Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05-09 vs 10-present

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:27 PM
iDance
2nd Gear Member

I prefer the 2010 exterior... which I why I bought one.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:28 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MARZ
Maybe because not everyone shares your opinion that the 2010's rear end is less-that-desirable?

Not all but most. This is a common complaint all over the net and if you just go around and ask random people on the street, the majority say the same thing. My parents hate the new rear. They say it looks cheap and like a Jap import. I agree, which makes me sad since I love Mustangs so much. The rear was a step back...way back.

I don't want to hate, I really don't, but that's the truth. I really want a 5.0 or 2012 Boss 302 or 2010 GT500 but I think about that rear and I get second thoughts. Because of that, I am seriously considering a new challenger or camaro. Yes, it's THAT bad, LOL!

Last edited by SirKnightTG; 02-23-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:31 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iDance
I prefer the 2010 exterior... which I why I bought one.

So do I, except for the rear. The rest is BA.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:34 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

And this is all of the dead horse beating I will do for now...
Old 02-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You're echoing the many threads that have discussed (and have been locked by the admins) heatedly.

My thoughts is that, typically, the older the crowd the more they prefer the '05-'09 over the '10 due to the more retro look of the '05-'09s to the original Stangs. I have to admit that the 5.0 is tempting enough to make me consider the new body style despite my shared disdain for those items you mentioned. Some things can grow on you...
Old 02-23-2010, 06:37 PM
MARZ
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Not all but most. This is a common complaint all over the net and if you just go around and ask random people on the street, the majority say the same thing. My parents hate the new rear. They say it looks cheap and like a Jap import. I agree, which makes me sad since I love Mustangs so much. The rear was a step back...way back.

I don't want to hate, I really don't, but that's the truth. I really want a 5.0 or 2012 Boss 302 or 2010 GT500 but I think about that rear and I get second thoughts. Because of that, I am seriously considering a new challenger or camaro. Yes, it's THAT bad, LOL!
See, I guess that's what I don't understand. Ford does something other than the "same old" and all of the sudden it makes it Jap or Euro? Okay, some don't like it; not everyone will. It's the most polarizing aspect of the new design which, in my opinion, makes my 2007 look plain and boring. A few (when juxtaposed to the buying public as a whole) people on Internet Mustang forums hardly represent the Mustang community as a whole, or the buying contingent. Most of the people I've spoken to have a hard time telling the difference between the 2005-'09 and the 2010 Mustang. The rear end never gets mentioned.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:39 PM
MARZ
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
You're echoing the many threads that have discussed (and have been locked by the admins) heatedly.

My thoughts is that, typically, the older the crowd the more they prefer the '05-'09 over the '10 due to the more retro look of the '05-'09s to the original Stangs. I have to admit that the 5.0 is tempting enough to make me consider the new body style despite my shared disdain for those items you mentioned. Some things can grow on you...
You're right, I apologize for beating the proverbial dead horse. All of the complaining in the world isn't going to change anything. And, you're right, a 412 horsepower 5.0L will make the rear end look much better.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:41 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RichieCal
Ok maybe it's just me but I think Ford got it right the first time with the 05-09's.I think the back of the cars looks way better.I don't like the new tailights, and the bottom of the rear bumper,and the side rocker moldings not painted to match the color of the car is a mistake.I do like the new hood,but the grill and the front bumper on the 05-09's looks more aggresive.I can't argue with the new 5.0 over the 4.6,and the new interior is a upgrade,but I'll take my round chrome AC vents anyday!So let the debate begin!
As already stated, that debate is raging in the search function.

I love my car (05). I love my buddies car (10). I will love the new car (11). Seems to be to much "mines better than yours" going on with this topic. They may be different, but they are all the same. And they are all good!
Old 02-23-2010, 06:42 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Funny, cuz I remember when the '05s came out, everyone had an opinion about the rearend(tail lights too big, bumper too bulky looking, etc.), but against the 2010(again IMO! hahaha), the '05-'09 rearend looks lower & more Mustang-like. The 2010 looks newer(yes, I do admit), but it's because of the smoother, less creased look, but then again Ford put a lot of lines on the new model that look great on a dark colored car, but make you scratch your head on a lighter colored car(again IMO!). I think the fog lamps aren't very noticeable with the new car, but the headlamps look sinister, the car looks overall lower than the older car, but that butt sticks a mile in the air, confusing to my eyes. I think the GT500 with the Gurney Flap rear spoiler(and those stripes!) help out a lot to take your eyes off the half-baked tail light treatment Ford did on it.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:43 PM
iDance
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
So do I, except for the rear. The rest is BA.
I have a fix for it in the months to come.

Quick Reply: 05-09 vs 10-present