.0 I drove for testing (TT Build) DID have HomeLink buttons in the visor.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:32 AM
JaggedEdge
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Napoleon85
Sounds like you should invest in some street legal tint :P

Just messing with you, but seriously that does sound dangerous.
It is legal. Installed by the dealer but between the tint and dimming mirror you can't see much at night.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JaggedEdge
It is legal. Installed by the dealer but between the tint and dimming mirror you can't see much at night.
You might want to consider pushing back on the dealer then and see if there is anything they can do to prevent the mirror from dimming. Unless they made you sign a release indicating that this was for off-road use only then it sounds like they have created and unsafe driving situation for you and it would be in their best interests to remedy the situation.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:02 PM
jocatch
2nd Gear Member

Wow. I have the opposite problem, my auto dim mirror doesn't work good and bright lights from behind me bother me. And this is the second mirror. The first one that came with the car didn't work at all, they replaced the mirror and cracked my windsheild (with 700 miles on the car, see other thread on repairs).

The only thing that helps is I have a pedistal spoiler on the back which blocks alot of my vision and light from behind.

Joe
Old 02-16-2010, 01:34 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jocatch
The only thing that helps is I have a pedistal spoiler on the back which blocks alot of my vision and light from behind.
Joe
Perhaps the spoiler is blocking enough of the light to not allow the dimmer to work properly? Just a thought.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:37 PM
BL00DSH0T
2nd Gear Member

The two square sensors under the mirror are for the auto dimming. The Sync mics I believe are behind the rear view.

You can simple unplug it but you will loose the ability to use the mics. That or just cut some vinyl or electrical tape to cover the sensors. I will probably do the electrical tape options too as I don't like the auto dimming feature. I know on the Armada I had you could turn it off.

Quick Reply: Rear view mirror dimmer