Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kenne bell and tuning questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:42 PM
05stangguy
1st Gear Member

Default kenne bell and tuning questions

In short, as most of you know, Kenne Bell makes it EXTREMELY clear on their website and in their products manuals that you absolutely should not mess with their tunes for their cars. They have, what seems a ton of research to back up their claims, showing how they have dyno tested thousands of these cars. To me, it would seem they know best. YET, tons of people seem to use a different "tune" with these cars and a kenne bell blower. My question is why? What is the point of getting a dyno tune with a kenne bell blower? Why not just use their tune as they say to and not mess with it? Just trying to understand, thats all. Thanks!

chris
Old 02-17-2010, 12:31 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

maybe the problem is that you read it from the kenne bell website. Yeah, I know you are generally not suppose to mess with their stuff but a lot of mustang folks question what they post on their website. buy the way kenne bell does make some good stuff but I just went with a whipple.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:46 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Roush and Saleen say the same thing with their blowers.

The issue comes down to reliability and User Error.

People get over-eager and want too much...or their tuner messes up a vital part of the tune...and blows the motor.

From KB/Roush/Saleen and the others, you get a DECENT tune file for your PCM. And I am being generous with the term "decent". My RoushCharger tunes frankly sucked *** for what they were...on average guys found an extra +30 RWHP with just safe tuning...no mechanical changes.

by saying you shouldn't mess with the tuning, the companies essentially wash their hands clean of any issues that occur if/when you do get custom tuned. can't say I blame them
I just wished the tuning they provided was a bit edgier...but it's hard to be 50 state legal and factor in all the different things like altitude, temperature, gasoline quality

that is why you get the "safe" tuning that they provide...they've proven it to be safe everywhere in the country with a minimum altitude and gas quality
Old 02-17-2010, 04:33 PM
05stangguy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
Roush and Saleen say the same thing with their blowers.

The issue comes down to reliability and User Error.

People get over-eager and want too much...or their tuner messes up a vital part of the tune...and blows the motor.

From KB/Roush/Saleen and the others, you get a DECENT tune file for your PCM. And I am being generous with the term "decent". My RoushCharger tunes frankly sucked *** for what they were...on average guys found an extra +30 RWHP with just safe tuning...no mechanical changes.

by saying you shouldn't mess with the tuning, the companies essentially wash their hands clean of any issues that occur if/when you do get custom tuned. can't say I blame them
I just wished the tuning they provided was a bit edgier...but it's hard to be 50 state legal and factor in all the different things like altitude, temperature, gasoline quality

that is why you get the "safe" tuning that they provide...they've proven it to be safe everywhere in the country with a minimum altitude and gas quality
This makes total sense, thanks Tylus. I think what got me is, I have never seen a company so blatantly say, basically " DON'T F*** WITH OUR S***!" If you read their manuals on their website, you know what I mean, it's just the way they word things. Guess it worked, because now I'm scared ****less to try and do a custom tune on a KB mustang!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:24 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

we have a couple of companies locally that offer tuning, but honestly I wouldn't trust any of them to tune my car and it doesnt' even have a supercharger. bottom line is there are alot of people offering dyno tuning that don't know what they are doing. KB wants satisfied customers.

the only reason I can see to custom tune a KB setup is if you have something unique with your supporting mods that would alter the tune.

the KB blower IMO is the best deal for the money out of edelbrock, saleen and whipple, it is the larger blower and has more potential. but the nice thing about edelbrock is brenspeed sells it and has a ton of support for it as well as custom tunes to fit just about any need.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:28 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

I think it is more of a reliability issue on the KB blowers and that is why it is stated. I talked with Saleen this week and they will only give you a year warranty on the blower with the exact kit you purchase. So I couldn't just order the base kit from JDM, buy a smaller pulley off ebay, bigger injectors, and a new air intake with a single custom tune from JDM, Brenspeed, etc. I could do that, but if my internals somehow malfunctioned on my blower, the old Saleen would not back up their product. I know KB is a real good company(way too overpriced for my budget) but a custom dyno tune should be best for their installed product on your car.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:32 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05stangguy
In short, as most of you know, Kenne Bell makes it EXTREMELY clear on their website and in their products manuals that you absolutely should not mess with their tunes for their cars. They have, what seems a ton of research to back up their claims, showing how they have dyno tested thousands of these cars. To me, it would seem they know best. YET, tons of people seem to use a different "tune" with these cars and a kenne bell blower. My question is why? What is the point of getting a dyno tune with a kenne bell blower? Why not just use their tune as they say to and not mess with it? Just trying to understand, thats all. Thanks!

chris
They also state their tune runs 25 degrees of timing! Nothing safe about that. They must be relying on the knock sensors to pull timing.

Anyone out there with a KB tune have a dyno run showing timing at wot?
Old 02-17-2010, 07:45 PM
05stangguy
1st Gear Member

Glad this is sparking some conversation....keep it comin guys...
Old 02-17-2010, 07:55 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

The thing is at one time their webpage said the timing was 17 degrees and the knock sensors would pull it if needed. They also had a "shootout" tune that locked the timing at 17 degrees and warned about how you had to pay attention and get out of it if there was detonation. Now they have this "25 degrees" thing and are quoting horsepower numbers using race gas.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:08 PM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

KB say's there is no increase in hp past 25 deg. and they rate they rate there kits at 23-25 deg. The timing on the street tune is not locked and floats depending on the variables controlling timing. Ie air temp, knock etc.

Quick Reply: kenne bell and tuning questions