Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pinion flange install

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 12:28 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default pinion flange install

I picked up a dynotech driveshaft and it looks like in order to install this you need to put in a whole new pinion flange. Is it not preferable to install something like the coast, that has an adapter, versus putting a whole new flange in?

I mean look at this. I don't have an impact wrench, a gear puller, or a lift. The adapter plate would've been way easier than this.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ll-w-pics.html

These are advertised as "simply unbolt the old driveshaft and bolt in this new one". While that's technically true it sure seems to make this sound easier than it is. Especially when the other, cheaper driveshafts with the adapters, are going to be a simpler install.

Am I missing something?
Old 02-15-2010, 12:33 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

do you have pics of what you received, my
dynotech came with an adapter plate and it
really was, unbolt the old and bolt in the new.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Look at the link I posted in the OP.

That plate there? That looks exactly like what came with my dynotech. And you have to get the pinion nut out and put it back in if you've got one of those.

Unless I'm missing something here...

Here.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...S/IMG_9329.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...S/IMG_9397.jpg
Old 02-15-2010, 12:47 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

well it'll all work out. i know some guys prefer
that style of mounting over using the adapter plate.
if you have all the parts and you think the shaft you
recieved is the correct size, then you are good to
go. taco will be your guide.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:26 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

You've got two options. Return the driveshaft and buy a direct bolt in 3.5" driveshaft from Shaftmasters OR pay a shop to install the one you have. An impact is going to be needed to remove that pinion nut. Plus your going to need a puller most likely to pull the flange off the pinion shaft. Then to install your going to have to make a holding bar to bolt to the flange so you can use a torque wrench which if memory serves me correctly needs to be set at 140/150 ft lbs to torque the nut. Then again you may be able to get away with just setting the parking brake to keep the axles from turning. You CANNOT use an impact to install the nut because you may end up crushing the preload sleeve against the pinion bearing ruining the correct preset bearing preload.

If I were you I'd just pay someone to do it. It may be cheaper than shipping the shaft back or having to pay any restocking fees.

Last edited by timmbo; 02-15-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I don't have an impact wrench nor do I have a puller to get the flange off if I needed it. And I'd be doing it on jack stands.

Not a real happy camper ATM. This is the most expensive shaft on the market and is sold as an easy install when in fact it's the hardest to install out of the 3 types you can get. Doing that flange isn't rocket science but it's a PITA without the tools or the lift.

Simple "unbolt the old and bolt in the new" yeah right. Both lethal and brenspeed advertise it like that. Stupid!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 09:15 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
I don't have an impact wrench nor do I have a puller to get the flange off if I needed it. And I'd be doing it on jack stands.

Not a real happy camper ATM. This is the most expensive shaft on the market and is sold as an easy install when in fact it's the hardest to install out of the 3 types you can get. Doing that flange isn't rocket science but it's a PITA without the tools or the lift.

Simple "unbolt the old and bolt in the new" yeah right. Both lethal and brenspeed advertise it like that. Stupid!!!
So whats your plan?
Old 02-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Once I quit being cranky about it I'm going to check sears and see how much a gear puller and impact wrench will set me back. Then call the shop that did my gears and see what they want. Depending on the difference I'll make a decision.

Returning it would be a hassle because I bought it from a local acquaintance who is starting up his own performance shop. I'd rather not unnecessarily strain my relationship with him by forcing a return when there is nothing wrong with the shaft.

If I could go back in time I'd get a TRUE direct bolt in or one with an adapter plate. How they advertise this thing is just stupid. :/
Old 02-15-2010, 10:07 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide

You are blaming dynotech because your buddy hosed you? Dynotech driveshafts do come with an adapter plate, not a pinion flange. Call the number on your Dynotech driveshaft (it is a dynotech, right?) and get an adapter. Or better yet ask your buddy what he did with it. FYI a real dynotech will not work with a cobra pinion flange, it's too short.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Noone is blaming dynotech for anything.

The dynotech came with a plate that looks literally IDENTICAL to the one in the writeup I posted on the OP. This is where all the confusion is coming in.

I asked brenspeed just now and they insist the pinion nut never comes out. This is a 15 minute job. You take the plate the shaft comes with and bolt it right up to the stock flange. Then you bolt the driveshaft in with the rear of it bolting directly up to it.

The confusion comes in because I've never done this before, because the plate the shaft comes with looks exactly like a replacement flange, and because there is no documentation that comes with this thing.

Quick Reply: pinion flange install